When did you start believing in God again?

When did you start believing in God again?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tara_(Ireland)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are unironic sperge lords the Nietzschean ubermenschen of OUR time?

I think you mean gods in which case, when I raided Christcuck monasteries and took all their shit

where did you find this pic of me

t. James 'Thorsbjorn' Smith

First year of uni, went full Orthodox, with the fasting and all. I spent two years studying various religions, especially the Abrahamic ones and decided to become a Catholic for rationalistic rasons, but in the last minute, I've felt a mystical, powerful and unexplainable calling toward Orthodoxy and went with it.

>tfw when you let your reason become the slave of your passion

what else is new with theists?

when the pink laser hit

when I was too much of a coward & brainlet to overcome nihilism..

I never did. But I view christianity and christians with great respect now, and visit churches whenever I travel somewhere.

When I realised that philosophy and science can't answer fundamental questions.

It's so fucking lame when people become religious by studying and picking which one "makes the most sense" or whatever. If you're going by what makes sense and is the most rational, you should be a fucking material reductionist or something. It's why converts are always extra fanatical. If you weren't born into it you're basically LARPing

was raised catholic and went pantheist.

That happens with teenagers and middle age crisis people. And they are mostly neither zealous nor sincere. What you fail to see are the people who converted because of some unique event that transcended the profane, like the self-sacrificial actions of a priest, or the beauty of a church or sermon.

College freshman year

When I realised I could become a pedo and get the protection of one of the most influential and richest organizations in the world.

When the thought of total annihilation of my conscious mind became too unbearable, I decided willing ignorance was the only way to stave off the unfathomable sadness.

i imagine that if i develop alzheimer's there could come a time when I'm transported back to the mindset of when I was a teenager and the fears of hell return. perhaps then I may believe in God again, or at least I'll go back to the madness of my freshman year of high school where I would lie awake at night worrying that if I slipped up and allowed myself to think "God does not exist" a demon would take over my body.

The older I get, the more I hate the idea of god. I'm past thirty and have never had any significant challenge to this view, so it's fair to say that I'm not changing. Even and especially in the case that god(s) actually existed, it would be necessary to /reject/ him.

This post is nice in that it (probably not intending to do so to read it, but it ends up doing it, all the same) implicitly shows that there are no valid reasons to be religious. The post correctly points out the disingenuous nature of "shopping" for religion, but at the same time, being accidentally born into a religion and "just going with it" is no better either, though the post suggests that it is.

There's nothing the least bit wrong with this. The idea is infinitely more humane than hell, for example - which is why, despite the adherents being stupid people who ruin the lives of their issue, I nevertheless like the doctrine of annihilationism as espoused by the jehovah's witnesses. Ironically, and along similar lines to the above, the witnesses are however not at all praiseworthy for believing this doctrine; rather, they are simply following their interpretation of a book.

agreed

When that water hit my forehead and the Holy Ghost was in me.

When I beheld the Almighty Glourie of the Amazing Dildoni.

>fundamental questions
Like?

according to icycalm and the nrx blogosphere, yes

Like am I the only cognisant being and is all I see an illusory projection of my own consciousness? Don't even try to tell me that science or philosophy can answer this, you will look stupid.

when I saw that picture, even though he is a fat antisocial piece of shit he doesn't give a fuck, it is proof of the divinity of the soul

I didn't

No the question is whether the only cognisant being is ME

Why do you assume you are a cognisant being?

A better question is why do you assume I am?

Why aren't you talking about me? I am the only being that is certainly cognisant

You can joke, but you can't prove or disprove it.

I don't have to prove anything to you, you have to prove your consciousness to me. Your metaphysical considerations tied to solipsism are irrelevant because you wouldn't be the cognisant being, that is me.

That's no joke friend. You could be an automaton put through the motions of thinking, and thus be under the illusion that you are cognisant without ever experiencing an unguided thought.

>can't win real battles
>have to raid monasteries

Pathetic

>muh vikings never won any battles meme

>settlements

Oh yeah, Christians are so charitous, they just gave them their land

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tara_(Ireland)

Our God is the God of your gods.

why fight a fair fight when you can exploit the weak links?

other way around sweetie

You will burn for your heresy
There is only one God, all others are false idols

I'm not sure I believe in God, but I'm certainly not the edgy fedoratheist I used to be.

This is partly from growing up, but also partly from reading a lot of writers who were and are religious, and watching Jordan Peterson's lectures.

Wrong, you will burn for your heresy
There are only the Norse gods, all others are false idols

I agree that Vikings are no better than any other raiders morally speaking, but they are fucking cool with an interesting mythology

>mythology
When will autists stop caring about this?

>IF IT AINT MY RELIGION ITS AUTISTIC AND FEDORA
When will you stop caring about whatever bullshit you're into?

>when will people stop caring about good literature
Probably never.

Woah, don't speed out on us. We're trying to have a civil conversation here.

>mythology
>good literature
You're being sarcastic, right?

You're right, I'm pretty mad. I'll chill out. Thanks friend.

Origin.
Purpose.
Meaning.
Destiny.

You can bullshit yourself all you want, but without a transcendent answer to the above, you're just kidding yourself that you're an animal, created from exploding gases that came from nowhere.

>you're just kidding yourself that you're an animal, created from exploding gases that came from nowhere

DUDE ALLAH LMAO

Raised Catholic, learned about Eastern traditions thanks to martial arts.
Read the Qu'ran to be able to properly participate in the religious debate.
Read about more religions.
Learn their history and see that their historical claims are all lies, no exceptions.
Not interested in metaphysical nonsense wrapped up in historical lies.
Turn my back on religion, started blogging, studying physics, discover Hitchens and now label myself as an anti-theist

Religion is an opium, an drug that doesn't lets you know how weird you're actually acting.

The world continues when you're unconscious.
We can test this using the scientific method if you want, just let me knock your lights out.

You're extremely fucking stupid.

Once I stopped drinking.

Should you mix wine with watermelon?

holy shit is this me?

on the miraculous chance the author of this screenshot sees this, hmu sometime if you're ever in canada. we shall be bros everlasting.

you're me?

after I fucked up my life and ruined everything.

What an inconsiderate asshole

When I found out Redditors tend to be atheist.
Turns out I never gave a fuck about reason. It was an in-crowd thing.

While I'm a pretty firm believer that nothing happens when you die, I disagree with the idea that complete destruction is more humane than hell or whatever afterlife people believe in. My hell would be the total annihilation of my conscious mind. I understand where you're coming from, I think to be nothing is probably a very comforting thought to some people, no more worries and no more people bothering you, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. To be nothing... it's too final.

I share your fear of nothingness, but I am too stubborn to go back to religion. Committing to a faith to stave off sadness used to appeal to me, but it scares me now. I'd be, as you described it, willingly ignorant. To me it's just as bad as becoming nothing, because I'd be numbing my real emotions instead of facing the facts (or possible facts, idk, "nobody knows, nobody can no, so it's pointless to talk about.")

I think I tried going back in middle or high school because I wanted comfort/have a fear of becoming nothing after death, but I couldn't make myself believe in it. Then something really bad happened to my best friend and I decided if there is a real god who is all powerful, he's a dick. If he's not a dick and he "does everything for a reason," or is the great watch maker kind of god then I'm sure he's smart enough to understand my anger and disbelief and forgive me.

>we shall be bros everlasting.

We already are.

The Bombing of Dresden. God does Punish Evil People.

Never.
Following a religion that isn't a part of your families tradition is just LARPing, e.g it's edgy as fuck.

same, good thing I stored my self out

He started off with about fifty corny jokes, just to show us what a regular guy he was. Very big deal. Then he started telling us how he was never ashamed, when he was in some kind of trouble or something, to get right down his knees and pray to God. He told us we should always pray to God—talk to Him and all—wherever we were. He told us we ought to think of Jesus as our buddy and all. He said he talked to Jesus all the time. Even when he was driving his car. That killed me. I just see the big phony bastard shifting into first gear and asking Jesus to send him a few more stiffs.

Can't remember ever believing in God.
Why should I start now? Convince me.

When I became so miserable that I needed someone all powerful to beg help from, even though it won't come.

>Conversion
>Edgy

It's only edgy if you say you're a member of the faith and then don't practice and adhere to ritual. Your way would have us all still being rude animists.

While I wouldn't go quite as far as , I must for myself say that I support the religion I was brought up with, even if I'm not a believer as such.

So my answer to OP would be...I didn't. But I lost my teenage atheism, so I guess that counts for something?

my nigga

Hollywood.

People forget where they got their information from, but the precept is still there.

They get what they glorify.
Listen to death metal, don't be surprised when death shows up.

Like watching women get raped? Don't be surprised when you get butt raped.

What comes around, goes around.

This picture is funny because it's true.

The greatest part of all is that the viking will still be seen justified for "reasons", even though the "blacks" have their reasons too.

The irony in this is that everyone is wrong.

Glorify shit, get shit. Justice is served nerd. Hates their own because of different environmental factors that caused them to be that way, but will hypocritically defend other people who have similar behavior.

The worst kind of person. I love x and y, but hate z even though all the letters are from the same alphabet.

You learn how environment, social factors, and income can play a role in a person's psychology, but when it happens irl, you people get retarded as shit.

I don't even know why I bothered reading that bullshit.

when i started seeing Allah's word as the truth.

may you unbelievers take your profane belongings to hell with you

>tfw I believe in God, but do not believe in the Bible
>tfw I believe that God create everything, but he is cool enough to leave us alone
>tfw I believe he will do nothing if we destroy Earth, destroy ourselves

I would prefer to believe in God but I struggle to reconcile Satan's actions with his punishment

Non serviam

underrated

>my God can beat up your gods

>When did you start believing in God again?

Hopefully never.

So you just worship the big bang?

>Not understanding the meaning of the prime mover

kys brainlet

"the prime mover" is a meme
its means you know you are wrong, but won't admit it

>If you aren't a foaming-at-the-mouth evangelical you're just an atheist in denial

When will this meme die?

I experienced senseless personal tragedy, which demonstrated that Nietzschean ubermensch ideals didn't amount to squat, and showed me no man's will or ideals are an adequate barrier against the destructive force of nihilism. As I lay there at night muttering, "it don't matter, none of this matters", over and over again, it suddenly occurred to me that in a world where nothing matters the logic and "reason" I had used to kill God and construct my prison of nihilism didn't matter either, and could be safely put aside.

At which point the walls of my prison crumbled, and God revivified Himself before my eyes.

I would say the fanaticism comes less from a belief in the new and more of a hatred from the old. It's why there's such a stereotype about religious people falling off the wagon and basically becoming hedonistic hellions to distance themselves from their old life.

so feefees>reals?

When I read the Iliad

*tip*

*collapses into a million sects*

*tip*

*schisms*