What does Veeky Forums think of Jerusalem Syndrome?

What does Veeky Forums think of Jerusalem Syndrome?

Jerusalem syndrome is a group of mental phenomena involving the presence of either religiously themed obsessive ideas, delusions or other psychosis-like experiences that are triggered by a visit to the city of Jerusalem. It is not endemic to one single religion or denomination but has affected Jews, Christians and Muslims of many different backgrounds.

The best known, although not the most prevalent, manifestation of Jerusalem syndrome is the phenomenon whereby a person who seems previously balanced and devoid of any signs of psychopathology becomes psychotic after arriving in Jerusalem. The psychosis is characterised by an intense religious theme and typically resolves to full recovery after a few weeks or after being removed from the area.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vFU8vCHZBbc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoEsr2OWYk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXl5rM0nyI
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 1&version=KJV
youtu.be/nJH8JkGzpWM
youtube.com/watch?v=ujbBxJtTGB4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's an example of extreme culture shock. Apparently Japanese tourists in Europe suffer from "Paris Syndrome", because the view of Paris in Japan is so wildly different from the horrible, horrible reality.

It is even thought that prophets suffered from it, so I doubt it.

You doubt what? That Japanese people experience the same exact phenomena in Paris? google is your friend.

For historical accuracy, there are reports of it being observed in the Middle Ages.

No, because of this:

Symptoms:

Anxiety, agitation, nervousness and tension, plus other unspecified reactions.
Declaration of the desire to split away from the group or the family and to tour Jerusalem alone. Tourist guides aware of the Jerusalem syndrome and of the significance of such declarations may at this point refer the tourist to an institution for psychiatric evaluation in an attempt to preempt the subsequent stages of the syndrome. If unattended, these stages are usually unavoidable.
A need to be clean and pure: obsession with taking baths and showers; compulsive fingernail and toenail cutting.
Preparation, often with the aid of hotel bed-linen, of a long, ankle-length, toga-like gown, which is always white.
The need to shout psalms or verses from the Bible, or to sing hymns or spirituals loudly. Manifestations of this type serve as a warning to hotel personnel and tourist guides, who should then attempt to have the tourist taken for professional treatment. Failing this, the two last stages will develop.
A procession or march to one of Jerusalem's holy places, ex:The Western Wall.
Delivery of a sermon in a holy place. The sermon is typically based on a plea to humankind to adopt a more wholesome, moral, simple way of life. Such sermons are typically ill-prepared and disjointed.

It is thought the physical symptoms of Paris Syndrome manifest due to the hard water/soft water difference between Japan and Europe. I don't know too much about Jerusalem syndrome other than the fact that it happens to tourists and they think they're Jesus, so if anyone could outline some physical symptoms that'd be great.

>people become more religious when they visit their holy cities
Well golly gee willikers isn't that strange

Jews/Christians/Muslims place a huge amount of significance on Jerusalem for most of their lives, so when they're there they shit their pants. Not a big mystery.

>from 42 cases, 1 Jew, 1 Catholic, 40 Protestants
Figures.

at 3:38
youtube.com/watch?v=vFU8vCHZBbc

Lmao.

>a person who seems previously balanced and devoid of any signs of psychopathology becomes psychotic after arriving in Jerusalem
That's just the effect of being surrounded by Jews

Catholics aren't Christian

Mystery solved. There is no Jerusalem syndrome. They were already insane before they got there.
/thread

It's called cognitive dissonance.
>be amerifat evangelitard
>PRAISE THE LAWRD GAWD BLESS ISRUHL AND AMURICA (ISRUHL FIRST!)
>JEEUZ ARE THE CHOSEN PEPAWL
Go on a trip to Israel
>WTF JEEUZ HATE JEEZUS?!?!?! OMG OMG OMG!!!1!
>BUT MY PAWSTOR SAID THAT ARE JEEUZ ARE THE CHOSEN PEPAWL AND...
Manic psychosis ensues.

Evangelicals/quakers/pentecostals make it extra easy to stick to your holy Catholic faith.

This is what passes for a pastor in fatmurica
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoEsr2OWYk

And this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXl5rM0nyI

>Christian (adj.) relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings.

>Christian (n.) a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

When will the "Catholicism isn't Christianity" meme die? Hell, if you wanna get technical most people who subscribe to the New Testament are not "Christian" in the sense of "acting Christlike"

GAWUD BLESS ISRAYELLL!!1

>relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings
So not Catholics
>or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings
So not Catholics
>When will the "Catholicism isn't Christianity" meme die?
When Catholicism becomes Christianity

I don't get it. I grew up Episcopalian, because that's what my parents were. I always saw protestants as catholics that just didn't do mass or don't believe in purgatory.

Do catholics believe protestants go to hell? What about the other way around?

>I grew up Episcopalian
You were raised Atheist?

seriously though, this syndrome isn't too surprsing considering that evangelical christians regularly organize trips to jerusalem

no, he was raised to be an Moral Therapeutic Deist

Teach me proper Christ's Word then.

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 1&version=KJV

Why would Episcopalian = athiest? Just curious. I'm not religious now, but I think that would have happened regardless of what religion I was raised with

The Last Gospel? Always read or sung in the end of the Mass:
youtu.be/nJH8JkGzpWM

Episcopalianism suffers from people changing the true beliefs of Christianity to fit the culture and it just secular humanism under a religious cloak.

For over 1500 years, Christians have believed:
>Homosexual intercourse is sin
>Women cannot be priests or bishops
>Actively participating homosexuals cannot be bishops or priests
>etc

And to them:
>Women can be priests
>Gays can be priests
>Homosexual sex is not a sin
>etc

It has abandoned some very important historical christian teachings and can just barely be called a christian religion.

Ah ok, thanks

To be a Christian is to support Israyel!

Considering that my family owns a modest hotel, I have spoken with many Japanese tourists who suffered from what you define Paris syndrome.

They have in their minds some idea of Paris being a paradise on earth, bursting with romantic culture at every corner.

Of course, reality is far different.

what once was is no longer

>shiiet nigga we wuz can probably trick dat slanty eye for some dat cash for dem shiny shoes n hoes

youtube.com/watch?v=ujbBxJtTGB4

seriously the symptoms listed for this syndrome are just the symptoms of an evangelical christian channelling "the holy spirit"

I had this happen to me and I am by no means a religious person. My parents are hard-liner Christian Zionists, so I was indoctrinated, but I just never bought into it. I was very dehydrated and jet lagged which most likely had something to do with it but it was very strange. It first started to hit me around the Al-Aqsa mosque, just the fact that I was in such an ancient place. I'm from a place where the oldest building is 80 years old, and now i'm at a place where the oldest buildings are thousands of years old. It made me hate civilization, I started profusely crying about all the destruction over the years. I cried for almost an hour about the Babylonians and Romans destroying the Temple of God. I believed 100% that I was an Ancient Judean. At first I was yelling about how the Romans killed my parents and eventually I forgot how to speak English entirely. They took me to the hospital but I was convinced the Israeli doctors were Roman officials who were trying to kill me and my family. I woke up the next morning with the worst headache i've ever had and i've been fine ever since. Apparently some people never recover from it and believe they are biblical figures until they die.

>I believed 100% that I was an Ancient Judean. At first I was yelling about how the Romans killed my parents and eventually I forgot how to speak English entirely. They took me to the hospital but I was convinced the Israeli doctors were Roman officials who were trying to kill me and my family.

god i wanna visit jerusalem now and get super high

CATHOLICS ARE THE WHORE OF BABYLON AND THEIR POPE WEARS A PAGAN FISH HAT

Never underestimate the psychological effects of religion, there were cases of knights fainting and throwing up when clergy summoned them pleading them to change their violent ways accompanied by relics which were shown to the knights.

>People act more religious when going on pilgrimages

Wow really spooky stuff

>I'm from a place where the oldest building is 80 years old, and now i'm at a place where the oldest buildings are thousands of years old.

I know this feel. The middle east in general feels like you're transcending thousands of years, there is nothing really like it.

Some Japanese people idealize France to extreme levels. I know a Japanese person who was shocked by how run-down or dirty a lot of Paris was, which was in stark contrast to his romanticized view. They spend their whole lives thinking of Paris as the greatest city in the world and then reality hits them.

It's like white expats going to Japan and having their weeaboos dreams crushed.

>same exact phenomena

They are very different phenomenas. The only similarity is how some of the people affected flip out about how modern Jerusalem is because they envisioned it being ancient.

People will literally believe they are King David or Jesus or some other biblical figure and not stop believing it for months or years. Some never leave. I'd say they are pretty distinct from each other.

Jerusalem Syndrome is a myth. Of all the religious devotees that go to Jerusalem for pilgrimage every year, the rate of psychosis is no higher than the general population (remember every last one of you has a 0.6-1% risk of going schizo in a given year and it's higher if you have familial history of it). It just attracts a lot of media attn because "HOLY SITE WOOOO WATCH THESE GUYS GO CRAY CRAY AND THINK THEY JESUS".

In truth, there are tourists going crazy in every major city on Earth. NYC is known for it particularly. People can snap when they go through emotional experiences of sufficient severity... this is nothing new.

>there are schizos in the world!!!!

Yeah, there are people who think they're St Peter and Abe Lincoln and Jesus and the fucking Buddah all up in my local psych ward. For their whole lives!

You act like people going crazy is a thing that never happens in any place on Earth. God isn't real because people go fucking nutso in Jerusalem, try a different line.

cuck

It never was

No one argued this you fucking dipshit. Read before you reply.

It's just the Holy Spirit speaking through them as they enter the holy land of Israeyel.

It's more common than some people think. It's happened thousands of times. Obviously a delusion, but it makes sense.

this

that was ergotism though

>ctrl+f
>stendhal

Disappointing thread

huh

Or when they stared at the sun for days.

Everytime I look at ancient buildings I'm ultra triggered when I see in the poor state they are, specially when they are full of graffiti and bums.

You probably liked history too much, pretty sure something similar would happen to me.

Since Vatican II, as long as you do good works you might be able to be saved. Also, there isn't a purgatory.

>might

Of course

Most of them had schizophrenia

I get a similar feeling when I walk around my city, most buildings are about 600 years old and it triggers me really hard to see them falling apart or being outright demolished to built something else on top of the terrain.

>Do catholics believe protestants go to hell?

It isn't for anyone this side of the grave to determine someone's eternal fate. Catholics ought to pray for everyone.

What about the other way around?

Depends on the group.

>Since Vatican II, as long as you do good works you might be able to be saved

You should actually read the documents. As an example, Lumen Gentium says that the Catholic Church is

>the sole Church of Christ which in the Creed is professed as one, holy, catholic and apostolic, which our Saviour, after His Resurrection, commissioned Peter to shepherd, and him and the other apostles to extend and direct with authority, which He erected for all ages as 'the pillar and mainstay of the truth.

The Church has never authoritatively said that salvation is impossible outside of the visible confines of the Church. It teaches that the Catholic Church is the best and truest way of doing things. Salvation is not a result of good works, the Catholic Church has never taught that.

>Also, there isn't a purgatory.

That's just outright wrong.

>Paris syndrome.
What did your parents do?

might, because it's not for any human to decide
God decides

Muhammad (pbuh) was a human.

Did Jesus suffer from Jerusalem syndrome?

Jesus was claiming to be the son of God long before he entered Jerusalem

Like as a little kid when he called the Temple his father's house.

Which... was in Jerusalem... fuck.

this happens when you live on top of a seed ship, see trigon.

which louis theroux doc is this from

Pretty much this.

I would have paid anything to bribe the doctors until they let me visit your hospital room wearing a centurion costume

>you will never drop acid in Jerusalem and watch Romans crucify jesus in your time warp psychosis

>be anywhere
>something unexpected happens
>"wow that was unexpected"
>be in holy city
>something unexpected happens
>"HOLY SHIT IT'S GOD GUYS DID YOU SEE GOD RIGHT THERE IT WAS TOTALLY GOD DUDE"

as if God is just some tourist attraction for the people that vidit

Take a look at the symptom list I posted, they literally get dressed as ancient people and start prophesying.

>During a period of 13 years (1980–1993) for which admissions to the Kfar Shaul Mental Health Centre in Jerusalem were analysed, it was reported[1] that 1,200 tourists with severe, Jerusalem-themed mental problems were referred to this clinic. Of these, 470 were admitted to hospital. On average, 100 such tourists have been seen annually, 40 of them requiring admission to hospital. About three and a half million tourists visit Jerusalem each year. Kalian and Witztum note that as a proportion of the total numbers of tourists visiting the city, this is not significantly different from any other city.

sounds like a rational, premeditated action, have the costumes and everything bro

It's like the best place in the world to actually get attention doing that, so obviously people are gonna go there and pretend to have crazy religious shit happen to them.

I disagree. Maybe if it didn't happen to people with no prior incidents but it does a lot

>What does Veeky Forums think of Jerusalem Syndrome?
It's a myth to increase Israeli tourism.

Veeky Forums field trip to jerusalem when?