Age of religions

my step-sister just told me that islam is older than christianity and that they were friends with the jews during the roman times and it's the first time i hear this. I looked it u on wiki and nothing confirms it and she said she learned this in uni, can someone redpill me on "old islam"?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/3109842-the-shaping-of-christianity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

jews and muslims before israel didn't have perfect relations to each other because of the nature of islam, obviously, but they had better relations with each other than the christians in europe ever had with the jews

israel as in the old israelite times or israel as in 1947?

Your step sister is a fucking dumbass then. Muhammad didn't even live till like 550 years after Jesus died. Muslims and Jews always have and still today hate each other.

I want you to get out a pen and a piece of paper here.

If you're going to samefag, vary the sentence structure and actually use capitalization.

Actually, if you're going to post on Veeky Forums in general, do that shit.

not samefagging, i just suck at writting

OP here, both my sisters were given Gerard Ballée's "The Shaping of Christianity: The History and Literature of Its Formative Centuries (100-800)" to read in University. only problem is there are few reviews of it online and the only one i found is:

This book epitomizes the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." The author himself is clearly out of his depth and lacks the requisite knowledge and experience to adequately discuss the topic which he has taken up and provides the reader with just enough to confuse and mislead him (or her).

Vallee seems to rely excessively upon secondary sources, and not very good ones at that. His use of primary sources is sparse at best and most of those few citations he does provide for us seem to have been lifted directly from the secondary sources he uses rather than taken up by himself from a personal, firsthand reading of the actual primary sources. As a result, Vallee's treatment is generally shallow and distorted and overly reliant on a single position on certain contentious issues.

Happily, his treatments of most subjects and individuals he covers are so brief that he can't do much damage to the mind of the uninformed reader. Most of the book reads like a badly-written, ill-informed encyclopedia entry; the rest reads like a badly-written, ill-informed undergraduate term paper. The entire book is badly-written and ill-informed.

In short, if you are looking for an introduction to the formative/Patristic period of Christianity, this is not the book you're looking for.

goodreads.com/book/show/3109842-the-shaping-of-christianity

anyone here read it?

Muslims believe that Islam is the complete and universal version of a primordial faith that was revealed many times before through prophets including Adam, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. They think that the first Muslim was not Muhammed but Adam, who was also the first human being. Your sister was probably using the Islamic definition of "Islam" when she said that Islam is older than Christianity

she said there were actual societies of muslims that considered themselves as a seperate society to the jews and then to the christians (once it became a thing, that is). Is this correct?

No.

but that's exactly what i think, user.
i'm trying to find where this information is found but i can't find anything. Everytime i look islam it gives me the beginning at Muhammad (or however they spell it)

Typically, if you can't find any evidence of a given thing existing, it doesn't exist.

Also, university ain't what it used to be.

>Also, university ain't what it used to be.
i'm hoping for the sake of society that's wrong. I can't disprove the idea that my initial argument was correct but i am truly afraid that they are learning falcities in University.

>she said there were actual societies of muslims that considered themselves as a seperate society to the jews and then to the christians (once it became a thing, that is).

Well, again, this is exactly what Muslims believe. They think that people like Moses and Jesus as well as their early followers self-identified as Muslims until some heretics who claimed to follow these prophets corrupted and subverted the beliefs of these prophets in order to create two separate religions known as "Judaism" and "Christianity"

On the slim buy depressingly non-zero chance that this isn't just a ponzi scheme for (you)'s, your step-sister is a retard and whatever university she's """"""studying""""" at ought to have its charter revoked. Islam definitely does not predate Christianity or Judiasm.

ARABS as a cohesive ethnic identity existed before Christianity, but ARABS are not the same thing as ISLAM, even though today we tend to conflate the two. That's the only possible explanation I can think of for your retarded step making that claim. Now dump her nudes or gtfo come on chop chop.

>On the slim buy depressingly non-zero chance that this isn't just a ponzi scheme for (you)'s
i'm sorry, user.

She studies at Concordia University in Montreal and she is studying to be a journalist...

She spoke not of arabs but of islam specifically

>a journalist
This entire scenario rustles too many of my jimmies to be real

hence why i posted the thread, i cling on to my belief that i am wrong on the subject in order to stay sane.

Borrow the book from her and tell us just how stupid this book is.

Also, clarify what is she supposedly "learning" there and who is her teacher, this could explain more than the book itself, and could help in preserving sanity.

>this is exactly what Muslims believe.
This. My guess is that OP's sister came across the Muslim belief that their religion is ancient and was stupid enough to take it at face value without any critical thought. If she got the idea from a book, it was probably explaining the concept, and she didn't realize it wasn't a factual statement (people do this all the time while skimming shit about history they don't understand or care about).

please let her know she's a retard

damn that's fucking retarded

>Christianity founded 2000 years ago
>Islam, 1400 years ago
there ya go

A muslim here, no there was no societies of muslims before christianity. As Jesus was born more than 500 years before Mohammed. Any other questions ??!

How do you get the goats to stand still?

t. concerned kiwi

Did you know that Zoophilia is banned in every muslim country while several western countries allow it? I thunk that its the westerners who are the goatfuckers.

muslims like to claim that islam is the religion of adam, and that judaism, christianity, and even some non abrahamic monotheistic religions
are variations and corruptions of islam

Yeah it would be completely unfair to say that muslims fuck goats. We ALL know that they prefer pederasty :^).

>Muslims and Jews always have

No they haven't. It's an extremely recent phenomena.

It's Christianity that hates Jews since Christianity is just glorified anti-Semitism.

This is what i heard. Do Abraham couldnt impregnate his wife then god said "no problem. Take your maid" which he did (probably without hessitating).
Then is wife still became pregnant and thats why its said jews are from the wife and muslims from the maid.
Cousins or brothers experiencing an extreme form of sibling rivalry.

But this means that its about bloodlines so many dont even to bother to die in these religious wars for people who have no ties to us.

One of my modules at uni, for history is "African contributions to modern day western society" taught by a black man. Uni isn't what it used to be, I just want a degree so I can leave South Africa and get away from these people

Ever noticed that the story takes place during the jewish revolt, but had no mention of it in the books despite there having been two of them?
The Romans got pissed and created a rival religion in which they killed their/the jewish messiah. Awesome revenge. Add that they made an earlier continuation of a popular story, the Aeneid.
So we have motivation and signs that show that this was a common practice to them. And add the immensely popular Buddhism in ancient greece and rome (grecco-buddhism) and you see where Jesus received his characteristics from.

Any contributing thoughts to my personal hypothesis?

What are those contributions? What has the teacher said?

This was last year, I'll dig thru and find my notes. But basically he starts going off about the contributions of Africans and the two other white people in my class all look at each other, look down at the 150+ young black kids and most of us walked out. Lectures in South Africa, when doing a history degree all turn into a political debate where white people get shat on. This one chick last year said that "aids was brought to Africa by the white colonizers as a form of biological warfare to try kill us" I was like bitch what?? Turned into an ugly debate where even the lecturer agreed with her, despite me showing evidence and stuff. So they don't listen, they're filling up young newly political black brains with stuff that isn't true

We have done Islamic, Chinese and African contributions to the western world (all last year) next year my module is "Africa in the 19 century" or something, this year I'm currently doing g the rise and fall of the Zulu kingdom, colonialism affects, apartheid and the struggles to resist it and iron/stone age communities. All very racially, emotionally charged topics and im now the only white person doing history so it's fuck awkward.

>African contributions to modern day western society

This is correct OP, Islam has existed since God made the Earth, Adam and Eve were Muslims.

Why the fuck do these Anime Islam pictures crack me up so much?

thx, annon.

Shit I'm in Concordia too, if they teach that kind of retarded shit here I better be careful.

>not studying in Lasalle like all the Veeky Forums kids do
nerd

but yeah what said

That sounds fucked up. Good luck user.
>Lasalle
>Good
I'm in JMSB anyway, I don't meddle with the rest of the Concordia plebs.
And I agree, university like almost everything else took a dip in quality recently.

good luck, user. I don't know the Concordia campuses well but i infiltrated a couple "resist Trump and the far-right" meetings and lost faith in the school.

Thanks user.
I only arrived in Canada 5 months ago and lived in France before. It is the first time I see girls with blue, purple or green hair, actually obese people, actual textbook neckbeards saying "akshuhally", and actual SJWs. I feel like memes came to reality, it's really different. I try to avoid retarded lefty shit but it oozes from everywhere. At least the Asians don't give a fuck about that.

>They think they teach true things at universities.

Post more Anime Islam pics please.

Tacitus wrote that the Arabs always had hated the jews.

Amazing hypothesis

Pederasty is widespread only in Afghanistan, and even there it is virtually non-existent in areas that are controlled by Taliban and ISIS due to the fact that these terror groups severely punish pederasts by beheading, crucifying and stoning them

>actually obese people
>says the guy who is from south africa
Every other boer I met is either a hamplanet or extremely attractive.

I'm the French guy, no fatties here, it's an Anglo thing.

Pirating chinese cartoons is also illegal where I live but that never stopped me.

It's literally written in the quran that it's okay to stone jews to death

Muslims are retarded, just ignore it. They also claim that Kabaa was built by Abraham, who was also a Muslim.

Some fringe Muslim groups even claim that Alexander the Great didn't die but became a Muslim mystic instead.

There were monotheist people in the arabian peninsula whose religion was apparently not influenced by old judaism. These people were the sabeans I think.

journalism is just about the lowest tier of college-educated work. these people don't know anything except how to write like journalists, for the most part. there are some exceptions, but knowing anything about the world is purely optional.

Your sister is a fucking dumbass.

There's an interesting theory that Christianity is actually older than it is.

elaborate?

>Any contributing thoughts to my personal hypothesis?
Yes, hang yourself

There's a reference in Paul where he alludes to a certain ruler having agents controlling Damascus, and it's not really clear that Paul is talking about something that happened in AD because we don't have that much stuff to support that idea, but we do have references where a ruler of the same name had agents controlliing Damascus in BC, so there's a chance Paul could have been writing in BC than AD. Also to mention the Epistles of Clement has a reference that (I think it was the Corinth Church) was Ancient.

Holy fucking tabs Batman!

>this entire thread

Everyday we stray further away from God's light.

Which god? Name please

So is islma really a religion of peace or a religion of hate like /pol/tard believe ? I'm not trusting either side and as far as I can tell it's basically christanity: arab edition who never got modernized.

You're completely correct on that assessment.

I wonder if they would mention Rhodesia at all during that class.

Bait. True Muslims don't put faces on cartoons.

Correct. Except Isis is cool with pedastry in it's higher ups. Whilst the Taliban is zero tolerance

Name me one unrefutable error and i will.

Show us a PhD dissertation and we will. Burden of proof is on you. Not us.

The Jewish revolts didn't begin until 66AD

South African as well. I am honestly just so fucking glad that I'm in STEM, not humanities. And yet still, there are calls to "decolonise science." I have no fucking clue what that would mean because after the first week there is literally no political content at all in our course, the only exposure we have is the one-semester humanities elective we have to take during our degree. But still, there is only one acceptable stance in anything humanities-related and that is that whites are bad and it is bad to have white skin.
I went to an art exhibition at the uni (that was how it was advertised) yesterday expecting the opportunity to mill around and look at some cool paintings or photographs but actually it was a handful of objectively shit, highschool-tier art scattered around and a black dude performing "spoken word poetry" about how tough his life is and how it's all the fault of whites.