Lets talk dividends

What do you think of dividends? Are they worth it?

What dividend stocks do you own?

How much do they pay out?

At what price did you purchase them? What price are they now?

Is Coca Cola a worthwhile investment with their 3.3% quarterly dividend.

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~charvey/Teaching/IntesaBci_2001/FF_Value_versus.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i've been in the market a few years now and started off a really conservative investor, and still am, but i'd say no, i make much more profit off trades that do not have a dividend.

a lot of dividend stocks are already mature and aren't going to have much profit growth, so the price of the stock stays stagnant or even drops.

if you are older and just want a stable source of income, with a little bit of growth in the stock price to match inflation, dividend stocks would be perfect, but as a younger guy i'd say you will lose out on a decent amount of money with them as opposed to more growth orriented stocks

What if i want to keep the stock over the long term?

Solid advice here.

>growth oriented stocks

Such as?

depends on how long term you are talking, but as i said you will not make as much as with growth oriented stocks even in the long term

it depends on what you want to do, if you are just looking to make a small return on your money without paying much attention to it rather than keeping it in the bank or something that is mostly what dividend stocks are for.

if you want to make a good return, put your money elsewhere. you will have to monitor non dividend paying stocks a lot closer though and make sure you believe in the future of the company.

HQY
YNDX
NTNX
YUMC
AMD

The holy Quint. Praise kek.

Thanks man.

I'm 26 and I'm trying to construct a basic investment portfolio. Iv already maxed out my Roth IRA for the year and iv invested a little money in an index fund that tracks the S&P. I was thinking that investing in dividededs would provide me with a little cash flow that could be reinvested into more stock over time, Basic low maintenance portfolio with some growth oriented stocks down the line when I learn more about the markets.

Bank stocks are paying retardedly high dividends right now. Should get even better after based trump derregulates them more.

Inflation is generally about 2% a year. As long as you stay above that you'll make money. Stocks and bonds will keep you above that curb, they can even go as high as 10% but obviously carry more risk depending on the investment. Someone else can probably explain and advise you better.

>you will not make as much with growth oriented stocks.

Thats just not true.

Value outperforms growth.

faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~charvey/Teaching/IntesaBci_2001/FF_Value_versus.pdf

Value stocks aren't dividend stocks. I actually value invest a lot. I bought a lot of first solar back when it was in the mid 20s. My biggest position right now is JCP at 4.50.

I'm just saying you won't get rich investing in dividend stocks. They are just safe bets for safe small gains. Look at if you bought Apple or Google 10 years ago vs. Microsoft. Chipotle vs. McDonalds. Nobody's gonna get rich owning McDonalds.

problem with dividends is you are not very diversified

you can just get index funds and etfs like "lazy portfolios" or buy dividend etfs

or if you rly want dividend just buy dividend aristocrats or the current high yield ones like banks

LOL

Stop reading right here boys

You're going to lose all your money on First Solar and JCP.

You don't get it.

I already doubled on first solar in a few months and am just holding JCP now and some leveraged silver etfs but thanks for your concern.

Enjoy your 3% gains grandpa, I hope your stock doesn't go down or else it will be back to the cat food.

>value stocks aren't dividend paying
>value literally defined as high dividend paying
Fucking retards like you are the kinds of people who lose $20k in leveraged bets because you had a "hot tip". I honestly hope you invest, since someone needs to perform below the market for me to perform above the market

That's not what was meant.

Long term (at least 20 years) dividend stocks are a solid investment. Spread your portfolio over several companies, reinvest dividends and forget it's even there.

I have on stock of Microsoft. It pays about 40 cents every quarter. I have hopes that once Microsoft reaches 100k/share, I could retire and live off dividends.

are you fucking retarded? you deserve to die, nigger.

Invest in what you already know, don't just stab in the dark or take other's advice as they won't be there to tell you when it's time to sell etc.

Do you follow tech? AMD,Asrock,Corsair.

Do you play games? EA, ACTIVISION BLIZZARD.

VR?

These are examples, but if you have a hobby or interest and are following this news anyway, if you see a promising product coming out or a company continuously hitting home runs, this might be a sound investment.

As you get more into it, you can read quarterly reports and estimates, which might also be of interest to you anyway rather than just dry info, data and promises.