Cultural Revolution

Why did Mao start the Cultural Revolution, and how much history was lost to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/alan-badiou_cultural-_revolution_.pdf
travelchinaguide.com/tourism/2016statistics/inbound.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He was afraid that He might be treated like Stalin after his death.

He had lost his power after the embarrassing Chinese famine in which tens of millions of people died. He wanted to get it back. So he wrestled his authority back by fucking over his own government and destroying China for two decades.

>how much history was lost to it?

Incalculable. There's a reason nobody considers China a historical site to visit for tourism reasons in the same way as places like Egypt or Greece.

>There's a reason nobody considers China a historical site to visit for tourism reasons in the same way as places like Egypt or Greece.
Because the Chinese always made the majority of their buildings out of wood, even the important ones.

Wait, if he lost power, how was he able to kickstart something like it? Wouldn't people just be like "Lol fuck off" if he lost power?

china just ended a 300 rule from foreigners on their country, a rebellion occured leaving another 30 million killed just a few decades ago, they just waged a defensive war against Japan. There is a sense of wanting peace even if its horrible I'd imagine

Mao moved China closer to real communism.
Stalin wasn't bad but he was never the intellectual Mao was.

Mao's experiment in decentralized popular mass communism is excellent evidence that communism works.

People claim that the cultural revolution was a disaster.

They claim China destroyed history.
False, numerous archaeological sites such as Mawangdui were discovered and preserved and peasants were educated on how to identify historical relics if they were to come across them in the field.

They claim science and learning was destroyed.
False, China sent its first space satellite and created high yield hybrid rice. While building schools in rural areas.

They claim the economy was a disaster.
Yet, growth rates were higher then than in the reform era. Rural areas actually had growth rather than decline as they do now.

Sources:
Mr. Science and Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution : science and technology in modern China / edited by Chunjuan Nancy Wei and Darryl E. Brock.

The battle for China's past : Mao and the Cultural Revolution / Mobo Gao.

The Unknown Cultural Revolution
Life and Change in a Chinese Village / Dongping Han

If you go to rural China you will find it is these people who (according to wealthy Chinese urban elite expatriates and Western scholars who have never been to rural China) are supposedly his victims, who are most supportive of Mao and the cultural revolution and hate the reforms.

The Cultural Revolution was done primarily by frenzied students operating under the implication that they'd be given a good life in the CCP if they complied. It spiraled out of control from there.

The blood on Mao's hands as far as the Cultural Revolution is concerned isn't like that on Stalin's. Stalin willingly chose who to mass murder. Mao bumped off the big wigs and let the students and peasants kill everyone else, occasionally coming down from on high to fan the flames because "lol revolution".

He would have let it continue if he hadn't alienated basically everyone to the point where people outright threatened to murder him if he didn't tell the students to stop.

How many people died in the Cultural Revolutiom?

Not that guy, but no one is really sure. Most estimates I've seen are between 1-2 million

Chinese culture is a roadblock to creating a deveoped/communist society

[spoiler]He was right, but the execution was flawed. Ask any Chinaman, and they'd say that the Chinese mindset is toxic

I am legit disheartened Stalinism still has a 50 cent army and that someone unironicaly claims Mao moved China closer to communism.

>Kill everybody
>No more class struggle
Equality achieved checkmate capitalist

>how was he able to kickstart something like it?

It's the equivalent of the Pope ordering a crusade against the Italian government. He had a lot of residual love and support from the people.

Wait are you arguing that the Cultural Revolution was a good thing? You know millions died right?

>Incalculable
More like overrated.

At most, the ones that were destroyed were small-ass ancestral village temples and a few Buddhist monasteries. If anything, the Buddhists bore the brunt of the CR. Not that it seemed to work considering China still has folk religion and has the world's largest population of Buddhists.

And then you have shit like the fact that the not everyone in the CCP liked the CR and its destructive shit. Zhou Enlai defending the Forbidden City by putting troops around it, and major discoveries into Han, Qin, and Warring States period China.

>There's a reason nobody considers China a historical site to visit for tourism reasons in the same way as places like Egypt or Greece.
Because China is a meme scary commie country that is still developing-country-tier and has a shit sense of PR.

If anything, there's a lot of interesting places to see in small towns and inner cities rather than the meme Great Wall/Forbidden City/Old-Town shit.

itt: Lmaoist gone wild

he lost some power but wasn't out of government altogether, just took a step back to let deng xiaoping and liu shaoqi run the show. then he cultivated an alternate powerbase in the PLA and then the students. the PLA powerbase made him powerful again and the students were the agends that kicked everything off.

>1-2 million

People always stay this to shit up communism. It really at the end of the day, how many billions has capitialism/capatalist ideas killed over the centuries? That includes most of the wars fought which were basically wars over resources and hence profit. Over class struggle.

Kind of makes you think.

The difference is that the only efficient part of Communism is the innocent killing bit.

from what I have read, it was pretty based.
>people publicly denounce corrupt party members
>anti-elitist
>localized power
>rural revival
>growing economy

A rural Trump voter's wet dream

>holocaust denial , gulag denial, and now this

man theres fanboys out there for every sick fuck in history

A while ago there was a thread where someone argued that most people (especially those who believe in extremist political theories) care more about aesthetics than ideology, and I find myself agreeing with that more and more every day.

Pol Pot was not a communist.

Really? Because Khmer Rouge literally means Red Khmer. Red as in Communist Red.

From what I learned, the GPCR was the result of a number of things:

>Mao's thesis and belief in continuous revolution
>GLF exposed corruption in PLA cadre bureaucracy
>paranoia of counter-revolutionary influences in culture

The revolutionary significance of culture actually kind of predates Mao in the May 4th Movement: the most prominent example was the abandonment of Classical Chinese for vernacular Chinese based on the notion that traditional Chinese culture was holding China back in the modern era.

My professor was a bit of an optimist though. I'm much more wary and cynical, and I'm sure, as others in the thread have said, it was a great way for Mao to maintain control, check rivals, and keep being relevant. Even my professor conceded that Mao was a hunted man for some 20 years during his adult life, so it's no surprise he would be "a little warped."

>[spoiler]He was right, but the execution was flawed. Ask any Chinaman, and they'd say that the Chinese mindset is toxic[/spoiler]

The fuck-rude kill-or-be-killed mentality that communists created in China stands in start contrast to the courtesy and civility the Confucians engendered.

I heard that the officially collected documents are surprisingly objective, even with the obvious bias. For the alternative view Mobo Gao is usually the one to go. Although Gao is obviously too biased towards the GPCR.

There's a text by an ex-Maoist about some political philosophy lessons anyone can take from the GPCR. One of them is, (surprise surprise) giving power to a multitude of overzealous youth gangs and delinquents will not end pretty well, despite the initial sincerity and good intentions. The GPCR literally kills the essentialist idea that young students are - the - agent of change.
mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/alan-badiou_cultural-_revolution_.pdf

This. China has no continuation of his own history and culture. They all just LARP. Their monasteries have no tradition longer than 60 years beyond the building. Their literature, their family structure, their decision making process, their view on life, their beloved martial arts. They all started after the cultural revolution, with the old main people of culture like monks, village elders and intellectual like teachers dead or reeducated, they have no connection to their own past.

This is also why they behave like heartless cheating brutes. They have no higher values or morales like taught by the Confucianism, a whole generation grew up without respect for their elders and theit culture. Modern China has a history of 60 years and have less right to claim the China of pre 1910 as their than Somalis claiming Sweden.

Maoism became a religion practically people treated his words like gods. Then god says fuck shit up. What dyou do?

I wouldn't take it that far. The West doesn't exactly adhere to their ancestors life styles and tradition either. Japan likewise washed away it's culture in favor of a Western outlook.

Capitalism does not willingly kill its own people like that. It does not believe generally of state made social engineering. Also abolution of liberty and himan rights is not worth communisms possible upsides.

I like how the Cultural Revolution was actually still going on at the time that Nixon opened relations with China.

You forgot Nanking denial, 731 denial and comfort women denial.

>China has no continuation of his own history and culture. They all just LARP.
Oh sure, fuck you,too!

I think you just LARP as human because you're actually self-righteous subhuman. Can you even read or speak a single Chinese?

t:Chinese and not LARP.

Nice argument

Traditions like the spring festival and ancestor worship...etc were NEVER stopped since ancient times, moreover, modern Chinese characters(including simplified Chinese) can still direct trace back oracle bone scripts, sorry to let you down, subhuman.

>Modern China has a history of 60 years and have less right to claim the China of pre 1910 as their than Somalis claiming Sweden.

I think they have far more rights to claim China than modern Greeks claiming Greece or modern Americans claiming America.

Somebody got butthurt

>China has no continuation of his own history and culture.
I disagree.

Maligning past regimes while glorifying in their triumphs is a *very* Chinese thing.

>modern Americans claiming America.
What did he mean by this

what the fuck did i just read

People who think culture is an unchanging and eternal thing.

Ever heard of the native Americans?

Not Americans?

While i would support Mao in his earlier years, the cultural revolution was a mistake. I'd probably say countless amounts of history was lost, and while I can understand their idea of wanting to forget about their imperialist history, they could have at least chucked their stuff in a museum or sold it to other countries to make profits to help their people as opposed to destroy it.

>Why did Mao start the Cultural Revolution
Because he was about to get BTFO by the party for being the most incompetent human alive and he said lol teenagers go kill all my political rivals

I once watched a Chinese movie made during the cultural revolution. It was pretty amusing to watch them praise Mao and fight the professors who didn't want to teach peasents about plants or some shit. It's available in archive.org if anyone is interested.

Was it the Red Detachment of Women?

Breaking With Old Ideas.

A fucking mango!

Not an expert but my understanding was that it grew organically in the universities and then Mao stepped in to legitimize it and pour gasoline on the fire because he was butthurt about being marginalized.

On the topic of Chinese Culture, I can never quite get what the West wants from China although I guess that goes to tell more that there isn't a consensus.

Some like to blame 'Confucian Culture' for all of China's ills including underdevelopment. Problem is, so did a lot of Leftists including the CCP and then they set out to expunge traditional culture which much of the West agrees is terrible. There's also a weird theory of how this has permanently fucked over Chinese mentality to the point we now have the ill manners and sociopathy that China has become well-known for. Not sure how much of that can be traced back to Communism though since India has a free society and all that other memes and yet it poos in the loo and other countries which have been under Communism haven't gain quite the reputation Chinese tourist have.

One thing I do agree with them is that the Cultural Revolution was a huge fuck-up and I count it as another disaster in the Century of Humiliation. For me, the Century wasn't just the Europeans coming in and kicking ass too easily it was also the CCP coming to power and fucking things up badly.

to what extent was 'confucian culture' the standard among the commoners/peasantry before the revolution? how has the change been expressed on the streets and in the villages, so to speak?

Very little history was "destroyed".

travelchinaguide.com/tourism/2016statistics/inbound.htm
>China inbound tourism maintained a steady growth in the first half of 2016. About 67.87 million foreigners visited China, a 3.8% rise over the same period of the previous year. Overnight visitors also showed an increase of 4.3% to 28.87 million. The corresponding income increased to USD 57 billion, an increase by 5.3% over the same period of 2015. Below is the specific statistics:

[Citations needed]

If this was true, why do so many still use traditional medicines and worship 6-armed cave gods.