Newfag here

Hey biz, I'm thinking about opening up a toiletry business and I'm unsure about something. If I buy something like colgate toothpaste and then try to sell it at an upcharge is that illegal because I'm selling somebody else's product?

I'm new to this so any help will be much appreciated. Any general questions on starting a business can be posted here as well.

>toiletry
POO

>If I buy something like colgate toothpaste and then try to sell it at an upcharge is that illegal because I'm selling somebody else's product?
Are you fucking retarded?

Yes I actually am, I genuinely don't know the answer to the question.

Me as well,curious for the answer

>Is buying something for cheap and selling it for more illegal
>Is running a profitable business and doing what every other business on the fucking planet aims to do illegal

Lmao don't quit your fucking day job

you are a bad person user
9/10 tho seems believable

Okay but I don't know if they sign some contract or shit like that. Are you really just allowed to sell copyrighted products without getting permission from the company?

Are you a moron, honestly? I literally do not understand what you're asking because it's so stupid.

YES, THE POINT OF A BUSINESS IS TO MAKE MONEY. THAT IS IT. If you want to be a "good person", and maintain your scruples, then DONT GO INTO BUSINESS. The people want what you're selling, then they'll pay, you're providing them with something...

What do you think supermarkets are doing, you fucking invalid? Are they selling at a loss? Are they purposefully selling for cheaper than they paid?

Jesus Christ, you are stupid. What a waste of time typing this

that's exactly what amazon does

Yes, user. Sole Trader Joe Bloggs running his market stall is in talks with the big boys at Colgate discussing contracts for his 20 units he shifts a month

Fuck me, the "sucker born everyday" thing isn't a meme, is it?

Lol dude, I'm just asking questions. I've never even considered this stuff because I've never started a business.

Again, I'm just trying to make sure there's no contract I need to sign.

you should consult a biznazz legal guy instead of Veeky Forums

In Britain this is actually illegal for many goods including almost anything that comes in a multipack.

Dude, read a fucking book. I knew this shit when I was 9 years old. You're fucking retarded. It's literally the most basic level of understanding

No, it's not illegal to do so. The manufacturers do that to deter businesses from doing it, but many still do. Go to any corner shop and they all sell multi pack shit, or they all sell items for more than the price listed, and it's not illegal. Stop talking shit

You can make a complaint, probably, but nothing will come of it.

>tfw you could be this retarded and become rich in the sixties

Yes, it is illegal.

Let's sum it up this way: if a company decides their product has a set value (RRP - recommended retail price) it is that MAXIMUM price which it MUST be either sold at or exchanged for equivalent goods.

Consider summer sales; have you ever seen a store INCREASE the price of an item because it's coming into fashion? Answer: no, because they were already trying to SELL it at the MAXIMUM RRP. So they have sales to get rid of merchandise and get in new items to sell at the RRP.

Fair trade and competition laws forbid selling another entity's product at an upcharge, e.g. if you sold Colgate toothpaste in your toiletry store above the RRP on the package.

well what if i buy colgate from a wholesaler or supplier below the rrp and sold it for the regular cvs price or whatever as a private retailer?

jesus do they teach you fucking retards anything in school these days?

Lol no, sounds like you're a eurofag.

Companies don't have some limitless control over their products' retail price. Now, they may contract with you to only sell at or below a certain price, but that's their private agreement. If someone else picks up a product they can sell it for whatever they please.

No they don't

I may be a "eurofag" but I understand basic competition laws and regulation of markets unlike you.

Retail price in the United States (which I assume you are from) is dependent on various factors which limit exchange of setback assets, not unlike the stock market. For example, if you sell a tube of Colgate toothpaste in a toiletry store at a price higher than the asset origin price, the margin is subject to corporate and capital gains tax (determined by the state broker in which the asset origin is registered). Failing to be compliant with these laws is a clear breach of trade laws and therefore, yes, it is illegal.