Why isn't Jesus in hell?

I'm an Atheist but this is a legit question for the theologically minded. I'm often told that the reason Jesus had to come to Earth and die for our sins was because someone had to pay the penalty for breaking God's law. God was incapable of breaking that rule because it was within his divine nature to be perfectly just, and not punishing a crime would be an unjust thing to do. So he created Jesus to take all of humanity's sins and then Jesus had to die. But if that's the case then how could Jesus ascend to heaven 3 days later? Shouldn't he be the only resident in hell suffering for all our sins? Since he's in heaven doesn't that imply that sinners can still go to heaven?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell
newadvent.org/cathen/02055a.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

someone had to pay the penalty for breaking God's law. God was incapable of breaking that rule
>he created Jesus to take all of humanity's sins and then Jesus had to die.
can any americans tell me what the name of this fuck stupid theology is?

Another atheist here. You've got it wrong. Jesus was sacrificed as repentance for Original Sin. He had no sin because he was God.

In much the way the Hebrews before Jesus would sacrifice a lamb to apologize for serious sins or to thank Yahweh for this or that good fortune, Jesus was sacrificed to apologize for the Original Sin. He's not the sinner, we are. He's the offering. That's why he's called the Lamb of God.

>atheist here
>Jesus was sacrificed as repentance for Original Sin.
big fuckin surprise

Because fuck you. Stop thinking and just go with it.

Are people culpable for original sin? If I'm born with sin, why is it right for me to be punished for it?

The simple answer is because he rose from the dead. And when he died we wasn't in hell because he was in the 'belly of the earth', and because he was righteous in life (he was the son of God)

Because you did nothing about it

To be honest if Jesus had the ultimate suffering then hell can't be worse than a crucifixion.

Honestly I have my doubts. The Romans got nothing on Chinese version of torture.

Would the logical thing to do get rid of sin is make the human race go extinct?

>I'm an Atheist
Opinion disregarded.

We can all agree that man isn't God (man = not God).
Christians say that Jesus was 100% man and %100 God
So basically Jesus was 100% not God and 100% God

explain this bullshit

China is hell.

Yes. Which is why God destroyed himself, rather than destroy humanity as he was justified in doing.

Isn't that beautiful? You should be grateful everyday.

Extermination of humanity would prevent billions of Muslims from going to hell.

That is true; Jesus is the union of God and not God, inside one incarnated being.

Just as the United Kingdom is the union of England and Scotland; two nations inside one kingdom, whose union doesn't result in one being "absorbed" or "destroyed".

Haven't you heard of the Harrowing of Hell? Tradition says Jesus did visit hell and then he broke out of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

I'm going to make up something called sin, but I don't want you to do it even though I made it in your nature to do it anyways.

Then I'm going to forgive you buy sending my son to die for something I made up even though in my all powerful nature could have just forgiven you some other way. So I'm forgiving you for the thing I made you do.

Oh and I am going to punish you with a fate worse than my son had so you wish you were only crucified by the Romans.

Oh and I'm also going to be vague and give you imperfect information about this scenario and my version of the truth was decided by a pagan Emperor and a bunch of men who were supposedly devinely inspired.

Oh and to really fuck with you I'm going to give Muhammad another version so if you were born as a Mulsim you are going to hell (or maybe not... maybe Muslims are right and you are going to hell).

>god was incapable of breaking that rule

nice omnipotence

Not that user, but as somebody growing increasingly interested in Christianity, I must ask - what is the basis for such a claim?

the Church voted on it in councils early in Christian history. In case you didn't know majority vote is a valid way of determining truth. That was also determined by majority vote.

That may be what is happening with transhumanism but that might be another Tower of Babel situation. The 'natural' thing i.e. what man is designed for is to allow the spirit of God to inhabit him and redeem him from sin

Men who never met Jesus determined it had to be so.

Majorities can vote for things that have no relation for the truth.

I mean would you accept the council if it had been all Muslim?

(i was being sarcastic)

your example is invalid

it's more like if im wearing a shirt and i claim that it's 100% cotton and 100% not cotton

Well if you arent baptized then you would spend an eternity in the first circle of hell.

That is of course If you believe the Inferno is some sort of biblical canon.

Is there a religion that is less coherent than Christianity? Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious if there is such a religion, and if so what is it?

You're saying that it is 100% cotton because it is written in the shirt, just as people believe Jesus is both God and man because it is written in the bible (the bible being the word of God, and Jesus being the Word who was God and was with God)

pls stobb :DDDDD

But what's the penalty? If it's hell then Jesus should be in hell. If the penalty is just dying then what's Jesus sacrifice for, we still die?

Then why did we need Jesus if we just needed a human sacrifice who would then go to heaven? Did we need like an extra special sacrifice for the original sin?

Why would his righteousness matter if he had taken on everyone's sins? Did the sins just disappear after he died, if so why did we need Jesus, couldn't God just do that for everyone's sins?

It' not an opinion, it's a question about the religion.

So is Jesus defying God or did God let him escape? If God can just let people leave hell then why not just do that and ignore the whole sacrifice process?

Because god cant make god(jesus) to hell unless jesus is not a god
You know what god doesnt even need to sacrefice himself or jesus for muh sinners if he can do anything and everything why doesnt he just forgive humans for their sins?
he doesnt need to complicate everything why go through all the trouble to create jesus just to make him suffer for eternity even tho he dindu nuffin

He needed the image of sin (his humanity) to be judged on the cross, to my understanding. But he was sinless.

Also in the sacrifice being Christ the blood and water that came out from his side has double function: the blood (like the blood on the doorframes during the passover) protects from judgment and cleans sin, and the ('living') water nourishes, regenerates, and brings life.

>Since he's in heaven doesn't that imply that sinners can still go to heaven?
they can, that's the purpose
the wages of sin is death
your death is not enough to absolve your sins completely, but the death of the son of God is another matter
you just have to take advantage of that saving grace; how that's done varies from one Christian sect to the next, but usually it's baptism or a ritual of "confirmation" (which I don't know much about), and if it's not baptism it's usually a ritual acceptance of and apology for your personal sins along with accepting that Jesus is your salvation-- and those mental elements go along with baptism or confirmation in sects not focused on baptism
that's how the thinking goes anyway

I forgot about this. I learned about it from studying Byzantine art.

He went to Hell kick ass and come back. Thats how our priest told us, he had flaming sword and everything

>God, the creator of hell """"escaped"""" from hell
couldn't have been all that difficult

He put a backdoor in its coding.

If God can make a substance that cleanses sin then why did he need Jesus? Why not just cleanse the sin?

>I'm often told that the reason Jesus had to come to Earth and die for our sins was because someone had to pay the penalty for breaking God's law

That's Penal Substitution, which is a Protestant misunderstanding of Augustine, Anselm, etc.

Jesus had to fulfill certain conditions for it to be a viable sacrifice. Why are there those conditions? I suppose to offer the choice. You have to 'clean the temple' so God will inhabit it.

This actually makes some sense.

>satan's face when god breaks his own rules just for the lulz

So what the correct interpretation?

no one truly knows, its a very closely guarded secrit.

What's even funnier is that Satan basically defeated himself by causing man to ingest sin, and then sinful man sacrificing Jesus by not recognising he was the son of God.

the best part is that god created satan in the first place

I wouldn't say that there is necessarily one correct interpretation, but the idea of Christ acting as a step-in for humanity in receiving God's wrath is a really Protestant belief (though it certainly isn't one shared by all Protestants, it's very common to find Baptists and other evangelicals with this sort of view) and I would object to it since it messes up the relationship between the Father and the Son. Personally I think St. Anselm makes sense.

newadvent.org/cathen/02055a.htm

This is a decent (though brief and from a Western perspective) overview of ideas surrounding Atonement from the Catholic Encyclopedia written in the early 1900s. Eastern views are going to have different emphases.

>Catholics
>Christian
>any denomination that buys the Hell meme
>Christian
For fuck's sake people, read the Bible.

Jesus Christ, read the Bible. No one here help him, please.

what makes the Bible a reliable document

What makes the tora a viable document? Or the Qur'an? Hell, or even Anne Franks diary? You tell me, retard.

Even if you live an upstanding moral life and/or accept jesus as your saviour

>Catholics
>Christian
pick one

>That's why he's called the Lamb of God.
I always thought this was funny, since Leviticus is quite clear that lambs as sin offerings are supposed to be female, not male.

That would make more sense, in my opinion. That way, it's an actual sacrifice, rather than an inconvenience.

Because this is Hell and he was here already

Penal substitution doctrine is bullshit and not Christianity.

what on earth does that have to do with its reliability?

is the twilight series a reliable document too?

Yes to the last one

But Jesus is god, user

Do you understand what they mean by "copies" when talking about ancient texts or are you just one of those 19 year old fedora core atheists trying to fit in with the cool kids who smokemon the quad?

just look up for Jesus Victor theology
not that "penalty" "God incapable of breaking justice" and other "spiritual capitalist" bullshit
Jesus' sacrifice has the power to cure us from diseases of our corrupt nature, and to reunite us with Father. That's it. His death and ressurection was a victory over powers of sin, not some "barter of souls".

Maybe Jesus was a tranny?