Most people unironically think all Greco-Roman buildings and statues were left unpainted

>most people unironically think all Greco-Roman buildings and statues were left unpainted

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uJLXyBzMci0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>most people

Isn't this like the "whales are actually mammals!" type of trivia?
As in, something that was a fun fact 30 years ago, but by now everyone knows?

no, i assure you most of people remotely interested in greco-roman history think this and a lot of movies and documentaries leave the buildings in white aswell

To be perfectly honest, I study ancient history and have to constantly remind myself that that is the case. The pure white marble is such a strong meme though.

I guess it's like finding warhammer models a thousand years from now and wondering why they were all grey...

I never got that. Since I started being interested in history, I always assumed it was a given everything was much more colorful and what we'd call kitsch today.
Of course people who are poor (and everyone was, even kings, by today's standards), they'd try to create an air of wealth to present themselves.

>Since I started being interested in history,

That must be very recent considering the rest of your post.

As a student of archeology, this

Thats a very hot and spicy opinion that you forgot to back up.

If it was a well published fact, they wouldn't.
Don't blame people for not knowing, blame the people who do know but don't shove the fact down their throat like paleontologists do with dino feathers.

But most people don't know the chicken-shaped dinosaurs had feathers. They still think they were like grass lizards.

literally could be fixed with a footnote in school history books
>HIS-TERYCAL: Roman buildings were actually painted in rich colors and not left in boring white !

Why bother with marble if they painted over it? Why not just use whatever usable stone happens to be nearby?

Same thing with Cathedrals.

Try drawing on piss colored canvas, it doesn't come out as well as on white.

those statues were painted? disgusting.

That's kind of obnoxious in a beautiful way.

>yfw all your hard painstaking work on the paint job for nothing

Gonna dump some image lads

It's so aesthetic

Paint and coloration may not seem much for a modern human who's used to see colors and paint everywhere. But for a premodern human, paint and color was actually a big fucking thing, incredibly expensive and really hard to get in large quantities.

Why are their willies so small lmao

is that copying egyptian art styles?

Yeah, but not by amateurs.
It looks like shit because its poorly done. Except for the bow.

How does it copy Egypt?

Meant for

The figures are the top of the picture
look like they are stylized like Egyptian people/figures....with the way theiry standing and the one on the far right even looks like Horus or something

It looks better in white though

>Of course people who are poor (and everyone was, even kings, by today's standards

What now?

How come they let Cathedrals lose their paint though? I mean the Catholic Church has had non-stop control of the things so why did they stop repainting them?

Its typical Roman grotesque fresco, though not surprising if it really was Egyptian influenced

Yeah, it's weird, maybe just the general taste changed and they removed the paint?

Massive expenses?

yeah but they only painted one side you know

wouldn't they be really creepy lit by fire light?

i mean to Greeks it be like the gods where literally watching them and to the Romans long dead emperors would be staring you down practically in the flesh

Restored based on particle found in the marble.
Looks like that Joffrey kid from GoT desu?

Still a lot of people unironically think that the statues were painted as crappily as in reconstructions.

A master sculptor probably didn't have his creations painted by a modern archaeologist having a go at it.

I mean the equivalent of a modern archaeologist etc.

Possibly they painted it more in this manner.

Yes that's a sculpture.

is it clay?

because that would be damn near impossible with stone

There is evidnce they clothed them, I wouldn't think it beyond the realms of possibility they would use real hair for trying to make super realistic gods?

so is it possible a lot of nude statues weren't nude at all when it came to public display?

>itt: autistic screeching

the greek meme of heroic nudity was explicit in every art form, sporting events, religious ceremonies etc so it's doubtful the statues would be clothed

they couldn't even afford to finish building most cathedrals

I suspect the advent of protestantism brought about the change. I mean they were going to churches tearing down everything and much of the critique of catholic church was about its extravagance in wasting the faithfuls' money.

There are also clothed statues. As in, they were sculpted clothed.

Most cathedrals took centuries to build and were only finished relatively recently. Do you think they would've had money to maintain the paint?

Proof on that? Why do you think the ancient Romans would have been advanced in painting?

I had no idea the cover for this was a real fresco
youtube.com/watch?v=uJLXyBzMci0
btw, this is Synaulia, a project to restore roman instruments and make what they think would be roman music

Pretty cool

have you been looking at any of the pictures in this thread? They were fantastic painters, its been 2000 years and their frescoes still look amazing

Needs Agrax earthshade or some nuln oil.

>Most

Some*

Most were built over a decade or so.