Ancient arms and armour

Real ones, repro, art, you name it.

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/09/gou-lian-dao.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8VApzdlG4wo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love how well preserved bronze helmets look.

Do we have any actual indication as to how the hilts on these La Tène swords looked?
I'll assume they weren't all fancy anthropomorphic.

Just looking at a scabbard, you can tell they were probably designed expertly.

Beauty what civ made this?

While labeled as a Yanyue Dao(Reclining moon glaive),this example resembles the Goulian Dao(Hook sickle glaive) instead.
greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/09/gou-lian-dao.html

There is this antiques shop in my city that has a lot of really cool shit but what stood out the most for me was this Japanese helmet supposedly from the Sengoku Jidai era.

Pretty neat if true.

The only Roman Vexillum that survives today, most likely saw battle with the flag/ Vexillum bearer.

From the late Roman Empire, imagine one's from Caesar or Augustus' times. The is a better painted colour one.

Bongistani Celts.

A Celtic helmet for a pony. Part of a pair for two ponies pulling a chariot.

Bent and smashed Swords of the enemy found in bogs sacrificed to a long forgotten god. (Scotland.)

This can be classed as a weapon? It was used on the battlefield to organize deployments.

I love pic related, dated to around 2400 BC, the Lissan Rapier from Ireland was a bizarre weapon.

Nice video by Lindy explaining the expansion of Bronze swords from Ireland eastwards to Europe.

youtube.com/watch?v=8VApzdlG4wo

Probably the Bell Beaker technology back migrated into continental Europe.

Bretty gool. That is a weird looking sword. Was rapier fighting even a thing way back when? Or is it possibly a ceremonial item?

Here's an even. Bigger pile found in a different bog in Scotland.

>2400
whoops, meant to say 1500BC-1400BC

pic related is an 8th century BC Iron spear from Ireland, remarkable condition due to its location of burial being a Bog.

>ceremonial item?
That seems to be the consensus, but if everyone used Rapiers then, they may have been used merely to stab each other.

Roman cavalry masks must have been really intimidating to see. I'm pretty pumped for July, there is a 30 horse Roman cavalry display near Hadrians wall and a recreation military camp with reenactors!

You mean 1400 bc

They look like the bronze swords from Sardinia

is that the antiques shop on the barbican?

Correct, geddon Janner

YES, favorite thread. Can someone give me more info on the armor of orthodox saints, they seem very odd, the breastplates are mostly klivanium, but the helmets, as in pic related i can't identify.

damn im on fire

Why were leaf bladed shapes abandoned? They seem like they would make any sword length excellent at cutting without increasing the mass a lot

It is an issue of weight distribution. A broad tip area will make the blade more tip heavy. This can be partially counteracted with distal taper (pic related) although you won't ever get the feel of a straight blade.

A long blade that tapers more evenly can still deliver nasty cuts, I assume that it's no coincidence that leaf-shaped swordblades were usually on the short end.

That's what I fucking get for phoneposting

Celts are based when it comes to metallurgy. It sucks that there beliefs where autistic.

I found one more in my files. This is a proper claymore used in battle. It's meant to be up to your chin when the tip is on the floor.

what's your postcode area?

Riding in the ranks of the 2eme Carabiniers was 23-year-old trooper François-Antoine Fauveau. A recent recruit, Fauveau’s height of 1.79 metres gave him the ideal stature for a heavy cavalry regiment. These, after all, were intended to be big men on big horses, riding down the enemy by the weight of their charge. The young man’s service papers also record that he had a “long, freckled face with a large forehead, blue eyes, hooked nose, and a small mouth”.

Is that a cannonball hole!?

yeah thats why i posted it

I love the way Ancient Greek helmets mimiced hats.
The Phrygian helmet must be my favourite.

Shit like this is pretty sobering.

At least he probably died quickly.

A gladiator helmet from 79AD, just before Vesuvius erupted
pretty eerie if you ask me

>tfw a gorillion decent galea repros for sale but no republican stuff
>tfw no apulocorinthians, konos, chalcydians montefortinos, coolus or any variety of Attic that doesnt look halloween-tier

was done in at waterloo I believe... guy must've had the worst luck in the world...

>look look Greece! :3 !
>we made a Helmet!
>doesn't it look just like yours big brother!

well i rather get a cannon ball in the chest and instand die insted of geting my leg shot off and get trampled in the mud

You wouldn't instantly die from a cannonball, I doubt he even got permanently injured

heres a (you)

Just walk it off Francois, quit being such a puss.

Mind giving me a rundown? Never really been into them that much.

A CUTE!