Is what I just did madness?

I had a job offer after my engineering PhD to work in a foreign country as a post-doc for 2 years, starting on Aug 1st

I already paid the deposit on my apartment and everything

Last week I got a permanent job offer in a large industrial company about 4 hours away from where I live, starting in October. Im not selling my apartment so I agreed to travel there on monday morning by train, and come back thursday or friday evening for the weekend

Ive panicked and accepted the offer in the large company because I was scared Ill never get another offer again if I spend 2 more years working in research.

Im going to lose about $6000 in lost salary and deposit on the apartment, and lost the chance to work in a foreign country doing my favourite bit of engineering in a job where you basically have freedom to do what u want
All because I shat myself and was scared that Ill be fucked and unemployed forever if i take it

I think I made a massive mistake and I am considering suicide

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4vZpfdutYTY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just remember to work hard and pay your taxes wagie.

I need to keep getting my neetbux for these crypto gains

Fuck off parasite.

Do what makes you happy, OP. Life is a journey, not a destination.

Can't you just say no to the company or did you turn down the research offer already?

Whatever you do, don't work in Germany or Belgium

Listen to this fortune cookie. He's right

Hit send too soon. When making a hard decision where it seems like a lose-lose no matter what you pick, choose the option you know you will regret least.

I told the research one i can't come anymore
They still want me to come
But the problem is I've accepted the company and Ill be properly fucked if i do that

At least with the research job the professors know its just a temporary contract and understand why i backed out

Also working at a university is seen as a non job by a lot of people
I literally went to a company to present my PhD work (they invited me because they thought about using it in their products) and had the CEO say to me that working in a university isn't a 'real job' when I asked about the possibility to work there

Thats why I shat myself and took the job in the company

I've had a similar experience.

yeah phd work is not a real job. real jobs suck way way more in the sense that it feels like you are being compensated to waste your life and potential. If you want to do that for a while then go for it, but remember you must be pretty smart and you can probably make a life doing anything you want. I trade crypto, live comfy, "work" on whatever I feel like, and I love it.

What's wrong with Germany or Belgium outside of /Pol/ bullshit?

>I think I made a massive mistake and I am considering suicide

You bought yourself time to think. You can do the Aug 1st job for a few weeks and if you like it you can continue. If you dont like it as much as you thought just drop it and do the local job in october.

Why do an Engineering PHD just to kill yourself a few weeks after you finish? Don't be such a pussy.

Idiot

Good luck tho

you probably made the right choice in today's economy tbqh. stick to your guns. flip flopping again would be professional suicide. try not to think about it too much and get on with your life.

Why would you be fucked, just tell them you got a better offer. Should be fine unless you signed a contract

Where's that "prove to me 1+1 = 2, but you cannot use math" image when you need it.
If you ignore probabilities in your risk assessments, why not cheat on tests, use steroids, do credit card scams, drive at 200mph all the time... You live a life avoiding (say) 1/10000 chances to get burnt; only to make choices with 1% bad outcomes simply because you want to be politically correct.

just follow your gut

>I was scared Ill never get another offer again if I spend 2 more years working in research.
Srs question, how can you ever be in fear of being unemployable with a phd in engineering? Are you meming?

Anyway, every choice you make in your life has its pros and cons: getting married, having children, etc, etc. Also keep in mind that markets are likely to crash in the next 2 years so securing a job is a good thing. I'm totally clueless about the engineering job market when you have a phd but if it's not that easy to find a job I think you made a good choice and I would have done the same.

Honestly, I think a lot of companies would be glad to hire you in Europe. You can work a few years in that company and find another job elsewhere after a few years when you will have experience to sell to other employers worldwide.

kys

Yea i applied for about 50 jobs in the last 3 months, including ones in my exact area and got literally 4 replies from an actual human

>I think I made a massive mistake and I am considering suicide

Sounds like you know what you wanna do OP

Pure research is the shit

you do realize you can change your mind right? As long as you didn't deny the post-doc thing. Either way you can still probably change your mind. Stop being a cuck and tell the industrial company to fuck off and go to wherever the hell you're going

fucked by who? the illuminati? Say you changed your mind you moron!

>August 1st

>4/50
>PhD Engineer
Jesus Christ.
There are no jobs left in man, isn't it?
Bio BSc here, I should get prepared to mop the plaza floors then.
And for the sake of the topic, you dun goofed. If the job is not something you were yearning for, you effectively fucked yourself in the arse. PhD holding in real world is almost derogatory. Everyone hates you because of jealousy. And guess how helpful they become with that feelings of scorn. You either need to buckle up and go full Machiavellian or buy helium when you can afford because you are going to kill yourself after a couple of years as a NEET.
Its not a banana engineering right?
Or you graduated from somewhere nobody has ever heard?

What are you researching? If its a cure for baldness or boners do it. Also yes you shit the bed, clean it up and take the job you want. $6000 yearly isn't going to make or break you.

should have done math Phd starting salary is 300K most places

Why not work at a university then? Starting salary for my engineering professor was 75k and he's at 100+ now after about 15 years

>/Pol/ bullshit
Is /pol/ really the only place where the replacement of the white working class with violent non-whites on government assistance is recognized as a problem?

This is what German taxes go towards: youtu.be/4vZpfdutYTY

Continue to invest in yourself, work hard at your job to make it pay off, and later on, you'll be laughing about that time you worried so much over so little money.

Academia can get political, along with "publish or perish." Only go there if you can't actually produce. You can still pull over 100k in private industry. Get good; stay good (i.e. make yourself worth that much).

> friend, just go talk and explain what's bothering you, they will understand.
>most important thing is you follow your bliss.

>do what makes you happy, bro

>life is supposed to be fun
>
>good luck