Should Venice and Trieste have been part of the Austrian Empire? Or are they rightfully Italian?

Should Venice and Trieste have been part of the Austrian Empire? Or are they rightfully Italian?

Stop thinking Italy is a nation.

> rightfully

What did he mean by this?

they are rightfully Venetian

Venice should've been taken and sacked by the Ottoman Empire as divine punishment.

they were rightfully Roman and therefore Ottoman clay.

Trst je nas
Fuck Austria
Venice is sinking

It's more of a nation than Austria is tbqfwyl.

Both cities are overwhelmingly italic, both presently and historically. Italy has been pushing for unified italian ethnicity for a century and a half, and both cities are effectively italian, so they're rightful italian clay.
Austria has no claim whatsoever to either city. I can honestly see no grounds to claim otherwise.
Were Venice to become independent again, of course the whole Veneto would be venetian clay first and foremost.
As a venetian myself, I sure as fuck don't consider myself in any way linked to Austria other than geographically.

>unified
>italian
>ethnicity

Is there a bigger meme?

could venice even survive by itself?
it's status as trading port is long dead and buried after all

>could venice even survive by itself?
The city? Fuck no. It's just a tourist trap cum university and a few government buildings nowadays.
The region? I'd say absolutely yes, given an amicable separation.
Veneto doesn't really rely on Italy for anything and it's economically strong. Given a decent separation project, we could become independent fairly painlessly.
Painlessly for us, mind you. Italy would lose a whopping €20bln in net taxes (out of 70b Veneto pays, it sees 50b coming back to the region).
A country that has great difficulties in managing budget maneuvers worth 2-4bln would be destroyed trying to deal with a 20bln loss.

Oh I should add that the amicable part is absolutely mandatory. We're surrounded by Italy and the EU. If they are hostile, we're dead.
Immediate EU membership would also be pretty much mandatory, our economy relies on european trade.

I'm all for it

So Venice and Italy in that picture would be more than fine, Papal States could make bank entirely on tourists and donations, Sardinia would hope it could brand itself as a tourist nation and Two Sicilies becomes north africa tier, if they're lucky.

Being a small country would make it easier for Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to deal with the maffia. After that it could get more foreign investments from other countries like Italy and Venice which will result in more production and more export.

that or being a smaller country makes it easier for foreign bankers to ruin it's entire economy with speculation which in turn leads to mass unemployment strengthening the position of the mafia as for many people they become the only viable employer

>eing a small country would make it easier for Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to deal with the maffia

What makes you think this? The opposite is true, the mafia (well, the Camorra) would totally dominate an independent Sicily.

Austrian

It's rightfully a substitutent part of the HRE ergo is Hapsburg land

I'm deeply saddened that the fates of the Habsbourg and Romanov families weren't swapped at the end of WW1

If you meant "constituent", you're wrong. Venice was never part of the HRE.

this