The Greatest Dictator that Never Was

How does France continue to celebrate the life of a man who was definitely bent on a dictatorship?

>This is what the French consider a hero

Pathetic

t. Anglo

better than that cuck Petain

>Be De Gaulle
>Ask the Americans to leave Paris early because it's embarrassing
>Pretend in your speech the Free french liberated it

He lost Algiers. He's an eternal cuck

>wanting Americans to take credit for freeing you like some sort of cuck

He did the right thing.

Literally no choice. No other colonial powers kept their colonies.

But they literally did free him. He's just being delusional and insecure.

>protecting the image of your country after its darkest hour is delusional and insecure.

everyone would've done the same.

This faggot almost ruined D-day because he couldn't keep his fat frog mouth shut

This

Collaboratism is literally the highest level of cuckery

why is being liberated by an ally damaging to france's image?

french so bitter, they refuse to commemorate british soldiers who died on d-day at memorials.

>Successful general against the g*rman menace
>Becomes leader of the country
>Fights against barbarian tribes (vietnam and algeria)
>Thrown out after attempting a (soft) coup
>Still a beloved hero in spite of this

Are the French truly the heirs of Rome?

It's really fucking sad

Since when do countries commemorate the dead soldiers of other countries? Now you're just nitpicking to defame the french.

France commemorates dead US soldiers who fell on D-Day. No such privilege for England, though.

He was the only facist leader who got facism right.
If you look the french republic you will see a lot of facist stuff mixte with direct democracy.

I blame hollywood for that.

>>Ask the Americans to leave Paris early because it's embarrassing
He didn't want France to become USA's dog, we wanted France to be a big independent power.

>Pretend in your speech the Free french liberated it
Do you think you will give your people its dignity back by telling them how they all collaborated surrendered then with the enemy?
Of course he had to lie, so he talked about how France was "great" and stuff, to make the french recover their pride.

>an ally
>Eisenhower literally talking about "a friendly colonization of France"

Typed this out back in March. Hope people won't mind if it dump it again, but it usually helps settle why the French admire him.

There are still many people very angry at Le Havre bombings occuring throuhgout the Liberation, and all that "perfidious" part of the English part of it. It'll go away away as the elderly decease I guess though, but come on, but there, that's why some people would rather like the Americans over the Brits.

Honestly, I doubt it. And I don't think this was even a French thing. De Gaulle was a pain in the ass throughout the war, too, it wasn't something that started in 1945. It worked out for him in the end, though.

Good post. Can you clarify on the gramps part?

>There are still many people very angry at Le Havre bombings occuring throuhgout the Liberation, and all that "perfidious" part of the English part of it. It'll go away away as the elderly decease I guess though, but come on, but there, that's why some people would rather like the Americans over the Brits.
I'm not certain why, given it was the British who mostly went to bat for De Gaulle. Hell, Roosevelt could barely hide his contempt and planned to rule France like occupied Berlin after the war.

He'd been conscripted in the Algerian war, and was slightly irked like many others (being that his brother had also served pointlessly and to no purpose in Indochina), though I later detail that despite this, he was never really drawn to linking up with the OAS (who were encompassing of disappointed French soldiers, French settlers in Algeria or the extreme-right).

Oh I do go into that while trudging through his life. Like you say, it's only from Churchill tolerating him that he got to sit at the "big boy table" (though mainly because Churchill would want a pro-colonialism sidekick when the war would end), and I even venture into saying Roosevelt was the one smirking at making France an occupied country (which France very narrowly escaped).

The thing against the English is mostly apolitical, and more from what the public thinks (since they were the generation to have witnessed Mers-el-Kebir and Le Havre). De Gaulle like the English a lot, but was very wary that in the shadow of the British, there were the Americans lurking nearby. So in fact, his doubts on the British were only really against the Americans..

>french so bitter, they refuse to commemorate british soldiers who died on d-day at memorials.
That's wrong, and we even probably honor Canadians better than you do.

Bit of an his sperg here, but I live in the Somme, where there were many Canadians who died in the famous battle, and last year our president decided not to come to the celebration, not even to send a minister. I cried like a bitch knowing that my country would stoop this low.

source ?
Because I only heard that from american hearsay, who at the time wanted Leclerc to lead the Free French

Sort of. De gaulle largely acted on his own initiative here and infuriated the americans with his paris shenanigans. He also deserves credit for establishing regional prefectures to prevent the indignity american military administration. For the better, probably, was his restraint in purging collaborators. This can be seen as a flaw but it might well have prevented civil war or at the very least it allowed reconciliation. France for example had 10k summary execution by firing squads of partisans whereas belgium abd the betherlands had something like 40k summary executions each. Finally de gaulle has the credit of securing a seat on the UN security council and a role in the german occupation.

The algierian army essebtially couped the government and tried to install a former petainist(forgot bame) but settled for de gaulle as a compromise. De gaulle had already shown his halfhearted support for algeria but the militarists had no choice. And as the guy who quit 4th republican politics in demand for a new constitution with a dtronger executive, de gaulle was never going to accept military coercion to try to undermine his position. The military withdrawal is inevitable in light of these factors

>a former great power with a strong nationalist tradition utterly defeated by an enemy and undergoes humiliating occupation and the rule of a collaborationist government subordinate to said enemy in every sense.
>economy pumped dry to fuel ebemys war effort
>implying that the appearance of foreign liberation wouldnt be another added humiliation to a formerly very nationalist people
>implying that the new french political system could liv with foreign liberation as the foundation myth of their new order
As much as i think national spirit is a meme, de gaulle was right to give the impression to the french they liberated themselves and that they were all part of a resistance movement (thouggh none of these were true). It prevented butthirt revanchism

Even China has a memorial for US pilots who helped fight the Japanese there.