Why did we stop exploring space? Was it really just a Cold War craze?

Why did we stop exploring space? Was it really just a Cold War craze?

Other urls found in this thread:

stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2014/07/magnificent-desolation-apollo-rocket.html
youtube.com/watch?v=OJDZq-rlyTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Turns out there's nothing up there of interest.

But really we haven't stopped, we've just stopped sending people up because they're squish and inferior to machines.

we havenĀ“t really, the Voyagers are reaching the outskirts of the solar system right now

but muh space colonization and shiet

>potential resources in asteroids
>not worth it

Because we now use satellites and dune buggies

What the fuck are we to do in space honestly

>Turns out there's nothing up there of interest.

Google Helium-3 isotopes.

minerals, then colonization in the long run

For that you need rockets and spacecraft ulike we will have for another century, possibly never

Space Race was a CIA plot for the Soviet Union to waste all their resources on pointless shit while their economy suffers, which worked.

Research is more funding than time-based, and isn't marketable to poor people. Which politician would be more electable to the general population, some guy who wants to increase spending on space programs or some guy who's willing to expand social security/welfare benefits?

True but think about it, imagine the kind of rocket it would take to bring minerals and materials from space to earth in large quantities, imagine the amount of fuel it would burn up to do that, you literally need to create a new propelant whose efficency is unimaginable right now, and as of colonisation, colonise what, every potentionally colonisable planet is so far away it would take way too much time to reach for it to make sense to try in the firstplace

>posting this literally a day after NASA announces a new mission to the Sun

kek

Nigga just send genetically modified grass and cockroach en masse on mars or the moon to create an ecosystem who will in turn release gas and create an atmosphere. Then they will be colonizable.

Easy.

Actually, considering New Zealand just entered the space race with a 3D printed rocket I would say this opens up new opportunities for space exploration now that we can build rockets at a much cheaper price. Golden era of space exploration, when?

>For that you need rockets and spacecraft ulike we will have for another century, possibly never

Thanks Nostradamus, can you tell NASA?

how are they going to land stuff om the sun?

Easy, gravity will guide you right in.

I think nasa is well aware of that

Americans got bored of their toys and stopped caring.

Because idiots in governments signed some international treaty in 60s forbidding to commercially exploit moon and other planets. Where there is no capital and private interest there is no progress - with the exception of wars of course. Trump must rescind this fucking treaty like he did with Paris protocols.

>Kamarov knew the spacecraft was faulty and accpeted the flight knowing if he refused Gargarin would be sent instead, before the flight he insisted on an open casket so the Soviet leadership would be forced to see what they had done

fuck

There's a mars mission being planned right now though. Do you people live in a shell?

>how are they going to land stuff om the sun?
They go at night when it's cool.

Make the spacecraft out of gas so it can't be melted.

It costs a shitton of money to send just 1 kg of mats up to space. not to mention the lack of evidence you have to suggest such a folly would even work.

Resources in space aren't being gathered for most of the same reasons that everyone hasn't moved to Detroit even though a house only costs 500 dollars.

It's being done in unmanned means like probes and telescopes in an adequate scale.

Personally I'd be more thrilled in finding large trans-Uranian dwarf planets than some another Moon landing by, for example, Chinese. Mars landing would be nice, I guess, but the one-way ticket method is lazy.

There are niggers in space?

it was just a dick measuring contest that culminated with USA faking the moon landing

It's mostly black, and we have yet to confirm any existence of intelligent life.

CUZ THE WORLD IS FLAT, WE WILL NEVER GO TO MARS OR HAVE COLONIES OR HAVE REAL SCI FI SPACE SHIPS, THE FUTURE IS LIKE NOW BUT MORE HORRIBLE WITH MUSLIMS, MENTALLY ILL LIBERALS AND SHITSKINS, ENJOY

Its not that hard in theory, you just have to warm Mars poles, then change the atmosphere composition so it becomes able to house life but of course its not that easy in practice.

I don't know man those cockroaches might grow to be 8 feet tall and intelligent.

>Why did we stop exploring space?

The massive expansion of welfare with LBJ's "Great Society" killed space exploration and the colonization of Mars.

Enjoy the extinction of Humanity because we pissed away our money on niggers...

"The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket
for the human race to keep all its eggs in."
--Robert A. Heinlein--

chuckled lad

>went instead of his friend while expecting to die
F

It was basically a game of who has a bigger dick between the U.S and the U.S.S.R. And to see if their was any immediate energy/weapons that they could use against the other.

>Gagarin died shortly after

Literally because of blacks. They chimped out about not getting enough gibzmedat and "whitey on the moon".

stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2014/07/magnificent-desolation-apollo-rocket.html

youtube.com/watch?v=OJDZq-rlyTI

ah, yes, the "dem darkies and women folk killed muh space program" posters.

>0.5%

REEEEEEEEE

Put more money in
I want to take part in the inevitable space civil war
Or atleast go to space and start a farm or mine space rocks or something

Anything please

A lot of USAF funding goes towards space tech.

Fun answer: They saw Gundam and worried about establishing colonies that would start a space war.

Real answer: The shuttle program was a bloated mess that literally ruined everything and killed all enthusiasm, and politicians are too cowardly to risk more astronauts who absolutely know the risks but sign up anyway.

Put things there that you can drop on people you don't like, mine minerals, and establish colonies to ensure the survival of mankind beyond earth disasters.

>that >hungry
Fucking feed your children before yourself, nogs never change and never will.

It's true.

Because the cost/benefit ratio is like trillions to one
>inb4 16 year old futurists start yapping about some asteroid mining machine or lunar resort Elon Musk is trying to get funding for

You guys are retarded. Once you get out of the solar system, the technology required, time to travel, and expense required becomes insane. Unless we discover new ways to manipulate the laws of physics, it's literally impossible to explore space in a viable way.

No one ever said anything about intergalactic exploration, autismo.

>he doesn't want to be the first country to put a flag on the sun

Are you aware of how fucking far away any asteroid is at any given moment?

It doesn't matter that it's huge, unimaginably abundant quantities; if we can't get it and bring it back without spending more than those resources will be worth, it's not viable. When propulsion techniques and atmospheric re-entry are easier to manage and less expensive, then it'll be a different story.

Do you mean intragalactic? Or interstellar? Intergalactic will likely never, ever happen, ever, and it will likely never need to either.

>intergalactic
Is that what I said? No. I didn't.

Future without space travel is scary. There is not a single sci-fi book about technologically advanced future without space exploration and colonization, except for dystopias. Without expanding realm Earth becomes claustrophobic nightmare, high-tech prison, anthill where everything you do is prescribed, monitored and recorded.

It's not the bringing stuff back from space that's the hard part, it's getting there that is. There's next to no gravity on the moon so the amount of rocket fuel necessary to take off from the moon is fractions of fractions of the amount required to take off from earth where 96% of the propellant is required to carry its own weight.

It seemed totally feasible that space would be the next frontier considering how rapidly things were moving from 1930 to 1970. Turns out we neared engineering limitations by the late 70s, we've just been tweaking things since then, better radar, materials with slightly better properties, that sort of thing.

Nothing.

We have to keep the nerds down on earth happy.

I cringe every time i see a post about space colonization.

We didn't stop exploring space.

We stopped manned missions, because they were only good for propaganda.

The treaty also stipulated that no one owned the moon but that didn't stop us from putting 5 flags on it during manned missions, plus however many the were put there by robots or impact probes by every one else

>thinks space travel isn't worth it so refuses to spend the time and money to research better propulsion technologies
>"lol our engines are too inefficient, fug space :DDDDDDD"
Wew

No, it just takes decades to learn anything now because of the distance

Why the fuck was the casket open?

Because the guys who insisted the design was sound after multiple people pointed out that it was a deathtrap were at the funeral.

Because he wanted the Soviet politicians to see what happened.