Since it is Veeky Forumstory related, is anyone watching The Last Kingdom? Its centered on Alfred the Great's life

Since it is Veeky Forumstory related, is anyone watching The Last Kingdom? Its centered on Alfred the Great's life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vCJUDdEirco
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Roman_Britain#Written_accounts
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's okay. Main character is a what nowadays is called "Mary Sue" and it's annoying as fuck.

How can a main character in their own series be a "Mary Sue"?

think it's pretty great desu ne except for all the pop history vikang shit normalfags love

Does seem pretty interesting, I'll give it a look.

I don't think its as bad as Vikings got in its later season.

>everyone speaks the same language

Apparently the character is now called Alfred, the only annoying part is the introduction when he calls himself Utred, son of Utred. Show is excellent, how can you not like the Saxon?

Can you be this autistic or do you actually think a show marketed like this will have everyone speaking Old English and Norse/whatever Danes back then spoke?

>How can a main character in their own series be a "Mary Sue"?
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment. I really don't see how being the main character would in any way interfer with Sue status. I would actually argue that most Sues are in fact main characters.

it's more the fact that everyone seems to understand each other than the words that come out of their mouths themselves

Not seeing how the MC is flawlessly or idealized in anyway in-universe by everyone through the first season. I still think you're making shit up.

>I still think you're making shit up.
I haven't even watched the show. I just wanted to disabuse you of the notion that a main character can't be a marysue.

He is great in everything he does. It's annoying as fuck especially when he has no reason to be a strategist. Or the fact that he is somehow a good diplomat and a giant insubordinate dick at the same time. As I said, the show is okay, maybe even "good" but the dude is annoying.

t. Ragnar

The book is superior

Books*

mandatory

>t.13yo

How much of this is fanfiction tho? How much do we actually know about this period of British history?

>How much of this is fanfiction tho?
A lot but less than in Vikings.
>How much do we actually know about this period of British history?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Roman_Britain#Written_accounts

>13.yo

If you are not able to address my point you should consider to remain silent.

What "point" do you have?

Its dramatized but most of it roughly follows a general "history" of Viking invasion of English occurrences. There's still plenty of liberties the show writers take but its nowhere as bad as History Channel's Vikings series like points out.

He could be far more annoying, some dark and brooding character, I find his upbeat attitude refreshing. You can really sense his wonderment in every introduction, "Born a Saxon but raised as a Dane!?"
I think heavy story writers embellishment is admitted with this series.

The armor in this show makes me want to throw up. Why do they insist on Ehtred wearing some wierd tribal fur suit instead of chainmail like actual danes and Saxons?

The portrayal of Alfred is 100% based tho

Agreed, the armor is definitely sub-par in this show.

The aesthetic of the show is awful in general. All the costumes look terrible.

It's pretty good, actually.

>Mary Sue
>literally every two episodes he fucks up and gets chewed out for it

>Viking period
>sub-Roman Britain

I hear it's pretty good, but I just really, really struggle to get past the outfits. It's like they didn't even fucking try

It's as though they want to portray the Anglo-Saxons as primitive compared to the Normans, who always get depicted with armor or courtly clothes. The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes, among other Germanic people that made their way to Britain before the Vikings (and also them), had their best warriors and leaders wearing chain mail and good helmets.

I like it, its definitely better than that piece of shit vikings.
Also hopefully they'll make a series of cornwell's warlord chronicles I loved the books.

It's not bad. I am watching it.

Old Norse and Old English were similar enough at that time that they could understand each other.

All the languages in this map could understand each other around 900 AD.

Good post.

Lindy made a surprisingly good video on that subject.