Owning a book shop

I've had a dream since I was young,

to own a modest sized book shop/cafe -

filled with actually great literature, from greek classics to chinese Zen cases, onto Philip K. Dick and rare copies of Orwell.

What am I getting myself into?
Anyone have experience opening up a small business?

All I want is to provide a space for people to let their mind escape the nonsense and depravity of society - is there a market for this or am I kidding myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonian.com/2016/05/27/capitol-hill-books-jim-toole-curmudgeonly-rules-signs/
politico.com/story/2007/02/the-politics-of-politics-and-prose-002948
thegeorgetowndish.com/thedish/rosewood-hotel-partners-politics-and-prose
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People are retarded this days, we read on phones

I would go to your cafe and steal the books

Keep in mind that Amazon is devouring that market alive. And a cafe would have to deliver good coffee.

Here's an example of someone you might want to emulate:
washingtonian.com/2016/05/27/capitol-hill-books-jim-toole-curmudgeonly-rules-signs/

cute dream, faggot.you should go back to sleep.

Interesting concept I came across in Los Angeles.

1Denim is a jean and coffee shop. The Jeans are made in america actually in LA. Coffee is roasted there too. The interesting this is the jeans are fairly priced at around $80 bucks. For made in america Jeans.

Most people go for the coffee, but stay for the jeans

Look at Barns & Noble and you tell me how they are doing, In fact, take a look back at Boarders, if you remember what that is.
Brick and mortar stores are going down the drain. Look at JCP and other clothing stores, market shares ARE SHIT!! -LOOK AT IT!! -LOOK AT IT!! -LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like an easy way to lose all your money and set yourself back

Personally, I want to build the equivalent of a niche book store and private social club. Officially come for the books and coffee, stay for the secret dealing in the back rooms.

politico.com/story/2007/02/the-politics-of-politics-and-prose-002948

thegeorgetowndish.com/thedish/rosewood-hotel-partners-politics-and-prose

>filled with actually great literature, from greek classics to chinese Zen cases, onto Philip K. Dick and rare copies of Orwell.

HAHAHAHAHA

I want to write erotic literature. How can I monetize it effectively?

in the oven.

if you could get a private library where a person could drink coffee, suck wifi, and take a piss after drinking so much coffee. You got yourself $$$$.

only way you're going to make this profitable is if you are in a location where people can smoke weed in your bookstore. also if you go back in time before faggots were obsessed with phones and knew how to read a book. also have a VIP backroom with gambling tables, maybe your cutie barista can give succ there.

in other words, avoid this dream.

I would like to do that too. You re not in North Carolina by chance?

sure, OP, this is a great idea.
Step 1: invent a time machine to return to a time when anyone gave a fuck about printed books

Problem with this is that people don't buy books anymore. And the people who do go to big chains where the prices are low and stock is huge.

But i guess you could do something with that cafe/book idea. I mean let people read books while drinking coffe. Like pay an extra 2 dollars and get to read a book or magazine while drinking coffe.

I would focus more on the cafe rather than the books. If you make a good and comfy cafe you can succeed, and the books you can leave them there but as a side.

What this guy said. Hipster ass coffee joints can do pretty well these days. Create a cozy atmosphere where people want to stay and read while drinking coffee. Then have some cutie come out and offer them biscotti or some shit for an additional 2.50. Selling books just aint gonna work senpai

either illiterate or can't name 10 classics

manga shop with happen endings

no black people

lol i am 40 years old and have read more books than you've probably eaten meals-- fiction, primarily, with a focus on the victorians and early moderns.

that doesn't change the reality that brick&mortar book retailing in the USA is deader than all the Yobitcoins crowding your .5BTC blockfolio.

In my country there are lots of this kind. Some even have a free napping station and free coffee for overnight stay. I wouldn't bet it would be great in the US. 90% of people have not read a single book after graduating college. a.k.a. no love for knowledge whatsoever hence why you have liberals in the US.

This.

Nope.

Skip the coffee.. offer private rooms for napping. I want to use my lunch hour to go sleep somewhere, not in my car like a greasy hobo. I need a damn nap man! Like the Danish who get to nap at work. I need a fucking nap. No rubber sheets, no fags in the rooms playing with each other's butts, no masturbating. Nice clean dark rooms to nap in that smell good...have sound machines too. Call it "Nappy Lit"

Holy shit. Literally as i typed... where is this country?

Gr8 idea m8

Just put some tables of balckjack and poker

I'd go to a place like this every day if it existed near me but I was a lit major.

Richfags would dig it if you're in a liberal college town or hipster place like Brooklyn/Portland.

Don't expect to make money at all though unless it's a top notch cafe with all the works.

>fiction
What a fucking waste of your life

That place looks very comfy

We do, however physical print sales were up 1% since last year - I know 1% is laughable growth but the point is people have been claiming that physical books were gonna be dead

I will admit though that it feels like Amazon will hold the lions share of this market, it's too profitable of a marketplace for third party sellers to not sell on if they can acquire books cheaply and people that want to self publish will have the most opportunity with Amazon

thinking the same thing. If you spent all your life reading fiction, it's would be such a waste, unless you plan on becoming a writer yourself

would be an impossible as a business venture. dedicate part of your house as a library area and you can replicate this.

why not just buy rental homes and then have your own personal library.
you'll kill yourself running a biz like that but rental properties kinda take care of themselves

>"Nappy Lit"

I'm interested from the name alone

Private library/bookstore maybe? I'd definitely prefer that over Starbucks or another comparable chain

There's a small place like this near my university, which is very large and teeming with hipsters (so you know it's a prime market location for it if there is one)

Coffee shop/book store combo spot. Gets modest business but gets by. So don't expect crazy revenue, it's a niche.