Post reasons why you became an atheist

Post reasons why you became an atheist

The idea of god was uninteresting to me.

>That giant non-moving slump of the 'Dark Ages'
>Not recognising achievements within that time or achievements outside of the European sphere.

Jesus, this is some Family guy fan level of autism right now. Even though there wasn't much majorly accepted advancement in the scientific fields during the 'Dark Ages' there was still plenty of development to the point of achieving that which the Romans did and developing their own methodology, the invention of the windmill for example, comparatively minor but had a massive effect on agricultural development.

The man who was selling fedoras wouldn't give me one unless I could prove I didn't believe in god. Totally worth the eternity in hell, this thing looks dope af.

Yeah man Byzantium was surely in a dark age

I find religions interesting in a historical, social and spiritual sense but I have never really agreed with any of the hardline morals of any of them, save Buddhism but even then I don't practice that because I don't wanna be a hippie spiritualist "christianity is evil" type nigga

The idea of the abramic god look man made to me.
Didn't help that i was raise in a little town were everybody was Superstitious who thought that everything was god will.
So I guess it started as a rebel act I wasn't atheist at first but Martin Luther calling people idiots for doing shit like kissing statues of saints or giving them money, saying that the priest were thief and liars for promoting dumb religious beliefs instead of actually educating people about god.
Then I went full fedora

The world is a lot older than 6000 years

>tfw medieval inventions like vertical windmills, vast expansions of water-powered mechanisation, tidal mills, mechanical trip hammers, blast furnaces, stern rudders, weight driven clocks, metal rolling mills, treadle-operated vertical looms, steel span crossbows, artesian drilling, chimneys, treadmill cranes, harbour cranes, floating cranes, mast cranes, oil paints, the hourglass, the compound crank, waterpowered paper mills, the dry compass, the astronomical compass, the nocturnal, the albion and the altitudinal dial will all be attributed to the renaissance for some reason
really makes you think

Because I'm not 12 yo

I realized there are a lot of religions in the world that all claim different things, with nothing to really make one in particular stand out as likely.

Because religion is a direct enemy to science, knowledge and anyone cool!

this

/thread

Because I have catholic, Protestant and Muslim distant family members and they are all retarded in the extreme. Having them try to each push their religion as true to me created irreconcilable cognitive dissonance. Then I became a neck beard lord for a few years, then I realised it was the same in group out group cult pattern. Now I just tell people I'm a pagan in all seriousness to see their reaction and derail religious conversations because I find them tedious.

>inb4 your prob a Rtard too hurdur.

make up your mind loser.
There's nothing more edgy than being a contrarian because of the sake of contrarianism

It's been a while since I was an atheist, but I would say the main reason I became one was because scientism made sense when I was a teenager; however, I now think that science is limited in its scope, and there exists things beyond its reach, including, most likely, supernatural beings attested to by thousands of years of human experience and religious teaching.

I have made my mind up, the god of Abraham can get fucked. I get my sense of spirituality from observing the logos and order of the universe. Some people call that paganism or nature worship for lack of a pigeon hole.

Care to share your enlightenment buddy?

There could be a creator for all I know. I don't discount the existence of a creator completely. I certainly don't believe in a Christian god or other mainstream pantheons though. The idea that only you are in charge of your own fate is much more appealing to me.

Actually steam power was invented by ancient Greeks but was never implemented because slavery existed as the de facto economy. So it's more complex than you think. The reason we are where we are today is because it was going to happen this way no matter what

I'm agnostic, It thats counts as atheist; I've never had god help me, I'm usually just haunted by extremely bad luck instead. Eventually I just became agnostic, especially since the bible itself makes no sense. Plus there is also the following statement; If god was just, he would not condemn you for not believing in him. If god was bad, you should not worship him. If God is oblivious, then why try to please him? He won't even notice and it won't affect your chance on paradise.

As long as I choose to be atheist it means God created me to be atheist so I'm fucked. If I turn Christian then it means God meant for me to be Christian. Judging whether to be Christian or not be their standards is pretty easy

I used to be one of those atheists because I thought that, if God were to exist, he would understand why I didn't believe in Him for he has given me no reason to believe in Him. That He should just reveal Himself to me and, if he didn't or wouldn't, then it was not my fault for being an atheist. It was on Him.

Then I grew up and had a sudden moment of clarity (I describe it like that because I don't want to use the word miracle) and I've been an absolute believer in God ever since. I actually cringe when I think back on my atheist days and hope He will forgive me.

The achievements outside of Christendom wouldn't matter for the purpose the graph means to illustrate.

God's actions made no sense given his purported motivations and goals. When ever I point to an example of this people would respond with 'mysterious ways' as if that explained why God would chose to do something in the lease effective way possible.

I was a Baptist, atheist, and now I try to follow the sanatana dharma.

There is no civilization outside Christendom.

Because I'm so self depricating that the idea that a being powerful enough to make the universe would be even remotely invested in anything as fallible as humans is honestly insulting to god creation in general. The fact that most religons are insultingly vulgar and backwards is just salt in the wound. I don't know if a creator exists but Im sure as hell if he does humans are the least of his concern if he's even still around at all.
Side note, op are you just a Christian making fun of us/banting or are you honest to god that embarrassing

I've never been religious. Never made sense to me.

Your ironic shitposting image aside, because I don't think there's any merit in believing a single religious text as metaphysical or historical truth, because I believe that ideas about the world that were posited by religions two thousand years ago are now obsolete and characteristic of the time period, and because what we know about how the brain works disproves the idea of an afterlife. That being said, I wouldn't be so adamant to say that there is no possibility for something metaphysical outside of what we know about the universe, just that organized religions of today are false.

Byzantium made no contributions outside of siege weapons

>Having faith in the idea that there is no god, no morality, and purpose to live.

I feel bad for you dumb atheists.

>God is required for morality and a purpose for living

This is why people don't take religious arguments seriously

My priest was a retard and said something like "Yeah they've found human fossils riding dinosaurs"
that is when I checked out

I'm not necessarily against the idea of something more, a soul maybe. But I can't accept the idea of just ONE god coming out of one region of the world at one time period is the correct religion while all others are wrong.

He wont

You just showed us that you don't even know what atheism is.

atheism=not believing in a god

means something else than believing that there are no gods (we can't know for sure)

>believing in something without any evidence and wasting your money and time on this imaginary product

I feel bad for you stupid religious people

Hinduism is accepting of God showing himself to many people in different forms.

You may be right. And I will have to face and accept that. I prefer to hope He will see I'm genuine and that I humbly seek His grace. I was very cynical when I was an atheist, too. Cynicism is overrated.

OP's image is trash and anyone who believes it is a dummy

Free will can't exist because everything has traceable and direct causes. This especially makes sense in a godless universe, but applies to theism as well. In the latter case, God's willing predestination of some to hell is morally repulsive, so why worship? Especially if I am destined to hell anyway.

so which God do you believe in now
if its the Christian God, you could say "revelation" but miracle isn't incorrect either. bible says that we can't seek for God on our own unless he opens our eyes and softens our hearts to him

My God.

Not even religious but I'm pretty sure the point is that every change of heart you will ever have is "predestined". You may think you're destined for Hell, but you might have a redemption you won't know about, and you still have the "freedom" to change your mind, those changes are just predestined. It's an excuse for possible changes. It's basically saying "all kinds of stuff will happen and fork in different ways, but it's still predestined on a metaphysical level". Maybe someone who's actually religious can correct me.

don't be a smartass

I'm not.

Yes you are. Just like so many other religious people on this board. You don't have to be so pretentiously esoteric.

>using that fake graph

>what are forks
>what are wheelborrows
>what is cerment
>what is silk
>what is flame throwers

I'm not. Relax, bud. He's my God and your God. He's all of our God, whether we acknowledge Him or don't. Whether we like it or not.

see

Then answer his question. Which religion do you belong to?

okay so the bahai god then
how about the fact that all religious are incompatible. Jesus for example said he is the only way to god
is he everyones god except for christians then?

I became an atheist at around 17 because I didn't have much else going on for me, so the appeal of "become an atheist and you'll become instantly smarter than most of these sheep in the world". Then I became a Deist because I was slightly more intellectually honest and it let me sound even more pretentious. Now I'm a Christian and have been for about 4 years

I think even the trivial events leading up to my fate are also predestined. The universe is on one, unalterable path due to the laws of physics, and in humans, chemistry. Changing my mind out of "free will" wouldn't make sense on an atomic level. It would be as if a bouncing ball suddenly decided to defy gravity and bounce in mid-air

Pretty sure he doesn't follow one. He believes on his own personal interpretation of God and believes it to be the only one. It's not that hard to understand from his posts.

Then he could just say so instead of being pretentious.

No. I am an Evangeline. I believe in Jesus Christ.

>No. I am an Evangeline.
damn you are pretentious
could just say you're a Christian from the beginning

I don't believe everything modern Christians believe, though. So I don't declare myself Christian. And I don't believe Christ was the end even if I believe he was the Savior. We're not done.

I was an atheist because I was a fat smelly good for nothing that paid no attention in class but pretended to be smart, luckily saw evidence and am a gnostic nao, getting back into putting knowledge on my head.

Scientific popularism

I came from a christian background but hardly ever went to church, I started to go to church later on life but the ones I went to were those kind that play rock music when worshipping, and it kind of drove me off, I think. I've been spiritually hungry and I've read some interesting things about Judaism and have some online jew friends that I've talked about God with for several hours. sadly, there's no jew community near here.

as far as christianity itself goes, a lot of protestantism doesn't feel like "real" worship. Catholic is too roman-pagan influenced. I have had some slight interest in orthodox Christianity, but I haven't read much into it and I hear it's even more pagan influenced.

It took a while. I was raised Christian. A teacher helped me learn to ask bigger questions. Like how and why would a god do any of it? I sought rigorous answers, no longer content with "God works in mysterious ways" and the like. Later I started comparing different religions. Instead of focusing on the differences, I began to see the similarities. Then it hit me that all of the religions are human constructs whose purpose is to provide a framework that explains the world around us. It made so much sense. With my epiphany I lost the very framework that I had relied upon. But it didn't matter--I felt free. I accepted that I don't know everything about the universe, but that I can always seek answers to the unknown, even though I may not find them. I'm glad that I was brought up Christian. I learned the value of helping others. Now I feel like I see the big picture much more clearly, including religion's role in the human experience.

I stopped caring about afterlife.
Non religious explanations of the world satisfy me, I thus see no reason to delve into religion.

I became an atheists the first time I had to pay taxes and saw a fat extra for church taxes.
Also this

I just posted this on the Catholic thread in /pol/

>grow up catholic
>go to catholic grade school and high school
>debate fedoras online, usually end up winning
>start to debate people who are actually intelligent, end up losing most of the time due to employing reasoning which is unsubstantiated
>start reading the works of apologists to figure out how to improve my arguments
>find a decent amount of good improvements on my arguments, but over time notice inconsistencies and fallacies elsewhere
>start playing devil's advocate (no pun intended) in arguing for atheism to see if it is my ability
>end up being on the logical side of debates/arguments most of the time through my knowledge of the problems with religious interpretation
>decide to not be religious anymore over the course of a year, but that I won't actively seek to undermine religion
I've been this way ever since without any real change and today I don't usually debate religion to any degree.

Atheism is my favourite religion

Engineering, maritime and literature.

>A being fully capable of monitoring everything ever
>not be interested in people because of scale choose one

I was a Christian Youth member, I loved science.
One day priest played us Ray Cumfart's Evolution vs God. I saw how hypocritical and vile religious people are, looked critically at Church and left the Christian Youth.
I was deist after a while and then figured if God exists and I can't contact him why bother with the idea of God anyways.
Now I'm agnostic atheist.

How did you end up transitioning from Deism to Christianity? And why did you decide to change?

yet another person who thinks that all atheists are logical positivists *yawn*

But why would it care. What reason does people deserve more focus than the rest of reality, or any at all.

>The achievements outside of Christendom wouldn't matter for the purpose the graph means to illustrate.
What graph?
The X axis has no coordinates.

To a slightly related topic, where should I point a few friends of mine who unironically buy into it? They're well meaning folks, just going through a kind of edgy teenager phase.

I was born one, parent's where never religious and didn't force anything down my throat.

>Blaming Christianity for the Germanics' shit culture

I was like 13 and didn't want to go to bible classes to get confirmed.

Then when I got older I grew out of my edgy anti-religious phase.

>no god, no morality, and purpose to live
why are they necessary? why do you feel the need to make others believe in them?

This

I honestly wish I could get "into" a religion. I know it isn't much, but I've checked out a few different church denominations and read up on some other stuff. None of it stuck with me, though. It's a shame because often times, the people within the churches are quite nice to one another. Even after I realized religion, or at least christianity, wasn't for me, I kept going to a church for a few more months until the pastor left (the best person there) because of the people

this
feels good

>y-axis
>scientific advancement

??????

What reason do you have to hold any values at all without a God judging you? Why not be an utterly degenerate hedonist within the boundaries of the law? 420 blaze it faggot.

because the idea of god, especially the abrahamic one, is completely nonsensical and i'm much happier living my life without the burden of thinking some magical omniscient being is keeping eternal record of my every thought

>hurr muh spaghetti monster meme

Atheists are fucking pathetic. Read some fucking philosophy and introduce your mind to metaphysical truth before you all become even bigger faggots.

The way that can be taught is not the eternal way; the Tao that can be known is not the eternal Tao.

They aren't saying that they are; the God, if it exists, may in fact monitor all life simultaneously and have concerns and laws for all things capable of self-reflection. For if a thing is omniscient, it may know all events everywhere at all times, and apply to each scrutiny beyond human measure.

Do not quantum events negate this? If everything is connected such that one thing cannot change without changing the others, and the smallest of these events is truly random and unknowable, then, over countless iterations of these events, the events above it, and above them, and so on, must also become unknowable with certainty.

What are your thoughts on Aristotle and Aquinas?

What are the best works on Athiesm and Theism in your experaince?

I think everyone is wrong and everyone is right in their wrongness. I don't believe there's a heaven or soul dimension after our life ends, but I do believe there are questions that science alone cannot answer without including a bit of spirituality. It's all a part of our human nature. Maybe not even human, just a nature derived from all living things.

>Blame Christian for Dark Age
>Only Christian country start Renaissance and Age of Enlightment.
That's why I believe in god again after try to become an atheist.
I have learned so much when i attemp to learn atheist. Big bang, Darwin theory, DNA,... all of it founded by a person that is still christian, they don't do much after abandoning their faith.
Of course, my belief is not in a Christian way. I only believe in god only, no book.

I understand where you're coming from but I disagree with you. Just because someone called themselves a Christian doesn't mean they actually were religious. Many, many great poets, mathematicians, scientists, etc were self proclaimed religious men (or women) but is that because of a societal content and obligation or a true testament of faith? We have the luxury now to denounce religion rather freely but in the past it was a deeply ingrained part of society. Christianity, Catholicism more precisely, was used as a way to control people. You think America is bad with its relationship between religion and government....remember how powerful the Catholic church was across Europe.

*context not content

grew up catholic.

theres no explanation for how evil can exist when god created everything that i found satisfying but im open to the idea of an all powerful being that could have created everything

also that chart makes me rage pretty hard

The Catholic Church greatly helps restoring Europe after the rise of Barbarian.
Just image all those Barbarians not convert to Chirstian and calm their Dick down. Christian also a superior religion, it's the religion that makes their believer willing to die for it and create a more stable Europe united in one faith, so control the people or not, it's a good thing for stability. Most free people not even use their freedom in good thing, so control them is like controlling a character in the game at you wish.
Also the Chirstian Church helps to restore and storing books back then, that's why they even have Galileo in the first place, because Christian country create more smart Brain to even have a debate with.

Wait, how is that freedom tho? Lol

I don't say the people that follow Chirstian Church have freedom, I just say that many people don't deserve to have freedom.
Like those people that wear tampon and dildo march for "science".

>entire continent besieged and embargoed by islam
>blame euros

>a pastor made me athiest