Am I wrong to think that culture is nothing but an hindrance to society and progression?

Am I wrong to think that culture is nothing but an hindrance to society and progression?

It does nothing of value for the modern world except hold us back and waste time on useless rituals. What is the point of keeping Alice culture from dead societies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ej0NBRwht-w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on what culture you're talking about, there can be progressive cultures that are always looking ahead and have very little ritual attached to it.

Some degree of ritual will always be there though, Dating, Learning, Eating, Sex, Meeting new pretty much any social interaction requires Ritual.

You sound like the kind of person that takes his culture and cultural norms for granted. Go travel a bit.

Define progress. Protip: you cannot make use of culture in your definition.

Ritualistic culture seems to me the same as the state of Old Testament religion, basically the 'letter of the law'. I think the end of culture comes through the fulfillment of that culture, or the 'spirit of the law'.

What the fuck is this a picture of?

Its true
in order for progress to be made, old culture must be destroyed; as to allow for new expression, the zeitgeist of the current era to take its place
Look at mainland china, Russia, and the cosmopolitan west, the perfect epitome of the new society

>nothing of value

Citation needed

>except hold us back

Hold us back from what?

>useless rituals

Not everything has to be practically useful user.

Yes, you are wrong
Watch the whole 10 minutes, pay attention to the part where he talks about stripping away the foundations of society: youtu.be/Ej0NBRwht-w

(((Shapiro)))

Yes preserve the banks goy

he's a neocon little bitch yeah, but an absolute genius when it comes to social conservatism
Fuck off /pol/

Yes, you are wrong. Culture is what binds a society together, giving people a sense of shared meaning and purpose.

'Progress' is just a buzzword used by Marxists to justify their atrocities against innocent people.

Hey OP: define "culture" for us.

So the way we've changed our views about the mentally ill (treating them as sick individuals instead of just locking them up in an asylum like the old days), the scientific breakthroughs that have allowed us to travel to the stars and treat previously incurable diseases, this isnt progress? its just a way for Marxists to commit atrocities against innocent people? Okay.

yes you are completely wrong and do not understand what "culture" means in the first place.

>""""progression""""
Veeky Forums has gone downhill. I've all but entirely abandoned this board. not sure what happened.

Science =/= Culture, you imbecile
Of course culture adapts and changes overtime, doesn't mean outright trashing it like a dumb whig progressive
Just because I exchange a sword with a gun doesn't mean I abandon my culture, as long as its inherent spirit are retained, it is still alive

culture is the thing in which animates societal action. If you had no culture you would be a shit.

Culture is a much larger thing than you think. Your desire for progress is most likely deeply influenced by your culture with the narrative that history itself is progressive. Having cultures that are immovable can be an issue as they can be outdated by changing circumstances.

until somehow you engineer humans without a need for meaning and societal living culture is the only thing
furthermore, this:

*culture is the only thing that satisfies those needs

>he thinks 1700s edge is good bait

Your edge is outdated by like 300 years

rigid traditional thinking as a part of culture, maybe.
but things like art (including modern media) and science are part of culture as well.
It is just that progress is enabled by integrating the scientific method into our culture, but getting rid of culture will deprive us of many things we enjoy and maybe even need.

How about you try learning literally the first possible thing about sociology?

A common mores is a prerequisite for the formation of society.
Folkways and rituals significantly strengthen group solidarity and are invaluable to integration.
The lack of a clearly-defined mores reflects very poorly on the psychological state of people (anomie).
The internalization of culture during the period of primary socialization is literally what makes you into a human being (look up feral children).
Culture a very important way knowledge is transmitted intergenerationally.

But yes, you sure showed us that culture is useless. I presume you're too hopped up on memes to appreciate art and symbolism, too. People like you make me sad.

>social conservatism
In other words, a conservative SJW, wow.

we're very ritualistic in the US at least.

Rituals that pretty much everyone does:

>weddings
>funerals
>dates (as the other user mentioned)
>pledge of allegiance
>jury duty
>sporting events in general
>handshaking
>etiquette
>holiday feasts/celebrations
>any actual religious rituals you do

etc etc etc

people don't notice they have a culture with rituals until they leave it and look upon it from the outside

The world would be an infinitely more boring and less interesting place without it.

That's the whole world and every non western countries are much more ritualistic than that

it's only the whole world now because of globalization, used to be just western nations, and as you've said there are still holdouts that would still view our rituals as odd and vice versa. Just because they're widespread doesn't mean they're not rituals. Hell, you could even argue your daily cup of coffee is a ritual, or if you're a tea person you can argue teatime is a ritual. If you come home and hit a cigarette every day or smoke a bowl every day, those are rituals.

Him and I are social conservatives but we don't believe the government should enforce any of our beliefs, so therefore libertarians

It's not the same