Cool archaeological mysteries that have yet to be solved

tfw you realize they haven't found Achilles' tomb yet

Other urls found in this thread:

ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/secret-tomb-first-chinese-emperor-remains-unopened-treasure-002568
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burial_places_of_biblical_figures
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Jesus
courses.csail.mit.edu/iap/khipu/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_architecture
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440313002689
youtube.com/watch?v=eayome8veOI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baltic_Origins_of_Homer's_Epic_Tales
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilleion_(Troad)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this motherfucker's tomb STILL hasn't been opened

legend has it that it's apparently loaded with traps, like small rivers of mercury and crossbows.

idk man, i hope it gets opened in my lifetime because i'm dying to know what kind of shit could be in there

Hasn't it been opened? Wasn't that the one with the terracotta statues?

Yeah nigga, they've uncovered most of the statues but the chinese gov is preventing anyone from opening it atm, largely out of fear that we aren't really prepared to do it

ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/secret-tomb-first-chinese-emperor-remains-unopened-treasure-002568

we NEED the technology

ptolemy gib body!!!

His tomb COMPLEX has been opened.

His actual TOMB, as in, where his corpse is, is still sealed. I frankly don't blame the Chinks for doing it. It'd be a political nightmare no matter what happens, it's almost guaranteed to be booby trapped, it's filled with mercury, and it's a sealed environment so opening it will make everything fall apart and decay super fucking quickly.

Pretty fucking cool actually, probably the closest we'll get to real life Indiana Jones

Where are the bodies of Mark Anthony and Cleopatra.
The last words of Einstein
Did Tito kill Stalin?
Where is the body of Muhammad?
Where is the body of Ghengis Khan?
Did Dick Cheney pat Bush on the head or give him a treat whenever he did what he was told?
What information was lost when the library of Alexander burned?
What information was lost when the Library of Baghdad was sacked?
What did the government take from Tesla's safe when he died?
And many more

wtf is the Voynich manuscript

as well as Gilgamesh and Moses and Abraham and ...

literally just autistic fictional world building

>What information was lost when the library of Alexander burned?
It still hurts...

Tell me about it, the feels are right up there with 1453 for me

Many of these are disputed, as mentioned:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burial_places_of_biblical_figures

Most notably:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Jesus

>2017
>not realizing that Jesus was Caesarion

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Jesus
All possibilities are complete bullshit. Besides, [spoiler]Jesus rose from the dead.[/spoiler]

Also,
>final resting place of Jesus
>Japan
lel

I think its funny/horrifying how much ancient/medieval texts were destroyed in massive library fires...Alexandria (twice), Library of Antioch, Contantinople Imperial library, Mayan cordices, House of Wisdom,

Our entire world would be completely unrecognizable based on that knowledge and information. It would probably be a far better world too.

that buried city in Peru

>we still don't know what Leonardo da Vinci looked liked
I need to know what his hair and eye color was so I can properly identify with him.

>According to the Sawaguchi family's claims, Jesus Christ did not die on the cross at Golgotha. Instead his brother, Isukiri, [this is a Japanese corruption of Jesus' name, kinda like saying his brother was also called J.C.] took his place on the cross, while Jesus fled across Siberia to Mutsu Province, in northern Japan. Once in Japan, he became a rice farmer, married, and raised a family with three daughters near what is now Shingō. While in Japan, it is asserted that he traveled, learned, and eventually died at the age of 106. His body was exposed on a hilltop for four years. According to the customs of the time, Jesus' bones were collected, bundled, and buried in the mound purported to be the grave of Jesus Christ. Another mound near the alleged grave of Jesus is said to contain an ear of the brother of Jesus and a lock of hair from Mary, the mother of Jesus, the only relics of his family Jesus could carry when he fled Judaea.

It's not even /x/, it's straight up comedy

Aren't all religions more or less comedy? In the Mormon faith, a tribe of ancient Israelites came to America 600 years before Christ. And after Jesus' resurrection, according to the Book of Mormon, he visited America.

Or those Incan rope things that they used....the name is escaping me. But the Spanish essentially burned them all

Fair point. According to local Catholic traditions, Mary must've visited every shitty fucking town from Portugal to India, several of which are claimed to be her final resting place. That'd be the living Mary, not even talking about Marian apparitions.

I want to know.

This, basically scholars thought that the Inca did not have a written language until they realized that it was all in the ropes
courses.csail.mit.edu/iap/khipu/

What a tweeest

Why did they have to choose ropes of all? Scratching wood boards are way easier.

Idk ask a modern Peruvian

Those remains of a big neolithic battleground from 7000 BC found somewhere in Baltic. A bunch of cavemen travelled there from various parts of Europe to fight and no one knows why.

>neolithic
>cavemen

Never heard of it actually sounds interesting, what is the name of the battle site?

>tfw you realize the sarcophagus of Alexander has disappeared from history and never been found

Almost as if it vanished into godly air

source?

My bad i got the date wrong, it's Bronze Age and it was around 1250 BC.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense

Missed by just 6000 years, it's all goood, famalama

lmao

I remember reading about it when it came out first, then i kinda forgot the details except that it was some big battle that happened long ago in the middle of nowhere.

Did the Trojan War actually take place on the Baltic coast?

Didn't a crack-pot write a book how he was sure that the events of the heroric age took place on coasts of the Baltic on account of the described geography not matching the Aegean and 'battles lasting throught the night' being more feasible in the Nordic summers? Like, I distinctly remember the map in the book, but I can't recall the name of the book.

My gf is Japanese and has informed me that, not only is the Jesus in Aomori thing well known, it's also widely accepted as fact because the people from that region 'speak different sounding Japanese.'

Who were they?

Is Quetzacoatl's description of a feathered snake just a viking vessel?
How much knowledge has been lost due to fires or censorship? How advanced were people really?
Who was the first person to suck on a cow titties and, after having massive diharrea, opted to do it again?
Where is the body of Uegsugi Kenshin?
How did the Inca manage to make them stone cutting?

haven't they narrowed it down? Italians or something I believe.

>How did the Inca manage to make them stone cutting?
care to elaborate?

I just want to know about the pyramids, then I can die happy.

I think he was talking about this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_architecture

> DNA from teeth suggests some warriors are related to modern southern Europeans and others to people living in modern-day Poland and Scandinavia.

What part of Southern Europe?

Where do you find charts like this?
(No hostility, wanna see more)

If I was a billionaire i would buy up a bunch of land in the middle of the U.S.A. and just dedicate it to building replicas of ancient architecture like pyramids, Incan walls, stonehenge, parthenon etc. I would just want people to actually get enough funding and material to reverse engineer how ancients built all this stuff and if it can be done by regular people without modern equipment.

Why would I think that you were being hostile?

This is he article:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440313002689

>how ancients built all this stuff and if it can be done by regular people without modern equipment.
There was a brilliant BBC documentary on this, but with castles, where they were building it completely by hand, using only medieval techniques.

youtube.com/watch?v=eayome8veOI

If you thought I was ridiculing it, as in:
>where in all hell could one possibly dig up such a ridiculous chart

>youtube.com/watch?v=eayome8veOI

Neat!

Where is the site of Attila's capital?

Consensus is somewhere bear the danube or hungary, but nothing has ever been found

>Imagine just walking through the steppe one day and you trip on a pile of rocks. Then you look closer and realize its the tomb of the great khan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baltic_Origins_of_Homer's_Epic_Tales

Is this it? I've recently gotten really interested in the Trojan war, even began reading the Iliad and other shit about it. This sounds pretty heckling interesting.

>horned helmets
OBVIOUSLY FUCKING VIKINGS

They claim they have found Achilles tomb near Troy in Anatolia. When I went there there was a tumulus in a farmers field on the top of a hill which is claimed to be the tomb of Achilles about half a km or a little more from the city ruins. When Alexander the Great came he apparently dug up the tumulus and took his shield and put it at the vanguard of his army.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilleion_(Troad)

Not necessarily a mystery but I hope that in my lifetime the science archos will figure out a way to comprehensively date rock art
>would literally solve all of the major questions in Australian archaeology

The fuck is that

Balkan shits think things like they invented all of the greatest technologies, the aeneas story is real oh by the way he was Balkan so they claim the Roman Empire as well.

>you will never read ancient, in some cases 4000 year old esoteric knowledge in PDF format supplied to the public realm by Library of Alexandria that survived through the eras

IT FUCKING HURTS

Wouldn't the shield have deteriorated over the 1000 years?

Maybe an intentional piece of propaganda on alexanders part possibly had someone plant it there. I think it is mentioned in Arian that it was a medusa shield which was always at the front of the army.

summer is set in stone now, OLEE SHIET