Which Bible should you be reading?

Which Bible should you be reading?

>KJV
The Preserved Word of God (5th revision)

>NKJV
The best counterfeit out there

>ESV
Elegantly removing verses

>CSB
Evangelical approved

>OSB
Brother Nathanael's Bible

>NRSV
Required "college" reading

>Douay
The English translation of the Latin translation of the Greek

>NIV
Satan's handbook

>NET
Trusting /pol/ to translate for you

>NLT
Liberal abomination

>MSG
Some guy on his back porch rewrote the Bible

Other urls found in this thread:

pidginbible.org
eom.byu.edu/index.php/Joseph_Smith_Translation_of_the_Bible_(JST)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

start with the book of enoch so you can learn about the annunaki

I got the NIV as a gift from this crazy bitch I met in a chemistry class. What will I missing if I read it?

Use Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. This way you can look up every word in the original Greek and Hebrew.
Rotherham's translation is good. Ferrar Fenton's translation is good. I would prefer to have a Geneva translation.
I use several translations to compare, plus a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, all in combination.

my father gave me the king james bible, we are of anglo heritage. quite a good book once you skip the first few chapters

I suppose if you don't know greek or latin - the KJV is where its at. I realize there is much controversy surrounding the NIV new international version and others like the ESV english standard - but as we all know Shakespearian english isn't easy for children before 12ish and having these translation plain (inelegant) english does help. Once you get into an age of accountability you should be trying to learn the kings english and begin reading the KJV with assistance when needed from another translation.

The alternative would be to just have your kid not even read any Bible, or have them pretend to read the KJV - both terrible ideas. So while I will stongly agree with everyone that the KJV is the best for any english speaker, i'm mostly sticking up for these plain english translation for young adults and children to have at least a glimpse in to the word of God.

don't hate.

If you don't care enough to learn Greek and Hebrew then you're not a real Christian.

Calling "Message" a paraphrase is being incredibly generous, it is in fact a rewrite that inserts all kinds of nonsense not found in the original text.

The one and ONLY proper translation.pidginbible.org

I miss NIV poster. all he did was quote the NIV and he'd get 2 or 3 evangelicals reeeing at him

The translation itself doesn't matter that much. Any decent bible will have tons of footnotes with historical, theological, and linguistic explanations, alternate translations, as well as lists of references to other parts of the Bible for context. If you have that then the exact word used in the passage isn't really as important.

I use the Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version - Second Catholic Edition. Good font, understandable translation, nice footnotes, strong binding and cover. I'd recommend to someone just curious about Christian theology (as you seem to be OP) because being a catholic bible it has so called apocrypha (thus you get a fuller picture).

And at 17$ from amazon you really can't go wrong.

>not Da Jesus Book

The ASV uses critical readings and uses archaic 2nd person singular and plural pronoun distinction which Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek also have.

Brenton's has been the defacto translation of the Septuagint for the longest and helped the NETS translators.

New World Translation

This desu brah

Orthodox study bible desu

>Satan's handbook
Stay obsessed nerd.

It should only be read in Classical Syriac, Bohairic Coptic, Koine Greek, and Ecclesiastical Latin.

>KJV: Give us this day our daily bread
>MSG: Keep us alive with three square meals.
Amerifats

Not even close to the worst example.
>Romans 3:25
>KJV
>Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
>Message
>God sacrificed Jesus on the altar of the world to clear that world of sin. Having faith in him sets us in the clear. God decided on this course of action in full view of the public--to set the world in the clear with himself through the sacrifice of Jesus, finally taking care of the sins he had so patiently endured.

>Colossians 2:9-10
>KJV
>For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
>Message
>Everything of God gets expressed in him, so you can see and hear him clearly. You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything.

It's pure garbage, it twists the meaning in often quite dramatic ways to conform to Eugene Peterson's own peculiar theology.

NJB

None of those because I'm not an Anglo subhuman and I can actually read the Bible in Greek.

Any one that is interested in Mormon history might find the Joseph Smith translation a interesting read. He didn't translate it from Hebrew or Greek, but rather, If you believe he was a prophet, read the book and gained revelation on what the writer meant; if you don't believe he was a prophet then he just made ajustments based on his feelings. Either way it has many interesting insights. And Mormons read it along side with the KJV.

Here is a link to an article on it:eom.byu.edu/index.php/Joseph_Smith_Translation_of_the_Bible_(JST)

>KJV
king autistically edits the bible

>NKJV
updated autistic scream fest

ESV
Now that's what I call autism

NRSV-CE is the only one