Opinions on Sabaton?

I am a fan of metal, and a huge history buff. Because of this, I was naturally drawn to a band like sabaton, which combines the two perfectly. Because of my passion of this band, I wanted to ask other history fans about their opinions of the band, or, if you haven't heard of sabaton, introduce you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rntRDqpaY2g
youtu.be/YqEBW0QPxQQ
youtu.be/Bp1ShTaNfO8
youtu.be/TvChSZBKb6A
youtube.com/watch?v=pxPSygSH2v0
youtube.com/watch?v=TIlMNKY3RxI
youtube.com/watch?v=l2vOQkspBRI
youtube.com/watch?v=FpCzEkugYRo
youtube.com/watch?v=QtPx6WdNM30
youtube.com/watch?v=FuMjmQMZu5A
youtu.be/iijKLHCQw5o
youtu.be/1FJmiyFD6PM
youtube.com/watch?v=yc7oj8t3l0M
youtube.com/watch?v=4-fBDS8uJmc
youtube.com/watch?v=2bmJmsXoNxU
youtube.com/watch?v=UDIH0xnE0fM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they're ok, i like their lyrics but they are slightly cheesy.

>slightly cheesy
This, plus they cater mostly to teenagers and people that don't know much about history, or music.

Metal is dubstep tier cringe.

Absolutely terrible. Their lyrics are unbearably cheesy, and that's saying something for a genre where a big part of the appeal is the cheese. I think a huge part of it is the fact that they're a Swedish band, their grasp of the english language is very minimal and so all of their lyricism comes off as something written by an 8 year old boy after watching a bunch of war movies. There's just absolutely no style or tact to it.
Musically they're absolutely boring too. Very little guitar solos going on in any of their stuff and the riffs are insanely bland and anemic. I'm honestly having a very hard time remembering any melodic or rhythmic sections from any of their songs, even their iconic Ghost Division. It's no surprise then why they master their albums the way they do. The entire instrumentation is ridiculously subdued beneath the absolutely worthless vocals of their talentless vocalist.

The entire appeal of metal is the impassioned cheesiness combined with memorable, catchy melodies and energetic playing. Sabaton is the complete polar opposite of that.

Metal is greasy neckbeard tier music.
Sabaton is fedora wewuz tier metal.
Do the math.

Pretty fun, they're accessible and a good springboard for getting interested in some historical events.

They're sort of a musical equivalent to Sharpe or The Last Kingdom

I like it,some times you need chessiness in your live.

I wish I had the musical culture, and the level of English, and the intelligence to express my artistic judgment as well as you do. You are absolutely right on the idea that as non native English speakers, they must have a harder time writing good lyrics, this is why I am favorable to singing in one's original language. Although, to be fair : native English speaking artists also produce uninspired lyrics (especially in Rap, Pop and R'n'B), so maybe English isn't a good language to base profound lyrics upon.

I love em, yeah they're cheesy, and they might not always be accurate, but they are breddy good.
All these dudes saying that they're cringey, sure they are at times, but it's all in good fun and there's no need to be so butthurt about something like fucking power metal lmao

this

it's shitty superficial crap

they find what invokes the most tribalistic and nationalistic urges in people, and exploit it with empty money-driven shit music

it also doesn't make much sense them doing nationalistic music, because they're no doubt cucks and all the westerners that listen to them have no problem letting in non-white hordes. dude they're just as [ethnic identity] as me lmao

Their music is kinda samey. Their thing is the mostly one chord minor key melodies that hang around the dominant. you can pretty much construct any sabaton song by chugging along on a D5 chord and noodling melodies on the notes A, G, Bb, and occasionally C.

Fun, if cheesy, music, as is typical of their genre.

Honestly I feel like I'm conditioned to like them because they play in EU4 and HOI4. I have a good time playing the games while simultaneously listening to their music, I started liking them as well.

I've noticed this happening to other video game music too, for example I really enjoy Moonlight Sonata because it's played in RE1 at one point

>The entire appeal of metal is the impassioned cheesiness combined with memorable, catchy melodies and energetic playing.
Metal genre went way beyond that tbqh

I accidentally a word there, meant to say power metal, but didn't bother correcting myself since I wasn't expecting anyone to give a shit really.

Whilst I do enjoy the occasional song from them (Hell and Back, Ghost Division) their music is very bland, and they can't do emotion very well (just listen to Gallipoli holy shit). People really do give them a pass because of the subject matter and how nonabrasive they are.

Regardless, listen to what you enjoy, and don't let the opinions of faggots (such as myself) on a Congolese knitting collective influence you.

They released an album in Swedish a couple of years ago. Some of the songs became drinking anthems that most guys could sing along to. Really comfy. It kinda created a nice patriotic atmosphere that we don't get to feel very often in this country.

Perfect for me

They jerk off countries like Poland too much

MY PENIS POP
MY PENIS POP
MY PE- NIS WO! POP
PENISA POP A POPOP
PEPENIS IS A POPOP
POPAPENIS IS APEN -- IS!
PINESAPENISAPENISAPEN!!
AND THAT PEN IS A PENIS! BOP

>I really enjoy Moonlight Sonata because it's played in RE1 at one point
Haha, I know what you mean. Don't believe that though, because the Moonlight Sonata is objectively a masterpiece and you would have liked it regardless.

Sabaton makes youth get more into history, it's fine

this

Yes.

Is it autistic if I started learning Swedish because of Sabaton?

I've got one of these, they're shit.

Cringeworthy

I like some of their songs. Are they amazing? No. I find them entertaining and fun when playing vidya. M&T2 game as Sweden us going pretty well.

Yes it is considering they sing in English.

I like it because of the simplicity of iTunes I don't get on my Android phone
This, battlefield 1 + sabaton is the best combo
I was gonna learn a language anyway but I chose Swedish because A it's easy and B carolus rex is also in swedish

Fair enough user

It's shit tier, poppy, overproduced power """metal""" and isn't worth your time or anyone elses.

It's meh music, but it's fun and catchy. They bring a bit of attention on historical events that might not be well known and staying relatively accurate in what they say (as much as anyone could be while writing power metal lyrics)

I'm alright with anything that makes History more accessible, honestly. And from the few interviews I've seen from them, they seem like decent guys.

Amon Amarth is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=rntRDqpaY2g

OP, you gotta stop listening to metal. Hip Hop, progressive rock and electronic music is where it is at. That is what true patricians listen to.

youtu.be/YqEBW0QPxQQ
youtu.be/Bp1ShTaNfO8
youtu.be/TvChSZBKb6A

is that way

>posts the most memeprog band
>hip hop
Fuck off, retard.

Pop metal for people who don't listen to metal. If you want good power metal listen to Blind Guardian, Rhapsody or Galneryus.

I prefer Sabaton's cover of Twilight of The Thunder Gods tbqh.

Like all historical media, I have no problem with it as it will encourage people to learn more about topics. For example, I didn't know anything about Brazil's participation in WW2 until I listened to Smoking Snakes and started to learn more about it. Same with the history of the Swedish Empire: it's not something burgers ever learn about.
Regardless, power metal is fun. It's cheesy and stupid at times, but that's part of the draw, sometimes.

Any decent powerl metal that isn't derivative tolkienschlock besides Gamma Ray?

Now, what are Veeky Forums's opinions on this playlist? Who should I add?
Accept
Alestorm
Amorphis
Angra
Astral Doors
Avantasia
Battle Beast
Black Majesty
Blind Guardian
Brainstorm
Brendon Small
Civil War
Crystal Eyes
Dark Moor
Dio
Dionysus
DragonForce
Dream Evil
Edguy
Emerald Sun
Excalion
Freedom Call
GALNERYUS
Gamma Ray
Gloryhammer
Grand Magus
Hammerfall
Heavenly
Heidevolk
Helloween
Hibria
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Iron Mask
Iron Savior
Jorn Lande
Kamelot
Keldian
Korpiklaani
Lost Horizon
Magic Kingdom
Manowar
Masterplan
Orden Ogan
Powerwolf
Pyramaze
Rhapsody of Fire
Running Wild
Sabaton
Saxon
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Theocracy
Turisas
Twilight Force
Twilightning
Unisonic
Viper

Labyrinth, Heavenly

What's the most woke band and why is it Primordial?
youtube.com/watch?v=pxPSygSH2v0

Gravedigger, try for their reingold album which is based on the classical play/opera and Excalibur.

>this much shit taste

Thy majestie Jeanne d'arc album

Yes

If you like Romans you should check out Ex Deo and Monolith Death Cult

thanks to whoever posted this in a thread about William Kidd sometime ago, this band is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=TIlMNKY3RxI

Gae Bolg you daft cunt
youtube.com/watch?v=l2vOQkspBRI
youtube.com/watch?v=FpCzEkugYRo

I speak Swedish and it's a shit language, don't bother

>Rhapsody of Fire
Mah cigga

This. Learn Japanese if you actually want to open yourself up to more interesting popular music.
youtube.com/watch?v=QtPx6WdNM30

One hit wonder. Primo Victora is a good song, but the album it is in is complete bum bum.

>playing EU4 and HOI4
>liking sabaton
Fucking Jesus h Christ why are people as pleb as you allowed on this website

Ex deo is the kind of sore throat yelling i never liked in metal but they sing about things i like so i bring myself to listen to them every so often.

I just think it would be far more enjoyable with a melody to the vocals, that they had more emotion than THAT, if not because Roman history is, well, ROMANTIC, and very dramatic and human instead of gutural and primal like death metal, then because their instruments get boring when the trumpets and chants aren't on.

I like the themes of their music, but melodically I think it kind of falls flat.

Perhaps Mastodon?
youtube.com/watch?v=FuMjmQMZu5A

>tfw the only japanese music i listen to is garage rock that's in broken (english) anyway

Lemurias "Chanson de la Croisade", a concept album about the Albigensian Crusade.
Best song without a doubt is 'The Slaughter of Innocence'

>I think a huge part of it is the fact that they're a Swedish band, their grasp of the english language is very minimal
Most Swedes have a near-native level grasp of English

Eluveitie if your a Celtiboo.
youtu.be/iijKLHCQw5o

Corvus Corax also has a cool medieval thing going on.
youtu.be/1FJmiyFD6PM

I enjoy them from time to time, but I find that their lyrics really don't do a good job covering the specific event (which granted, would probably be hard to do and still make a compelling song, but that's the entire point of their band, so they don't get a pass.)
I feel sorry for the idiots in their youtube comment sections that say they learn more from the songs than their history classes. Maybe they should take some Ritalin and learn to pay attention.

Scandinavian speak better English than Londoners and Yanks desu.

You're examples of prog rock and hip hop are shit.

Sabaton is cool in my opinion, cheesy but cool. "Price of a Mile" really goes well with their style, I think, and is probably my favorite of their songs (Art of War being my favorite album of theirs, Carolus rex started out stronger but the second half was trash, desu). However, as far as WW1 songs go, I still like Iron Maiden' "Paschendale" better.

>t. Meek Mills

THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED

Pretty light desu, perfect for people that can't handle the more extreme forms of metal.

People call them cheesy, I like them a lot. Good band, good music. Fite me.

Not a fan but I saw them at a festival once. Pretty entertaining fun lads, nothing more. I'm not really a metal guy anymore tho.

Negura Bunget.

Rome you fucker. It's the only band really worth listening to when it comes to history.

They do realize that you're allowed to make good music and have it be about history, right? Iron Maiden does everything they do a billion times better.

As a swede, i must say i like their songs in swedish alot more than in english

A new and under the radar band you should check out is Visigoth
youtube.com/watch?v=yc7oj8t3l0M

If you are above 15 and listen to sabaton kill yourself
Its literally music for edgelords and people who don't know about history

Completrly non-Veeky Forums related, but

>Devin Townsend
>Gojira
>Septicflesh (listen to Sangreal)
>Insomnium
>Wintersun

I think Paschendale is a very good point of comparison of just how unwieldy Sabaton are with their wordplay.

It's a shame Bruce Dickinson didn't contribute all that much to the songwriting in Iron Maiden. The man is absolutely brilliant and the two albums he wrote during his departure rival their best material.
youtube.com/watch?v=4-fBDS8uJmc
youtube.com/watch?v=2bmJmsXoNxU

My fav band but I know my taste is poor so I won't defend them

Completely off-board but Dickinson >>> IM. Tyranny of Souls is absolutely great

youtube.com/watch?v=UDIH0xnE0fM

Great live performances tbqh

MEIOU & Taxes is cool ok?

>Sabaton makes nationalistic music.
What band have you been listening to? It sure isn't Sabaton. Sabaton is just the musical equivalent of looking up historical happenings on wikipedia. Sure it might be fun but if you're looking for real value you'd be better of looking elsewhere.

But that's heresy!

Keep GALNERYUS, Dio, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius and go ahead and throw the rest in the garbage.

>they find what invokes the most tribalistic and nationalistic urges in people, and exploit it with empty money-driven shit music
This. It's too obvious that they really don't give a shit about any of the subjects they make songs about. It's just whatever they think is the most popular happening in the nation they are targeting at the moment.
They are not nationalists, they are just taking advantage of dumb nationalists

Black Sabbath senpai

EU is a good introduction to historical strategy games for people who are afraid of hexmaps and detailed OOBs.

Shitty

This

The lyrics are supposedly better in Swedish, they don't seem to be fully proficient in English, leading to the cheesy lyrics and odd expression choices

>Most Swedes have a near-native level grasp of English
It's clearly not enough. Git gud snowniggers

As a metal fan and a PhD student in history I have to tell you that the band is complete and utter garbage.