Latin learner's thread

I've seen quite a bit of chatter about a latin learning thread. So I thought I'd just go ahead and make one.

Post what you're studying, how you're studying and your useful resources. A reasonable amount of shitposting in Latin encouraged.

I personally use wheelocks Latin I'm reading a parallel translation of commentarii de bello gallico reading the English and Latin and translating passages with a dictionary where I already have an idea of its content.

Translate this into Latin:

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming

Been going over my pronoun tables today. Really wanna nail them before I move on.

There's so damn many of them...

Thank you OP. This is what I'm really looking for.

Right, are you actually taking note of the conjugations/declensions or are you going on a word by word basis?

You should really nail the basic grammar first before you tackle an actual book.

Thanks user, I did two years at high school around 13-14 years ago and some of it is still deeply buried in my brain somewhere.

I use wheelocks and decided to just start from scratch again so I go through passages and find examples of grammatical structures I'm studying at that time and focus on those. In lieu of being able to converse etc I want to use it in real contexts to understand why things are expressed the way they are.

Do any of you guys have any idea about how to learn suffixes? I keep mixing them.

What is the correct way to say "God-Emperor of Man/Mankind" in Latin?

I figure it would be something like "Imperator-Deus homo". Are the forms right?

You need add genetive suffix to end if i remember so it should be hominis.

Right. I thought so, just couldn't think of which one to add.

Quidam semel nuntiatum ego quod mundus est iens spira ego.
Ego non este qoud acerrimo instrumentum in qoud horreum.
Illa erat spectatio pius metus in eius digitus et Illa pollex in qoud figura de l in sua frons.
Bene qoud annorum initium adventum et non prohibere adventum

keep doing what you're doing

carthago delenda est!

>prohibere adventum
I guess in that case cease coming/to come should be inputted.

Latinam discebam per quadrennio in scola, quando fui adolescens. Magister Latinae fui iocosus et iucundus. Fecit multis iocis verborum.

unironically using wheelocks latin instead of LLPSI in 2017 XD

What are you on hahahaha

>cicero is pronounced kick uh row
>weni weedee weekee

I don't know why, but this made me lol irl

I am have a Latin degree, ask me anything

Do you have an English degree by chance as well?

>I am have a Latin degree, ask me anything
is your latin better than your english

I am not, native language is sardinian

Ok tehn. Do you have any interesting books to recommend? In latin of course. But in general works too.

For learning, Lingua latina per se Illustrata is very good. It teaches the language purely in Latin and has several companions to explain what it teaches. if you want instead a grammar based approach, i understand Wheelock's and Cambridge are good at this but Lingua Latina per se Illustrata will still help build reading fluency. For Latin works, I personally like Sallust. He had a very unique style. but Cicero is the 'GOAT' as they say of course. I don't have as much experience with poetry, but the Aeneid I enjoyed, as long as you can ignore the problem some people claim that the characters (Aeneas) are 'bland' which I consider somewhat unfair

(wheelock's and cambridge are english latin-textbooks)

I already have both LL and Wheelocks.

I guess I should have specified what I meant. I meant like old reading books and such in Latin, or historical sources and books in Latin or in English about the Latin, etc.

I don't really have much (any) experience with medieval or postclassical sources, only classical ones. but important Roman historians are Sallust (Bellum Catilinae, Bellum Jugurthinum), Caesar (De Bello Gallico), Seutonius (De Vita Caesarum). These are mostly contemporary histories that are important. Livy's whole AUC, which has a lot of speculation but is more accurate than you would think, especially the more recent books. Cicero's in Catilinam, Pliny the Younger's Letters aren't histories but are very historically relevant, and i enjoyed Pliny and Trajan's correspondence. Of course they should all be read critically. There are commentaries on many of these but the amount that they discuss grammar versus historical context varies widely. Sorry I can't direct you to what I think you want, I only really read classical Romans and a tiny amount of the Vulgate early on

No, this is good. Thanks user. I'll look into these.

How much work would it take for someone to translate 'Carry On My Wayword Son'?

that song is actually a translation into english of marcus aurelius' grave stone inscription

Google translator and some latin book I found. Tbh I don't even know what the fuck I wrote but sounds cool

bump

Quidam olim dixit mundum me obvoluturum
nec horrei sum adminiculum acutissimum
videbatur ea quasi stolida mihi pollice digitisque
in frontem effingens L litteram
adveniunt quidem anni neque desinunt