Redpill me on a business administration degree

redpill me on a business administration degree

what is the ultimate business degree? I would like to work in the music industry with my degree.

Why would you need a degree to work in the music industry? Just meet some connects and go from there. I have a handful of friends who are kind of big in the EDM scene. Most artist are pretty self sufficient. Running the books for shows and or overseeing stagehand deals would be fairly niche and a good entry point imo

short yourself

I would like to work for a big streaming company like Spotify ideally. A MBA would most likely help right?

I would not know, as I don't even have a highschool diploma. I just meet really cool people and stick to what I do good and opportunities just fly my way. I usually do things on my own terms, and look down upon such blue collar jobs. I have pretty much everything I need to be content and happy. I'm a simple user.

sounds like you have a nice gig going

The music industry isn't a real industry. There's 100 loser music fags for every 1 job. Might as well get a film studies degree and do the movie industry! Or a roller coaster degree and manage theme parks! Yaaaay you want to do something fun not a boring old office job like everyone else, am I right?

I'm breaking into the music industry as well and there's definitely enough money to get paid six figures doing something cool. In my experience in the industry in NYC (WMG) they like you to have as much music related shit on your resume as possible. IDK how old you are but if you can't get an internship at warner or UMG then get an internship at a smaller music company and it actually goes really far. If you can also prove that you're doing something music related on the side then you get bonus points

Also commuting to local uni to get my MBA as well

thats fine, just make sure you intern multiple summers at a music industry company, and a big one. you can easily land a job doing that. would help if you go to school with music business.

dont listen to , he has literally no idea what hes talking about. i work at a major music industry company, job is aite, but its entry level and my first job outta college. i went to music school, and got a degree in music biz. all my music biz friends who interned at large companies all got job offers. i was too busy trying to make it in a band like a dumbass instead of doing internships. luckily, bro worked at a company and put in the good word.

srsly tho, just do whatever you have to in order to get an internship. then just dont fuck up, and youll have a job outta college

Only business degrees that are worth the time and money are Finance and Accounting

Everything else is a meme degree

the more broad the degree, the more useless it is.

business admin is a meme that only prepares you to make phone calls. unless you're supplementing with job experience or certifications, kind of a dumb move. but dumb moves are fine if you are going to a party school. you'll meet people and work with them later.

as far as the music industry thing, you have two options if you can't find a mentor: hard math or software engineering. if you enter by traditional means you'll have 15+ years of doing dog work until you get a chance to manage anything.

I'm a senior in high school right now (18 don't worry mods). Thanks, I'll definitely be on the hunt for internships now.

would you recommend a degree in music business over a BA degree?

You're not working there without a top 20 CS, CompE, or EE degree. Sorry.

Indeed. Although those degrees are primarily geared for analysts and accountants.

I was basically in the same boat you were in 4 years ago.
Decided it was smarter to get a degree in CIS (business admin.) instead of pursuing my true passion in being a music producer.

Ended up receiving an paid internship in Washington D.C. that is valued around 15-20k and more alongside managerial positions at my school. Still am producing music, just on a lesser level.

The way that I see it is there are millions of "musicians" in this world but only a certain number of people in my field all vying for a job. This certain number will get even smaller when intelligence is factored.

Just pick something that has the highest chances of making you money, and pursue whatever you want to do in the music industry as a extracurricular. That way, if anything does come across your way in the music industry it will make you look even more impressive in the business field; same can't be said vice versa.

doesnt really matter, its up to you. if you're gonna go BA, just make sure you're doing something relevant in the music industry. manage some bands, or book shows or something. that way when you apply for internships, you'll have some pull and experience. if you go BA and dont have any other music experience, you wont get a chance as there are so many other people with music degrees or in the process. where are you looking at for college?

Business major/econ minor here. I would say the ultimate combination is Econ major/cs minor.

I have high ACT/SAT scores, but a low GPA from dicking around the first 2 years in high school. Planning on going to UNF or FSU for my bachelors, and UF for my MBA.

The music scene is decently sized in Jacksonville, so I think I could manage to gain some experience with local bands.

This is true for undergrad for sure, although I would put economics/econometrics in there too, its not very vocational but its a valuable major nonetheless, which can't be said about trash like management or marketing

I would say Finance major math minor still beats that, and it doesn't hurt to learn a language (I mean coding or actual other language) too no matter the degree. Some people shit their pants these day for bilingual or multiple language speaking people

No one cares Florida fag