299 792 458 m/s

I want to know, why is speed of light exactly that much? Why does light not make a couple more meters every second? Why isn't it half as fast?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=msVuCEs8Ydo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think your question is better for Veeky Forums

But in case I'm wrong, bump

it isn't. The speed of light can vary.

>$c=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}}$
>tl;dr constants and shit, might as well ask why isn't Planck's constant a bit bigger

I hope this answers your question. Otherwise I would recomand you to study theory of relativity.

Why am I not on Veeky Forums?
Oh right, the grass.

Not talking about slowing down light with atmosphere or gravity. Don't be childish. You can't make it go faster.

Wrong

effective speed can.

>why isn't Planck's constant a bit bigger
That's actually a good question too.

Because God made a universe with physical attributes that can support life.

Or... in any event, if those things changed we wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Anthropic principle

Why =/= How

There is no why, that we know of, the universe doesn't have a reason to be, it just is.

Science isn't concerned with why, just how. Answering why is a matter relegated to philosophy and theology

Because God is a jerk who won't let us explore space

So it's more like many dimensions explanation. We are in that one that can host life... and you are saying this world got randomly this amount of speed of light.
That migh be so.
How big was the range? Could the speed of light be round 300 000 000 m/s and still make the world ok for life? What would differ if it was twice as slow?

Because our universe is a computer simulation and it just happens that the variable c has been initiated with that value in this particular iteration.

How did it happen that speed of light is that much? Was it pure chance?
Btw. Fuck you.

fock off to your STEM fag!

According to atheists, yes, according to theists, no.

Pick your poison, you rude fuck.

What can be said of the outside (real?) universe?

>your STEM fag!
>your
That's bait, right?

t. Yours truly Stem fag.

But there must be more on how different world woud be with different speed of light? Could it even exist?

language is a social construct.

We can't conceive of it because we don't possess the conceptual apparatus for it. My guess fractal multiverse. As above so below.

>My guess fractal multiverse
But if we are a simulation inside another universe, this would imply a chain or a tree of universes with a root. There would be an original world containing all the other worlds. Every contained world would have to consist of less information than the previous (higher) one.

- see, you can say something about that.

See Everything is possible desu we might be able to prove it at some point, we have no way of knowing how much of a impact it would make until then tho.

Bullshit. I just fucked up by posting my question on Veeky Forums. Hypothetizing about different speed of light would require building a theoretical model of the universe with new parameters. How speed of light impacts other elements of this "machinery" and how it effects the evolution of the universe.

It literally wouldn't matter.

Why didn't God just make it so he can redeem us all at the click of the fingers?

Them's just the breaks.

I only know that there are lasers that can travel hundreds of times the speed of light and if you point them towards eachother you can create a black hole/ boil the fabric of space and tear it.

First, the speed light isn't really the speed of light, it's the maximum speed of information propagation - or to put it another way, the maximum speed of causality. Massless particles all interact at this speed.

In the end, it's a limit caused by Lorentz transformations:
youtube.com/watch?v=msVuCEs8Ydo

Mind you, causality isn't absolutely inviolable, and different observers in two different frames may disagree about the order of events in a third, due to relativistic effects, but generally speaking, this convergence is what prevents things from happening faster than they do.

Which is basically the explanation.

As for the grand "why", I dunno... It's just how shit came to work. Sometimes shit just happens. I suppose the limitation does provide a sort of great filter, in that any civilization that wants to spread among the stars more or less has to get its shit together first, likely having to abandon any infinite growth model in the process, and thus any civilization successful in spreading beyond its cradle will likely be "mature" enough to minimize its destructiveness and spread, ensuring every such civilization will still have a chance to reach its potential, rather than having a situation where the first civ bent on infinite expansion colonizes the entire galaxy. Whether that's evidence of intent or just dumb luck (or even true) who the fuck knows...

but c is more like a result of the parameters, not a parameter itself

Ok, tell me more.

The youtube video seems to be touching something, but stops at popsci.

Well, that's sadly always the best you can hope for without the maths (that is, after all, why we have pop-sci) - but there are some links to the hard explanations if you click the Youtube button and open it up, should you be so inclined.

>why is speed of light exactly that much?

why are you using m/s to measure it? What even is "distance"/"time"?

social constructs are social constructs