Probably a question for /g/ but have any anons here been to a web dev/coding bootcamp? Is it worth it?

Probably a question for /g/ but have any anons here been to a web dev/coding bootcamp? Is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum
github.com/dogecoin/dogecoin
medium.com/@lhartikk/a-blockchain-in-200-lines-of-code-963cc1cc0e54
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know a handful of people who did it. They went from freelancing photo scrubs or baristas to fully employed adults in less than a year.

i wish they had coding bootcamps for languages like C++ and java and shit. it's all just javascript and html crap.

Do u mean bootstrap?

Exactly what I'm attempting to do
The one I'm looking at teaches Java, React, HTML5, CSS3, and Ruby. Full time 10 week program for 17k. 1k down payment.

thats retarded . you can learn all of that for free - you can't learn all of that in 10 weeks - and you don't need to diversify that much when just starting out.

anything you think would do in C++ you should just do in javascript.

you dont know enough about what your doing to think you need C++.
java is shit.

html is UI.

do u even know what u would use for C++ ui ?

networking ?

node js is written in c++

I think the real trick was to buddy up with the staff and shit. I think the decent ones are essentially recruiters for other companies and if you're cool with them and not a dumbass they'll set you up with a job somewhere.

how the fuck do i do peer to peer shit in node js. ive been trying it all afternoon. i want to use electron like the ethereum wallet does.

sometimes you need to rethink what you are trying to do.

there is probably a more efficient way to do what u are trying to do , with less 3rd party add ons and a little bit more thinking about code.

just tell me how to do peer to peer connections in node js then

Did you google it you fucking retard.
DO you really NEED BIZ to spoonfeed you.

fuck off. that guy looked like he was helpful, unlike your faggoty ass.

It's worth it if you have no clue how to get started. I think the best thing is that it really helps you get hooked up with a job.

The thing I recommend is that you bust your ass off. One of my smart friends who took a few CS classes in college ended up graduating and making $110k out of a bootcamp.

Definitely possible to make big bucks. She ended up working at stubhub, which isn't great but a job is a job and it opens up more doors to you. Best of luck user.

think about what you really want from a peer to peer connection.

do you want ui ?

do you want uploading downloading?

downloading of what?

do u have a database?

if not use googles firebase real time database with rxjs and observables.

why do u want peer to peer instead of servers?

do u know why?

explain why , u will begin the seed of your code when u start to verbosely explain what u want

what u want to do specifically and what u say u want to do generally , wont necessarily be the same looking code.

u need to be very explicit in what u are trying to do ,
not just "peer to peer in node js'

what peer to peer?
why ?
when ?
does each client need to be running a server?

obviously they could run a node js server then?

couldn't they just run in the browser serving code and data to eachother interfacing with the database , ?

why or why not?

>why do u want peer to peer instead of servers?
because I want to make a blockchain, not a lame ass database on a server

express verbosely what you are trying to do.

you are underestimating the power of what i have said to you .

first of all . why do you want a block chain?

what service are u creating that requires blockchain technology?

now if u really need this.

cant u see that node js servers can be deployed on each client nodes computer acting as a peer to peer individual server, and saving .bin files or some such thing to their app folder?

if u were doing this in C++ and u weren't using externally libraries coding this would take unnecessarily long.

node js is coded in C++ and its 1 package.

>lame ass database on server.

there is nothing lame about databases my friend.

a "blockchain" is nothing more than a distributed database.

why do u need your data to be distributed.
also .. why cant it be distributed and central?

you need to think completely thru and be verbose

instead of..
only succinctly answering 1 question like :
"because I want to make a blockchain, not a lame ass database on a server"

That's helpful and thanks

i just want to make a blockchain man. sometimes its as simple as that. so i guess you're saying i should make each computer into its own node js server that other computers communicate with somehow. i will look into it node js servers i guess.

>She
and there it is.

further more,
why can't what you are doing, be done on each individual clients browser.

if u only want them to download and upload files.

there is nothing gross about taking an uploaded file and validating it.

users upload tons of files to this site/fb/instagram everyday and dont' think twice about it.

don't use technologies just because they are in vouge or buzzwords of the moment, use them because they are the proper to to solve the problem you are trying to solve.

you can make a "block chain"
with a pen and sheets of paper.

why not do that?

why do u require the technologies.

what is the problem you are trying to solve?

if u just want a clone of block chain.

here.
github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
github.com/ethereum/cpp-ethereum

github.com/dogecoin/dogecoin

tweak one insignificant line of code and u have a forked "block chain"
so what?

what problem are u trying to solve?

a purely distributed p2p database would be extremely slow. is that what u really want.

oh yeah ill make a blockchain on a piece of paper. that sounds fun. are you autistic or something dude. i want to make my own unique blockchain from scratch. there is no particular problem i want to solve. i am not working for anybody. i dont have to do that. do you understand now?

>paper wallet

so if u want the independence of doing it yourself from scratch.
why are u asking for advice?

what will make it unique if you are going about it in the same way the previous one was created?

why waste time making a shoddier version of something thats already being forked for its shoddyness anyways?

if u just wanna learn and have some fun , without coding 200k lines of code just to "reinvent"
the wheel.

play around with this

medium.com/@lhartikk/a-blockchain-in-200-lines-of-code-963cc1cc0e54

I did a 3 month, full time web dev bootcamp a couple years ago when I was 19, it cost $8,000, which I borrowed from my dad. I was then able to get a $50,000 salary job out of the gate and I paid him back after 4 months.

All my friends in university hate me for it because I'm making real money while they're racking up debt. In hindsight, I probably could've found a job without the bootcamp, like said, it's good if you have no idea how to get your foot in the door. I already knew how to code, but I had no idea how to "get a job". The most valuable thing I got out of the course was having a dedicated careers counsellor, who helped me revise my resume, portfolio, cover letters, linkedin, social media etc.

thanks. that article is exactly what i was looking for

anytime

Same. Dudes and grills I know went from arts majors to 50k yearly full stack developers

They're not good, they won't teach you shit

I'm a professional software engineer making 6 figures and I can guarantee you I couldn't do my job effectively without a CS degree unless I spent a lot of time self studying, which most people can't do well

You need all the algorithms and data structures, you need all the architecture knowledge, you need all the OS implementation knowledge, you need this stuff. Just because javascript and python hides everything doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Node.JS / Elixir developer here. Started with Angular 2 course 1.5+ year ago on Udemy.

Websites bored me, so started doing backend stuff. Projects include serialization of network packets.

Because at node they screwed up proper tail calls, as well as scalability and reliability I made the switch to Elixir.

Yes, the available content for Elixir sucks. Thank god for ElixirSips and Github repositories..

buzz off dude. you don't need all that fancy stuff to get a basic software job.

Well I don't like bootcamp scrubs

You guys end up writing shitty code that real programmers have to maintain

You have everything from badly named variables to memory reallocations obscured by abstraction, to potential deadlocks and thread contentions hidden in your shitty code

If you want to be a software engineer be a software engineer not a lil bitch boi aych tee em ell'er. It's okay to do a bootcamp if it's a stepping stone to eventually getting a CS degree, otherwise hop off the train bic boi - this shit aint for u

Bootcamps just churn out some IDE training or basic framework stuff. Good enough for most places. Just make a project outside it to complement it and you'll do good.

How much math do you need to be a competent coder making decent money?

none

Depends on what you want to code. I do financial data for a large company and I need to use a little bit of math every day. I've used stats, linear algebra and calculus at work.

You need basic discrete math, algebra, and knowledge of the concepts of calculus such as infinite limits and power series

They do 3 seperate projects in the bootcamp for resume/skill building etc. They send you learning materials 8 weeks before the program starts so you can hit the ground running.
Get off your high horse man I just want a comfy desk job thats moderately challenging and pays well.

Ya, for web dev, front end stuff, etc you can get a job no problem. You should have some idea of time complexity and a little knowledge over basic algorithms though.

Alright thanks I'll start doing some research. Math and logic are my strong suits so I think I'll be fine.

I should add that you should check it's reputation online because there are a few out there that people think are scams.

>If you want to be a software engineer be a software engineer not a lil bitch boi aych tee em ell'er. It's okay to do a bootcamp if it's a stepping stone to eventually getting a CS degree, otherwise hop off the train bic boi - this shit aint for u

Screw you, gatekeeper. Are you afraid we're going to take your job without debt?

CS degrees are overrated. Experience is underrated.

Already did. Seems legit. Going to the open house in sept.

I guarantee you will never take my job and I have no debt

Experience is overrated, plenty of people are shitty programmers for years on end learning nothing, or even learning bad habits

I want to learn programming, too but never thought about something like a bootcamp for it.
I just started learning Python online, with tutorials.. Is Python good to use for first projects and then learning other languages? I dont plan to be a professional coder, I just want to code as a kind of hobby

How come all these graduates are able find employment? With all the people that already work in IT + all the pajeets and H1B visa workers. How is there still enough work for everyone?
Websites can be created in a few minutes nowadays, with little or no investment. Most small businesses or people don't even want/need a custom-designed site, so why the fuck all these web devs are still in constant demand. What else? Game devs? There are already a literal metric shitton of games out there, most of them are without any playerbase even when they are completely f2p.

What else?
Don't tell me all these newly-minted coders are doing something unique or ground-breaking, that they all are immediately employed by google/microshit/apple, Wall str. banks or the government. They won't hire new guys.

HOW the fuck all these legions of trainees and junior developers are able to find work? Where the fuck are they working at?? Any industry with THIS amount of newbies coming in every year would have been saturated a long time ago.

My only guess is that older coders get burned out in droves every year, so that's the only reason why the industry needs constant influx of fresh blood.

the economy is doing good fag. thanks president trump

think of it as a new era that has yet to find its peak. There are industries which have just started to go the digital route and use embedded intelligent systems and shit f.e.

You're right, it's easy to make simple static text based websites with logins and basic accounts using frameworks

But good luck creating any sufficiently novel and complex website that can scale without a highly sophisticated backend server and tons of devs maintaining it.

I personally work at a large company and my entire 100+ person team exclusively maintains one tiny part of the website, because there are so many users and the AI involved is so heavily scaled and evolving

because you haven't lived in the valley, don't know anyone in the valley, and don't pay attention to anything happening in the valley. your post tells me you're speculating on nothing but misinformed presuppositions, the kind of conclusions you get off of some shitty forbes article.

I think I meet all of the criteria in that image. How do I fix myself?

>But good luck creating any sufficiently novel and complex website that can scale without a highly sophisticated backend server and tons of devs maintaining it.

Yes, but how easy is it to get a job in your company, if you're just a newfag from a bootcamp? I was under impression that you need several years of working experience before you can get a job in a big IT
company and participate in big projects. Where exactly can you get that experience (as a web developer for instance), if a simple website can be created online almost without any effort.

>implying that bootcamp noobs are immediately getting hired by the Silicon Valley companies after getting their certificates

Trumplet pls. ptg is over there >>> /pol

Do what I'm doing?

>With all the people that already work in IT
>confusing IT with development
stopped reading there, don't post about things you don't understand retard

Having a CS degree doesn't automatically make you good at your job. I know plenty of people with CS degrees who are shit.

Because there's stuff that needs to be done and a lack of qualified labor to do it.
In my city, for example, there's around 1400 open C++ dev positions. Similar numbers for JS, and around 2x for Java.