Who /Latin/ here?

who /Latin/ here?

lingua latina difficilem est

Other urls found in this thread:

clozemaster.com/languages/learn-latin-from-english
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute?
youtube.com/user/latintutorial
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can only read it. I never developed the skill of writing and speaking Latin as you can't really use it as a dead language. But it does come in handy, as a historian, to be able to read it (primary sources).

Took two years of it in high school. We only learned the most basic verb tenses. Not that it matters, because I forgot most of it anyway

I've taken up Italian recently, though. Been planning a semester abroad in Italy. Thank fucking god Italian doesn't have noun declensions

I can recognise quite a few words but just because of Latin mass tbch

been some years so im losing touch. quare id faciam fortasse requiris. nescio, sed fieri sentio. et excrucior

I'm about to take my 3rd semester of Latin at uni. Our uni has been taken over by stemfags, and all the later Latin classes, (Latin 4, Medieval Latin, etc.) have all been shoah'd.

What is a good way to continue improving my Latin? Should I get a Vulgate Bible and work through it? Is there something like DuoLingo for Latin?

memrise is very good if you want to improve your vocab. Plenty of courses on there.

Thanks, I had never heard of them before.

Clozemaster is also good for building vocabulary. They do latin: clozemaster.com/languages/learn-latin-from-english

Thanks to you as well!

sic sempir fi, ceasus belli roman brutii caecilius canine. Deus Vult!

Causus beli, et tu brute vedi vidi vici audentes fortuna iuvat.Cui bono?

Buy Latin translations of your favorite books. Vulgate is a good idea too. Medieval Latin is much simpler and easier to read than classical and will provide you with a good base to read more complex texts later.

Thanks user!

>attend a party for history major graduates, i was invited by a friend
>the entire proceedings was done in Latin
>literally everyone spoke nothing but Latin to each other
>I didn't speak a lick of latin, I just ate food and drank champagne
>I think a girl tried to hit on me but I said I didn't speak latin and she walked away after saying "nevermind"

From then on I irrationally hated the latin language.

Just started doing Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, since I thought picking up some Latin would be cool and the declension autism would help me with German. It's a lot of fun so far.

>Went to Israel to study Hebrew
>Basically that happened, but every day.

From then on I irrationally hated Hebrew.

Question for latinists: when Caesar says "et tu Brutus", shouldn't it be "et tu Brute" (vocative), because he's addressing him?

The phrase is "et tu Brute?"

See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute?

It is et tu brute

I'm in the same boat, I took two semesters of latin, barely passing both cause I'm a fucking shit student. I basically remember ZERO declensions and conjugations, but I remember some of the rules and some of the vocab. I have the vulgate and like 5 latin dictionaries because friends know I like latin, but I just can't find the motivation to continue. i basically have the same situation with german as well desu

goddamn help me get motivated

would you recommend that for someone who has no knowledge of latin to start?

With German you at least had DuoLingo. I'm using it to de-rust my German and Spanish.

LatinTutorial on youtube is a decent starting point.
youtube.com/user/latintutorial

see
"Game" app. I've been re-learning Portuguese 15 years after the fact, 15 to 30 minutes a day. It is glorious. Start easy and build an habit. Eventually, you'll dive in.

I have a question that may seem stupid

Is it true that Latin is a very ambiguos language because many declensions are identical and it has no definite and indefinite articles?
That, and Heideggers shitposting against Latin (he said it was also possible to think in Greek and German) kinda pushed me off from learning Latin, even though I am a catholic and would like to be able to read the Vulgate, and all great works from classical antiquity, the middle ages and the XVI XVII XVIII centuries that are in Latin.

>Is it true that Latin is a very ambiguos language because many declensions are identical and it has no definite and indefinite articles?

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: usually context is enough that this doesn't create understandability issues

How do you pronounce it?
I always do it like speaking spanish but in a somewhat italian way. Also speaking the "c" as "k".

Also, is it Deus lo Vult or Deus Vult.

c as k
u as ou (you)
v as w
e as é (as in "*c'est* la vie" or "que *se*ra")
every letter is pronounced.
i as y

>difficilem

*difficilis

Iupiter deus est et cetera

shouldn't it be accusative?

It's Deus le vult because French peasants gonna be peasants

No. "be" verbs don't bring on the accusative.

Think about how in proper English people say "It is I" or "It is she" rather than "It is me" or "it is her".

No. The case of the predicate adjective when used with a copulative verb is nominative.

jesus christ man have some self respect

(OP)
>lingua latina difficilem est
Amice, dicis mihi--nobis--latine, quamquam non latina a te lingua intellegitur

Rogas me ne lingua latina difficilis sit, et dicam tibi linguam latinam non malam aut difficilem hominibus qui in vita nobis studiosi discendi.

This is literally my goal.

Also I'd be eternally grateful if we could have a regular /latin/ thread for those wanting to learn/learning/brushing up on Latin.

seconded

Deus lo vult would be medieval latin / ancient french.
Deus vult, in latin, litteraly is God wants, and suggests "God wants it". You could say Deus id vult", I suppose, but it's unnecessary

>but it's unnecessary
In fact, it's inelegant.

Its easy you should have said
"Volo futuo vos "

Memento homo, quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.

What I did I want to do her?

Pedicabo et vos irrumabo lad

I don't know shit about Latin but I think it means I want to fuck you .
volo (i want) futuo (fuck) vos (You)

You're just dumb, dude. Stop trying and do something else

what are the differences between liturgical latin and classical latin?

So because there is no hard "c" sound in Latin, Cicero's name would actually have been pronounced as "Ki-Ke-Ro", right? Just as Caesar would have been pronounced "Kai-Sar"?

Fucking, I meant there is no SOFT C, not hard C.

Italian citizen fluently speaking latin here.

Civis Italicus fluenter latine loquens hic.

AMA

>tfw they are quicker to allow klingon and high valerian to be developed for duolingo than Latin, despites its real world relevance

How would you say "go fuck yourself"?

Also how much time did it take you to become fluent?

The literal translation for "go fuck yourself" would be futuĕris / futuĕre, or something like "i fututu", but from inscripition and Petronius' Satyricon we know that a much more common way to tell someone to go fuck himself was "pedicare" that means "fuck yourself in the ass".

It took me 8 years to get fluent, two of them passed in a latin and greek speaking community in Rome.

fucking nerds

Recommended Latin English dictionary? Or will any old one do?

Tu eres maricon

Its a dead language, stop speaking it