Two part question

Two part question.

First, how did the Ku Klux Klan become so damn popular outside of Dixie? Despite starting life as a Southern institution, the Klan had chapters from Oregon to Maine and everywhere betwixt. Indeed, the Klan was never more powerful than it was in Indiana in the '20s where one in three white men was a member, half the General Assembly were members, and virtually no local politician in the state could get elected without a Klan endorsement.

Second, why is the Ku Klux Klan in specific, and racism in general, labeled as a southern problem? Liberals across the west coast and Yankeedom proclaim in all seriousness "we just aren't like that here" and write off racism as a problem strictly for southern rednecks. The deep south is forced to consider and reconsider its vile history of racism half a century after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, but whites in Chicago, Boston, and other major northern cities aren't written off as "a bunch of racists."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot
youwereliedtoabout.com/nbf.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Ku_Klux_Klan_in_New_Jersey
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>the North fought the Covil War to end slavery

LMAOing at you rn

>how did the Ku Klux Klan become so damn popular outside of Dixie?
Klan died and was reborn in the 1910's, no longer focused on dismantling reconstruction-era southern governments, but instead adopting anti-Catholicism as more and more Catholic European immigrants started coming to the US. This broadens their appeal from strictly southerners to people in Midwestern and East Coast big cities who have to deal with the European immigrants.

There is a false impression that the South, or rather the Southern people are more racist, though the inner cities of the North have insured this isn't quite true however to answer your 2nd question: During the Civil Rights Movements of the 60s, Southern states were the last to desegregate, they were also the states with the most push-back. Although racism was still widespread in Yankeedom, it wasn't excepted as easily in regular society. There's video somewhere of a Pennsylvannia suburb where a black was moving in and whites were complaining that their property values would go down, and even some eluded to the potential for shady activity that the black family could attract...that being said, the people in said video seemed a little reluctant to share those views, some who didn't seem to say much clearly didn't care for it...in the South those same people would have had no problem saying those things. Another thing is the stereotype that "the south is more racist" is derived from a time when it actually was, Chicago, Boston, New York burroughs, etc. weren't the shitholes that are associated with black communities that they are now...in other words, the North has less exposure to blacks at the time and opinions on blacks were less sharp. There's also the obvious connections of the South with the confederacy and the original formation of the KKK.

>First, how did the Ku Klux Klan become so damn popular outside of Dixie?

Racists tend to come out of the woodwork whenever there's a new wave of immigration. In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a wave of migration of Italians, Poles, and Jews from Europe to the USA, mostly the north. The reborn KKK directed a lot of focus against them.

Thugs, muscle and assassins for the Democrat party. The Dixiecrat party, if you will.

The more people interact with blacks the more racist against them they are. It's really that simple.

I never said "civil war" anywhere in my post.

I live in a house with four of them plus my mulatto daughter. I interact almost exclusively with blacks, and I've yet to experience this racism via familiarity that /pol/acks insist happens to every white man in a black neighborhood.

Democrats promoted, just like BLM nowadays.

You must be a woman.

To prevent stuff like this

>The 1967 Detroit riot, also known as the 12th Street riot, was a violent public disorder that turned into a civil disturbance in Detroit, Michigan. It began in the early morning hours of Sunday, July 23, 1967. The precipitating event was a police raid of an unlicensed, after-hours bar then known as a blind pig, just north of the corner of 12th Street (today Rosa Parks Boulevard) and Clairmount Avenue on the city's Near West Side. Police confrontations with patrons and observers on the street evolved into one of the deadliest and most destructive riots in the history of the United States, lasting five days and surpassing the violence and property destruction of Detroit's 1943 race riot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

Most primitive cultures respect and avoid mentally ill people.

Just a guy that fell in love with someone. Race had little to do with it.

>First, how did the Ku Klux Klan become so damn popular outside of Dixie? Despite starting life as a Southern institution, the Klan had chapters from Oregon to Maine and everywhere betwixt. Indeed, the Klan was never more powerful than it was in Indiana in the '20s where one in three white men was a member, half the General Assembly were members, and virtually no local politician in the state could get elected without a Klan endorsement.

Four words: Birth of a Nation. Literally the first example of a movie fandom that went retard.

>Second, why is the Ku Klux Klan in specific, and racism in general, labeled as a southern problem? Liberals across the west coast and Yankeedom proclaim in all seriousness "we just aren't like that here" and write off racism as a problem strictly for southern rednecks. The deep south is forced to consider and reconsider its vile history of racism half a century after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, but whites in Chicago, Boston, and other major northern cities aren't written off as "a bunch of racists."

>expecting Northerners to not hypocritical sacks of shit

wew lad

There's a greentext somewhere on /pol/ that actually gives a fairly accurate summary of the Three Klans, I'll look through the archives to find it.

Please do! The popular image of the Klan we have today is the klan of the 50s and 60s that fought civil rights, but it's my understanding that they had a tiny fraction of their former membership by then and were a shadow of their former self. The older Klan was so mainstream, a Klansman was more likely to find himself organizing a bake sale for the chapter treasurer than he was to be committing acts of arson and terrorism.

>1st Klan

A dumb fraternity that got way out of hand. Wound up turning into a loose coalition of ex-Confederate soldiers, run-of-the-mill criminals, and Democrats looking to muscle their way back into power when they weren't killing each other that is. Some chapters even supposedly took in Native Americans and freedmen who sided with their former masters (I'll leave the citation below). Their sole unifying influence was a hatred of the U.S. Government, Northerners, and Reconstruction (American handling of Reconstruction was even more bungled than Iraq if you can believe it).

>2nd Klan

Definitely closer to the Klan we all know and love/hate today. Jump-started after the release of Birth of a Nation, although they dropped the Yankee-bashing and took up Jew/Catholic/immigrant-bashing to broaden appeal. This fanboyism that got so way out of hand even the author of the Clansman, the book that Birth of a Nation is based on, Thomas Dixon Jr., was horrified at the new Klan (he specifically disliked the fact they were anti-Semitic, which the 1st Klan wasn't). This Klan was by far, the most successful of the three and even extended into the North (Detroit had 40,000 members). This Klan largely fizzled out because of the Great Depression. A little strange, considering they were more popular than the Nazis at their height, and the Nazis managed to capitalize on the Great Depression to seize power.

>3rd Klan

Basically Civil Rights-era butthurt. Not much to say about them. Weren't very popular, and even less successful. Pretty much useful idiots the FBI used as their secret hit squad against Civil Rights advocates.

>4th Klan?

Supposedly all the Klan chapters are being reunited but who knows?

article on the Klan that isn't just mindless Yankee bullshit

youwereliedtoabout.com/nbf.htm

Citation

(Elaine Frantz Parsons, "Midnight Rangers: Costume and Performance in the Reconstruction-Era Ku Klux Klan". Journal of American History 92.3 (2005): page 816).

>Pretty much useful idiots the FBI used as their secret hit squad against Civil Rights advocates.
That's ironic considering the number the FBI did on the Klan.

>trying to write a description of the KKK without mentioning their shared hatred of blacks even once

What a bunch of revisionist garbage. It's like trying to write about the Nazis while leaving out their antisemitism.

The Alphabet Agencies are some of the most perfidious things put on the earth, even more perfidious than the Eternal Anglo

>marrying a nigger ever
Top kuk

I took it as quite the opposite. It's so obvious, it'd be like giving a quick blurb on some point about the Nazis, and throwing in (they hated Jews, btw).

I'll just be over here enjoying my fantastic marriage with a lower statistical chance of divorce than white+white couples.

do you have/plan on having children? how does it make you feel that they will likely identify as black and resent their white heritage?

>I'll just be over here enjoying my fantastic marriage with a lower statistical chance of divorce than white+white couples.

Shit, is the risk of divorce that important to you? You must be an awful partner to spend one's life with.

We have an adorable daughter, and I don't give a shit.

After going through my parents' divorce, yeah it's kind of important to me. That's what my dad gets for marrying another white. He got it together though. My Mexican step-mom is a lovely woman.

>I don't give a shit.
>That's what my dad gets for marrying another white.

why do you hate white people so much?

Because they started shitposting first.

So basically you're saying that you're entirely illiterate, got it. Did your mom wrote that comment for you?

Don't believe you

It was in a thread where /pol/ was discussing the origins of the Klan. Nathan had already mentioned their use of violence to intimidate former slaves who voted Republican/voted at all. He also spend several posts explaining how the Klan's greatest strength (decentralization) was also its greatest weakness since it could not coordinate a genuine resistance movement in the manner of the partisans of Nazi-occupied Europe. He was just TL;DRing it all into one post.

That post is also literally at the character limit, I actually had to delete a couple of words to make it fit.

Church Committee would say otherwise.

Basically, COINTELPRO was a two part false flag operation. The Feds would aggressively encourage KKK and other white supremacist groups to violently intimidate or kill Civil Rights activists (something the FBI could not do themselves, despite more or less regarding them as enemies of the state), in the case of the Greensboro massacre, actually arming them. The Feds would then use the attacks as the pretext for a crackdown on KKK groups directly involved.

Bingo

Anti-immigration prejudice was widespread everywhere just as it is today.

Because it was created, and most prevalent in the south?

Thanks for the clarification.

So basically like how in recent years they've stopped numerous Muslim domestic terrorists from carrying out plots they set up said Muslims to carry out in the first place?

Pretty much, except they usually let them carry out the act first because they were bumping off another political opponent. Killing two birds with one stone, literally.

I thought of the most Yankee state I could I googled it to see if there's klan history there. It apparently warrants its own Wikipedia article.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Ku_Klux_Klan_in_New_Jersey