Has anyone watched this series? What's your opinion?

Has anyone watched this series? What's your opinion?

How historically accurate is it?

Regardless of accuracy, is it still entertaining?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YxLqx8xF9Pw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Clodius_Pulcher
youtube.com/watch?v=KmeCru4n0yg
youtube.com/watch?v=nIMGmbbx37A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GAIVS
*wave*
JVLIVS
*wave*
CAESAR

Just got finished watching it the other day. Pure kino. It's accurate in that it has the main bullet points correct and details are rarely ever so incorrect as to be offensive. Certain events are portrayed different from how it's historically understood for dramatic effect and narrative focus, but the changes are true to the spirit of how events actually unfolded.

The only thing is the two main characters and everything about them is fictitious, but works as a framing device for real historical events and historical figure characterization.

5% accurate

Very good show user, i'm not sure about the accuracy but it's really worth a watch. Shame it was cancelled for game of plebs

>the wedding don't have brides with leather belts and egg yolk yellow veils
come on HBO

SNIVELLRY

/tv/ adores it
This probably means it's just okay tier then.

I
AM A SON
OF HADES

I FUCK CONCORD IN HER ARSE

They take some poetic license on the historical events but they capture the culture and bustle of Rome quite well

The events are messed up a bit especially in the second season but it is the single best and most accurate presentation of roman society ever committed to film

SHUT UP
ROME IS PUREKINO

Trump Trump Trump

youtube.com/watch?v=YxLqx8xF9Pw

The 2 main chars were real people that GAIVS JVLIVS CAESAR himself wrote about. kill yourself kid

Everything about them except for Vorenus being a centurion is made up though

prove it

This is everything we know about either of them. They were both centurions who distinguished themselves in a battle against the nervii, Pullo later fought for Pompey in the civil war

Reminder that this is the TRVE Veeky Forums sticky image

The dude who plays Caesar knocks it out of the park. The whole Pompey's head bit it brilliant. There are historical inaccuracies, sure, but overall there's some freaking amazing historical things that really pop when presented in a narrative format. It has a lived in feel that few historical dramas have.

Plus there's boobs and I have a huge crush on the girl playing Octavia.

>Octavia
>not best girl
pleb

She's a solid choice too, but Octavia of the Julii has that special something.

/thread

TRVE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS

derp

I really liked it. Very high budget and polished, good acting as well.

Not very historically accurate and the castings of Egyptians are laughably bad (a fat British kid as Ptolemy). Apart from that, pretty enjoyable. On par with the first couple of seasons of GoT

The newsreader was GOAT

TRVE ROMAN BREAD, FOR TRVE ROMANS

really good, too bad no money for actual battles

>everything we know about them besides voerenus being a centurion is made up
>they were both centurions
Neck yourself today

He wuz a console of rum.

Did roman latin have empty space between words?

It really should be. I'll write my congressman about it.

>scrawny white guy
>turbo autist
>uses "cuck" as an insult
wow, he really is /our_guy/

>dissing Goatctavius
Just pretend I posted that Titus, get the cross jpg

wow i strongly second this.

Pullo wasn't a centurion in the series

True Roman kino for true Romans

THIRTEEN
H
I
R
T
E
E
N

ATIA OF THE JULII, I CALL FOR JUSTICE

spbp

thanks for the source
and is unnecessary mean and retarded

but she has something uncanny, and not italian. Probably american race mix

Historical kino
Who cares if its not historically accurate
One of the best shows for history geeks

It's as historically accurate as you could realistically make a drama series without turning it into a cluttered mess.

>uses v instead of u but still typing J
triggered

absolute shit taste

As student of classical antiquity I can pretty much only echo what the others have said. It captures the current and the main events pretty accurately it takes license with the personal interactions for dramatic effect. (Nobody really knows what happened between people unless it was of enough note to written down.

My only quibbles:

The weird BDSM shit they had with Augustus/Octavian seemed gratuitous and out of character with how most literary sources portray his family life.

The hemp inhaling from a tube etc is a little dubious too. They did use it as incense for women giving birth so I guess it maaaaaay be possible. But it seems more like a shoe horned in "dude, weeeeed." Reference.

One of my favourite portrayals of Julius Caesar though. Pretty close to how I imagine him being. Marc Anthony was pretty damn good too. They did however portray him as the propaganda of the civil war did towards the end of the series i.e as a sort of decadent rock and roll Eastern prince.

>The weird BDSM shit they had with Augustus/Octavian seemed gratuitous and out of character with how most literary sources portray his family life.
Eh, it was just brought up twice at most, and only in passing.

How does it compare to McCullough's Masters of Rome book series?

They were just two names that Caesar mentioned and the show writers used.

That was hemp? I thought she was smoking opium. It might also be a cultural anachronism due to the well documented Egyptian hashish consumption, which began during the Islamic period. However, it is not unlikely that the Egyptian priesthood would have access to psychoactive drugs, and the Pharaoh is a priest-king after all.

Both are great desu, Scaurus Princep senatus is best character in masters of rome, this guy in Rome. It also paints more or less well the way of thinking of people of the time. Some license of course but both are very solid.

Good show.

In the broad strokes of history, fairly accurate. Then it goes pure fictional drama on the details (particularly on the fate/fatherhood of Caesarian, and really, anything centered around the two mains who are more or less fictional in all but their names). But it's not a documentary, it's a drama, and it serves that well. Much the same could be said of Shakespeare after all (not that this drama is so good as to deserve that comparison, just sayin).

The old BBC show "I, Claudius" did a lot more digging in its research, and didn't commit the sin of spawning its main characters from a few sentences, but in the end, much the same thing could be said of it (great show, largely drama and supposition - just slightly less so). I did hear a rumor that the Rome crew was thinking of doing a remake of "I, Claudius", and that'd be pretty neat. Not sure if it'd be as easy to sell though, being a multi-generational affair with no handsome MCs to carry it through.

>Interpolation in historical fiction is a sin.

Purest autism I've seen on here in a while.

Yeah, Scaurus is awesome. As a character, he also illustrates how factionalism in the Senate hadn't yet ossified in the 100s and 90s BC to the point that it would in Caesar and Pompey's time. Tracing that polarization is one of the main themes of the series.

Sure, Scaurus is an optimate, but he can administer the hell out of the grain supply and he can join forces with Gaius Marius when need be.

>the castings of Egyptians are laughably bad (a fat British kid as Ptolemy)
They were inbred Greeks though, weren't they?

>Interpolation in historical fiction is a sin.
Only if you're demanding historical accuracy as per OP's question. It's a perfectly fine tool for drama. Less so for documentary. (And, actually, the bit of fiction the MC's insert at the end of "Rome" would have serious historical implications.)

Just saying, don't treat your dramas like they are accurate documentaries as to historical facts, no matter how much a fan you may be of them. Not that documentaries aren't regularly subject to certain biases as well, but a drama has no obligation to even try for accuracy, and indeed, a pretty much obliged to fabricate excitement and familial reference to draw in an audience.

So don't watch HBO's "Rome" or even BBC's "I, Claudius", and start pretending like you're some sorta Roman historian.

I just came here to recommend I, Claudius too.

Pretty much takes off where Rome ends (give or take a few decades). Brian blessed as Augustus, Patrick Stewart WITH HAIR as Sejanus and a plethora of classicaly trained thespians acting out a well researched historical fiction novel. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

>tfw Rome was cancelled because of that utter garbage show Game of Thrones

They wanted to capture what Caesar and Marc Anthony were really like, so they expanded the characters into Extensions.

Pullo encapsulates Marc Anthony, while Vorenus represents Caesar, they were trying to expose the political atmosphere that manipulated the mob.

See Clodius vs Caesar vs Pompey vs Everyone
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Clodius_Pulcher

Anyone know a good site for watching tv series's ?

She's Irish.

HE WAS A CONSUL OF ROME!

youtube.com/watch?v=KmeCru4n0yg

Best line in the series

Lucius Vorenus is one of my favorite characters of all time. I really fucking identify with that guy.

man I had to pause to fap so much with this series

But at least they will be later described in sand drawings and so

May I ask why?

McCullough was definitely jilling off to Sulla as she wrote it.

Not the worst choice, IMO.

Better have a memorable post-battle summary than a half-hearted battle scene.

It got canceled way before that. It got canceled for bloody Carnivale

Ciaran Hinds. Also Mance Rayder GoT

if you're casting british people as romans, then the egyptians should also be british in that context because both the Romans and egyptian royal family were Caucasian Mediterraneans. As long as it's clear that the ruling elite is a different race than the subjects they're ruling, you've done your job by visually implying that they are foreigners ruling over a native population.

this desu senpai

It's a television show story with historical characters filmed with a very authentic Roman lifestyle.

>tfw no Seasons 3,4, and 5 for CGI dragons

youtube.com/watch?v=nIMGmbbx37A

A true roman series for true romans

The general atmosphere is fairly accurate -- what it might have felt like to live and work in Rome comes through OK.

The basic timeline is more or less accurate. Specific events are often pretty fictionalized, or total fiction made up for the story.

Personalities and relationships are totally made up.

They are attested s two guys from Caesar's legions mentioned by name in Caesar's "Commentaries." Their peronalities and life stories and relationships are fiction.
>The only thing is the two main characters and everything about them is fictitious

>Octavia of the Julii

Sigh. She would not be "of the Julii" unless she married a Julius and needed to be differentiated from other Octavias

I loved Atia desu. She was an absolutely evil cunt but there was something so lovably unapologetic about her. How she'd always find a way to paint herself as the wronged person and hold herself with such confidence that you almost believed her. On top of that there was the way in which she'd just nonchalantly broach topics which were taboo, although not then, like her asking Octavian if he'd fucked anyone, congratulating Octavian when she thinks he's seduced Caesar and when she's organizing how everyone is to kill themselves when their house is under siege by Pompey supporters. She was brilliantly played imo.

this

people talk about Caesar and antony's actors being really good, but she's easily top 3 on that show

What I liked about McCullough's series was how, at the end of each book, she would explain areas where her thinking diverged from the consensus of historians, or where she had fictionalized stuff. Examples being the dating of the trial of Rabirius, the invention f an identity of Sulla's first wife as a close relative of JC, or the invention of a Gallic mistress who has a son by JC during the Gallic campaign.

Reading her books, and the "I Claudius" books, which treated the history respectfully, made me interested in looking into what is actually known about Rome.

Really enjoyed the show for what it was. Maximum lulz were had in the last episode, when they decided to move at the speed of light through the loose ends of the plot and tie everything up before shutting it down.

>tfw there will never be a series called Camillus
>tfw wont see the war with veii
>tfw wont see Camillus finally breach into Veii and take it
>tfw wont see him being hated by his countrymen for his oath to give a tenth to the gods when Veii was taken
>tfw wont see Falerii being burnt and Camillus banished for being honest.
>tfw wont see the Gauls invading Etruscans and Latins
>tfw wont see Romans killing a Gaul chieftain during parley
>tfw no Battle of Allia
>tfw all of rome will be burnt save the Capitoline.
>tfw wont see camillus gathering and training his army at Clusium to defeat the victorious but unguarded gauls
>tfw wont see the series finale of Rome being recaptured, Gauls defeated and his city rebuilt as it ends with Camillus being apprehensive about the future as news that Satricum has been beseiged by the Etruscans.

actually that would be perfect

Yes, but the general public won't understand why the Romans are wearing greek-inspired equipment.
Pic related, it's the battle of Alla.
Early roman Republic is most of the time wrongly depicted.

forgot pic

And since I have my Osprey folder open, here is a clan chieftain equipment, from the time of the founding of Rome (mid VIIIth century).
"Romulus" looked something like that.

what's with the weird round bit at the tip of those blades? Also what's with the crazy pommels?

this is very interesting desu

Those are the sheathes, certainly. And for the pommels, keep in mind that many of the remains come from tombs, and thus are more prestigious than useful in combat.

So that was 750 BC
is 400 BC

This is 200 BC

>Yes, but the general public won't notice that the Romans are wearing greek-inspired equipment.

ftfy

It's just another sword and sandals show with brits cosplaying romans.

FUCK YOU THE COSTUMES AND ARMOR ARE AMAZING LITERALLY THE BEST EVER.

This is first century AD.
The meme roman armor. Notice the lorica segmentata. Much change during this period.

you may be right

The notice, for those who are interested.

>not 4k 60 fps

Trash, utter trash.

Again, two centuries later (IIIrd century)

>Octavian...have you penetrated anyone yet?

aaand two more centuries (Vth century)

Now, sorry for derailing the thread a little. And for the subjective selection of pictures.
I think it's important to realize the changes that happen during a millenium-long period.

No, but it had the interpunct sometimes, like this:
SCIPIO·AFRICANVS·IN·AFRICA·PVGNAT

SERVUS·ASINUS·EST
EST·ANCILLA·PULCHRA
SERVUS·ANCILLAM·IRRUMAT

bump

Clodius maaaaaaaayne

>he identifies with a cuckold