If drugs and prostitution were legalized would the mafia still exist?

If drugs and prostitution were legalized would the mafia still exist?

Yes. Of course it would.

Even if you made it legal, they would continue to operate illegally to avoid taxes. They would also continue to deal with guns, objectively dangerous drugs and any other of the many illegal things.

The only way for there not to be a mafia is literal anarchism, but at that point you aren't solving the problem, just pretending it doesn't exists. Which admittedly is kind of how most governments already deal with it.

Yes, but in significantly lower numbers.

Just like how eliminating niggers or leaded gasoline won't totally eliminate homicide, but it will reduce it by a substantial degree.

Good answers

cigarettes are legal but onerous, this provides them with other non-white markets,

>but at that point you aren't solving the problem, just pretending it doesn't exists.
How is that not solving the problem? The problem is a market supported by laws, and getting rid of those laws gets rid of the problem.

What's left of the mafia is involved in local politics in NYC/NJ and will serve you the finest Italian smoked meats and cheeses at 100% legit not a front businesses completely on the up and up. There is no mafia.

No...The problem is the existence of an organization that uses violence, bribery and other methods to sustain their monopoly on the trading of certain items.

>Drugs
>Prostitution
>Mafia business

What is this, 1974?

That shits for the moolies and christ killers

Try racketeering, white collar scams, union intimidation, maaaaybe grand larceny by associates

>The problem is the existence of an organization that uses violence, bribery and other methods to sustain their monopoly on the trading of certain items.
So, a state?

...now who's being naïve, Kay?

Yes, because organized crime are just primitive forms of political control exercised in areas that are outside the scope of the state, either because of geographic or cultural reasons.

Drug trafficking is only a method of financing this control.

Mafia is still involved in wholesaling of heroin don't make pretend they stopped.

Idk, maybe some. As far as i'm aware you can't go to a goverment owned supermarket and buy coke ONLY in that one supermarket tho.

I think the mafia imports like 70% of Cocain into Europe.

this is what liquor laws resemble in many states.

Well, a lot of politicians are also drug-lords. So I guess we can agree that at least some governments are just arms of the mafia.

Aww fuck, thought I could slip that one by

Whatever happened to mafia in America? It's like they went off grid somewhere around the 80's

They all went legit and started bank rolling local politicians. Not even memeing.

They'd be weaker but as long as there are laws, there will be criminal conspiracies aimed at subverting those laws.

1. FBI purges through the 80's & 90's

2. They realized going legit and semi-legit was the most successful strategy in this day and age

Hey guys I'm fascinated by the mafia there is a forum I frequent called gangsterbb, check out their real life subforum for history on the american mafia and rumors about current activity.

Just thought i'd share.

Is the American mafia even real? I tough all the mafias were from other countries and just operated in the US.

lolwut

the italian American mafia has roots going back to the late 19th century

Yes. Not only because those aren't their only revenue streams, but because legalized drugs & prostitution would be heavily regulated and of course the mafia would not want to follow regulations.

Why destroy the mafia if those things are legal anyways? Just burn the stupid whores.

this