Anti-Chinese Movements

Why were anti-Chinese sentiments so prominent in the Anglosphere (particularly the US, Canada, and Australia) during the second half of the 19th century? Was it justified or irrational?

Some examples:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambing_Flat_riots
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Springs_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_massacre_of_1871
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_anti-Chinese_riots,_1886

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BidF_qSwkWQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why were anti-Chinese sentiments so prominent in the Indosphere (particularly Indonesia, Malaysia, and Vietnam) during the second half of the 20th century? Was it justified or irrational?

>Indosphere
>Vietnam

???

I know you want to justify xenophobia and racism, but maybe you could start with not looking like a complete idiot.

>Indochina

>Indosphere

Can you read?

Still spans the region.
On another note; the sentiments are the same.
>regarded as a fifth column
>there's a fuckton of 'em

>xenophobia and racism

Can you please refrain from buzzwords? This is an academic forum.

It's just nativism/racism. Not terribly complex. They're taking our jobs, won't assimilate, different from me and I don't like it, etc. You know, the usual nativist arguments.

Chinks are sneaky fuckers, very similar to jews.

Are you implying nativism is inherently bad?

>why were a people who are different in almost every way oppressed
Gee user I wonder why throughout society you have always had hooligans riot

their history is a lie and their society is silly

/2cents

Are we talking about China or Australia right now?

There was that anti Chinese thing where a group of semi-Mongols occupied their country and made Chinese men shave the front of their heads like retards.

>Indosphere spans Vietnam, Phillipines

"No"

Why did the Han Chinese who immigrated to North America and elsewhere keep wearing that slave hairstyle when they were out of Manchu jurisdiction?

Honestly if they didn't look so alien to Westerners they probably wouldn't have been so reviled. The Japanese who immigrated to those countries didn't face nearly the same amount of violence and open hostility. Because they followed the "when in Rome" principle and wore western dress, instead of walking around with topknots and kimonos.

They've been wearing the queue for 200 years when the first Chinese started ending up in North America. It's all they've even known.

>It's all they've even known.

Except when they get to Western countries. Where everyone they encounter is dressed in a certain way that is seen as socially acceptable.

ROLL UP
SO YE BE SAYIN'
WE WUZ ANTICHINKS N SHIT?

The Chinese referred to China as the "Celestial/Heavenly Empire," something a EuroAmerican believing in a Western hierarchy of races would take offense with, hence the ironic slur "Celestial."

One of the more interesting subplots in Deadwood has to do with Chinese immigrants, conflict between those who resisted assimilation and those who didn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=BidF_qSwkWQ

kek