I'll keep us out of the war guys, vote for me!

>I'll keep us out of the war guys, vote for me!
>Okay, so we actually are going to join the war, thanks for voting for me though!
>I'm sure these great powers, who have just endured the bloodiest conflict they have ever endured and can now only see red, will listen to my ideas about being gentle towards their defeated foe!
>O-okay... I'm glad we could help!
>Thanks for letting us fight for you!

What the fuck did he think was going to happen?

reminder that if people had actually listened to wilson ww2 wouldnt have happened

Wilson was completely right and if people had only listened WW2 would have been prevented.

Elaborate?

I blame the British for the US's involvement in world war 1.

Basically everything Wilson proposed in his 14 points has become the foundation of the post WW2 international order.

-Collective Security
-Self Determination/transitioning colonialism into self rule
-Freedom of the Seas
-Free & equal trade insomuch as possible through the the dismantling of unfair trade barriers
-an Intergovernmental body to facilitate peaceful mediation & diplomacy

The biggest exception was that Wilson wanted all sides to peaceably disarm and reduce military expenditures to as little as possible necessary to keep the peace.

We should have intervened on behalf of the Central Powers. Take all British/French territory in the Western Hemisphere, including Canada.

Reminder that if people listened to Romney's warnings about Russia which Obama laughed at him for, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

Wilson just like Romney was still ineffectual and weak, and it's why people didn't listen to either of them.

FDR got shit done and did it with the people's support. It's pointless to be a visionary if you can't actually convince people to believe you.

>The biggest exception was that Wilson wanted all sides to peaceably disarm and reduce military expenditures to as little as possible necessary to keep the peace.

Well, he might have wanted that for Europe, but he wanted pretty much the exact opposite for the US. Wilson consistently pushed for major expansions of the US navy, during and after WW1. Pic-related is a model of a proposed battleship design that the Wilson administration heavily advocated for, much larger than any previous battleship design that the US had built up to that point.

Wilson's plan was to leverage America's dominant financial & industrial position over the rest of the allies to force them to accept his way. It probably would have worked too if the war didn't end so suddenly before America could fully subordinate the France & Britain to total dependency.

The war ended so suddenly because the US jumped in too early.

Wilson didn't choose for Germany to send the Zimmerman Telegram or resume unrestricted submarine warfare.

>FDR got shit done
you mean being bootlicker of Uncle Joe?

It might've worked better if America actually listened to Wilson, he got BTFO by congress and then his party lost the next presidential election. US didn't even join the League of Nations.

well, at least he wasn't commie loving Roosevelt

No, he was just a bank lover. Pretty much the same thing.

what situation is that exactly?

Equivalent to Mao and Stalin.
>Germans warn him not to send boats into submarine waters since Brits disguise their vessels as neutral and sink surfacing German subs
>He does anyway
>100 Americans die
>He realizes this is an oppertunity
>Germany asks him to end the blockade so they can get food and stop sub warfare but he says no
>Instead arms merchant vessels with US Navy
>Sends them into sub waters to die
>4 boats of US Navymen are intentionally sent to sink by Woodrow before he thinks it's okay to declare war
>Germany offers to end subwarfare and endure mass starvation if you don't enter
>Does anyway to secure money invested in the Commonwealth and France and to gain power on the global stage
>Makes it literally illegal to say you disagree with his decision and arrests 175,000 Americans for not agreeing with WWI verbally
What the FUCK was his problem????

>The President has personal control over every single merchant vessel belonging to an American

If Romney had fought half as hard against Obama in 2012 as he did against Trump in 2016 he would have won lmao.

He couldn't have prevented every incidence of sending boats into submarine waters, no, but he could have at least heavily advised/recommended legislation against it and say "well it was their own damn fault" if anyone was idiotic enough to still do it.

Elaborate on Romney's warning.

You serious? He was pushing for war way earlier already. Mexico and submarines was just a useful tool for him to convince the public.

I know Germaboos have a very hard time comprehending this, but you can't just sink ships belonging to a neutral country without provoking a negative reaction. The US economy depended on transatlantic trade, and it wasn't going to just stop because the Kaiser said so.

Theodore Roosevelt calls Wilson the worst president we have ever had.
Let that sink in.

>Sedation act of 1918
Learned something new about Woodrow Wilson today that has made me dislike him even more.
Ironically Teddy Roosevelt felt that Woodrow Wilson should of gotten involved in the great war sooner to prevent the after math from becoming to messy. I think Teddy was right about that one sometimes.

He's referencing Seth Rich leaking DNC documents and the media scrambling to cover up Obama's illegally spying on Bernie, Jeb, Trump, Christie, Cruz, etc by saying it's okay because literally everyone who wasn't Hillary in the 2016 election was a Russian agent.

Romney had no special insight into the geopolitical situation of Russia just as McCain doesn't, they're both stuck in a combination of hysteria leftover form the Cold War and steely determination to get the pipeline through Syria built.

Said pipeline will cut off Russia's crucial export (Oil to the EU) by instead allowing Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey to pump America-aligned oil right into the heart of Europe thereby excluding Iran and Russia from their biggest markets. And, y'know, crashing their economies. This is why Trump's refusal to go into Syria effectively neutralized Russia as a threat to the US as Putin literally has to do whatever Trump tells him to or Trump just kicks Assad out of power and watches from Trump Tower as Russia burns to the ground overnight.

Sounds familliar.
Why?

During the 2012 campaign, he stated that Russia was still our #1 geopolitical foe and Obama and the media mocked him for it saying he was stuck in the Cold War. Then Putin would go on to annex Crimea and Ukraine and meddle in elections and now the left is in full blown McCarthyism mode.

Also for some bonus irony, Romneycare in Massachusetts was basically the blueprint for Obamacare.

Funny how that works.

How come someone can be simultaneously so consistently based on domestic policy issues but so consistently moronic on foreign policy issues as Teddy Roosevelt? If the guy had a dovish foreign policy he'd easily be my top president, no question.

There was no difference between pre-WWII foreign and domestic policy in our country, they were the same thing. The whole world was our Domestic.

Roosevelt was, first and foremost, a practitioner of realpolitik.

Teddy was right though. If the US enters WW1 very early on, the Germans surrender right then and there. The Germans weren't so delusional to believe that they could actually win if the US joins the Allies, but as it was, the US joined so late in the conflict that they were completely terrified of what the U.K. and France would do to them after such a bloody costly war so they had to stay committed.

Wilson entered at possibly the absolute worst time. To early to wield proper financial leverage over France and Britain, and too late to expect France and Britain to be reasonable in a peace negotiation.

You just based this entire post off of the assumption that there isn't anything wrong with Germany sinking civilian ships indiscriminately. If you sink ships and kill people expect whichever country those ships came from to be a bit pissed off

Britain was in the wrong for disguising their Navy as civilian ships to sink German subs. There was no alternative other than getting sunk by the British.

I know the Eternal Anglo will have a very hard time comprehending this, But you cant just sneak small arms munitions on ships.
(even worse civilian ships) Without provoking a negative reaction from a country your at war with.

Woodrow Wilson and FDR were both the greatest unacknowledged Machiavellian supervillains of the 20th century.

As much as I despise Wilsonian foreign policy (both the liberal interventionists and neoconservatives) and their social and political programs I really do admire the way they were able to lie, lead, cheat, and manipulate the United States into becoming the most powerful country in the history of the species.

I had a history teacher with portraits of all the presidents in his room but hung Wilson's upside down. He hated Wilson for what he did in the past but also when he was younger his visited Wilsons grave and when he went to take a picture he dropped his camera and broke it. This led to a life long hatred of the man.

LITERALLY

NOTHING

WRONG

>I had a history teacher with portraits of all the presidents in his room but hung Wilson's upside down.

Seriously? Does Wilson trigger people that much? He was inarguably vital to making America the world power that it is today, and if people had only listened to him, WW2 would have completely averted.

>making America the world power that it is today
>not a mistake

Because Woodrow refused to involve himself in the war sooner to end everything quickly.
(Though teddy was a bit of a warmonger)

>He was inarguably vital to making America the world power that it is today
Probably the most evil act of the past 200 years.

Nigger even us AMERICANS don't want to be the world power we are today.

Teddy's vision would have been far better for literally everyone.

How can you illegally spy on someone? Its fucking spying. There are no hard and fast rules.

Teddy wanted the US to get involved in WW1 more than Wilson did you twit. His entire political persona was based on American exceptionalism and our obligation to bestow our greatness to the rest of world.

>A country with 11+1 nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and over 250 additional warships doesn't WANT to be a world power

What? Are you guys retarded? Why would you not want to be the top dog?

Because we get blamed for everything

Heavy is the head that wears the crown