When did the United States become an oligarchy?

When did the United States become an oligarchy?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/6VC5Unc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta7q1amDAN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Democracy in the US probably peaked in the 1970s. Deregulation and the decline of the organized labor allowed for a rise in income/wealth inequality and the return of the dominance of the financial/business elite in influence over politicians. In the media, the rise of political punditry (allowed by Reagan axing the Fairness Doctrine) has created entire """news""" networks that are mouthpieces for plutocrats. The expenses of modern campaigns has also been a place for the wealthy to influence politicians, something which expanded after the Citizens United decision in 2010.

Late 19th century after the civil war when corporations and banks consolidated their power in the country.

Never.

December 23, 1913.

>When did the United States become an oligarchy?

In the sense you mean, it always has been. The "Founding Fathers" were from an elite class with different values and vastly more resources than the average man. If you mean it in some other sense, please share.

Oligarchy doesn't imply an elite class in the social sense. I'd say universal suffrage is more inclined to be an oligarchy in all but name as opposed to limited suffrage as universal suffrage often has different oligarchs compete different groups against one another for control.

>something which expanded after the Citizens United decision in 2010.

What do you mean?

Representative democracy is an oligarchic government.
You don't have a say. You pick the oligarch who does.

You're right though, and I don't even believe in da jooooos and /pol/ shit

Always been one, it inherited the system from Britain.

"Democratic" election systems are inherently oligarchic because the rich and powerful have a greater influence in the outcome than the poor. The Greeks in fact considered elections to be THE marker of an oligarchic system, to them a democracy was a system whereby its officials are appointed by lot, like how we select juries.

This.

Yup, Aristotle made that point very clearly at the beginning of his "Politics"

July 4, 1776

Nonsense, America had elected assemblies before the ARW. It was founded as a British colony under an oligarchic system and has remained oligarchic ever since.

November 9, 2016

Oh come on, we were facing two generations of Clintons on top of the two generations of Bushes we had already.

What I meant was: it was always an oligarchy.

discord.gg/6VC5Unc

Explain?

It's always been one.

And yet they have the comfiest living standards I've ever seen, maybe behind some european countries at worst.

Many of the limits on campaign finance were ruled unconstitutional.

>What did you mean

Corporations are people, faggot.

The 3/5 Clause was a compromise between the northern states not wanting slaves counted, and southern states wanting all slaves counted, when determining a state's total population.

The day the Federal Reserve was created.

Federal Reserve Act creating a central bank.

When WW started another incarnation of the fed in conjunction with the steel industries expansion and we saw true manifest destiny continued by 3 terms of FDR.

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world — no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta7q1amDAN4

Reaganomics was the death blow to the US democracy.

November 8th, 2016

nice prax bro

US was always an oligarchy, fixed-term "representative" 'democracy is basically oligarchy with modestly more popular input.

Maybe it had a modicum of democracy every now and then when public unrest got too severe to channel into the same elite parties, but the oligarchs generally clawed back power before too long; even FDR came from money.

>Omg apriori is devils magic wtfs going on?!?!

>i wasn't paying attention since the 1920's

No-one claims that you stupid nigger. Praexology is garbage because economics is an empirical phenomenon, so must be studied scientifically, not philosophically.

it was designed that way from the beginning because oligarchy is preferable to mob rule

>t.oligarch

The contempt the ruling class for the people they rule never ceases to disgust me.

was from the start

Fpbp

You just did claim that you
>"stupid nigger".
Fucking retard.

When the first post is an effortpost

Probably sometime in the Neolithic.

I was gonna give a meme answer but this nigga already /thread

1750s around that time

And now you have Trump/Kushner at the same time.

Somewhere around the 17th century.