What is the most aesthetic borders in history and why is it the Iberian peninsula in the 1400s?

What is the most aesthetic borders in history and why is it the Iberian peninsula in the 1400s?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Countries
elpais.com/elpais/2016/09/05/inenglish/1473071302_084217.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rNUsOaB5V2c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it fair to say that most Aragonese at that time spoke a version of medieval Catalan?

Ottoman borders at its biggest extent

valencian*

Hell no. Should have stopped at the Danube, taking Hungary was a huge mistake. To the south, yeah, it looks great, but the northern borders are fucking awful.

Achaemenid Empire looked amazing.

GREAT post

Ignorant Ameriburger here. How different would these different medieval Iberian descendants of Latin have been?

Obviously Basque isn't even Indo-European and thus totally different, but would medieval Castillian, Portuguese, Valencian, Catalan, Occitan, etc. have had some level of mutual intelligibility?

It depends on the regions. In Aragon Aragonese and Castillian were the most spoken languages. In the interior of Valencia Castillian was the most spoken language while Valencian/Catalan was the most spoken language. In Catalonia Catalan was the most spoken language with some occitant here and there

i quess so, if they have now some level the same would happen before. Occitan would be the most difficult to understand tho.

remove muslims

Thanks anons.

>aragon
thank god that thing does not exist anymore despite what commielonians want

I support Polish independence, but if we talk purely aesthetics, then it's 1914 Europe.

Yes, back then it was called "llemosí" and it was spoken in the crown of Aragon. When the two crowns united, because of Castille having more power and influence, spanish started to become trendy at the point that in the actual Aragon almost no one speaks catalan (but they do in Catalonia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands of course)

They don't want aragon back, they want their fictional Països Catalans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Countries

They also teach in schools that it wasn't the Crown of Aragon but the Catalo-Aragonese Crown.

They also stole some artworks from the era and claimed it was theirs

elpais.com/elpais/2016/09/05/inenglish/1473071302_084217.html

Galician here (if you don't know what it is you can start going out of this board forever)

Since the Eight Century it is known that there were multiple languages accross the Iberian Peninsula.
Once the muslims invaded the visigodos (there were more germans e.g. sueves) only the northern languages survived. And then with the centralization of kingdoms the languages evolved different. Example: The Galician-Portuguese was at 1200 the most important language at Christian Kingdoms (you have a leonese king writing his poems in it (alfonso X - Cantigas de Santa María)). But since Galicia got in Leon and POrtugal got independent, they got quite different. I live at the South of Galicia so if I go to Porto I can barely understand what they say, but at Lisboa I simply can't.

Those languages obviously came from Latin, but the Germans and Arabs made them different.

European Russian Empire (and it' prussian neighbour) has some seriously A E S T H E T I C curves

1914 Europe would have looked better with an independent Poland desu

WW1 Germany desu

The only thing I would change is giving Slovakia to Hungary

>Obviously Basque isn't even Indo-European
So what the fuck are they?

Unique

I think they are Spanish who want to be contrarians so they decided to be assholes

In Aragon they spoke Aragonese and in some places Catalan too. The Principality (Catalonia region) spoke Catalan. Valencia spoke a mix, mainly Catalan. The Balears fully Catalan, too.

So maybe yes, it would be rather fair to say so. The court got a hard-on Castillian later, though, and used it un-officially besides Catalan.

t. Some guy who has studied the history of the Catalan language

No, you have no idea. Their language is like what a satanic ritual sounds like. All their words seem to incorporate too many X's and "oea"'s. If Spain had entered WW2, Basque could have rivaled Navajo as the standard code language, because the words they use have absolutely no base in any other language in Europe, or the world, for that matter.

Austria-Hungary was a complete shitshow, but damn did it have an aesthetic border.

I'd give all of Thrace to Greece, too.

>that ending

The Iberian peninsula still has the most aesthetic borders in history.

A E S T H E T I C

all the clay beneath the blue sky belongs to the great khan

Add Lappland, Kola and Karelia and it would be perfect

>not northumbria
why do you hate me i am nordic aryan ginger master race blue eyed mongoloid nigger
i am one of you

> Ireland ain't complete
> Turkey is in Europe

>Turkey doesn't rule all of Greece
>Poland has west Ukraine
>Germany is too big
Shit

>thrace still turkish
my friend...........

>germany doesnt have silesia, west prussia, or north schleswig

nigga what

youtube.com/watch?v=rNUsOaB5V2c

>catalonya separated from Aragón
¿?¿?¿?

With those borders, it looks kinda like Max Stirner.

spain internal regional divisions should look like this.
>represents the 5 kingdoms referenced in the spanish coat of arms (plus Canary island)

>Granada has Murcia and western Andalucia
Wtf is this none sense?

you cant please everyone at once
would it make more sense giving Murcia to the Crown of Aragon? if it was "accurate" it would be such a tiny region

>åland is in finnish hands

I know who Galicians are (the people immediately north of Portugal).

Thanks user.

That's not how languages work you autistic retard. Basque is a language isolate - it has no confirmed relatives.

Interesting, thanks user.

What the fuck are these romanian borders

You can only barely understand what they say in Porto? That doesn't happen to every Galician you know? I get 90% of what they say if they don't speak too quickly. Same with most of Brazilian varieties. From Lisbon to the south it's very difficult to understand, I agree with that.

Also, Galician-Portuguese was not the most important language in 1200, it was only the most valued one for writing poetry (they had good taste).

Saúdos, meu

no one really knows. Some say it comes from ancient etruscan (italy region) and that they managed to keep themselves isolated when romans conquered hispania

>United Ireland

t.butthurt mick

Nobody's sure. They might be a relic population of the neolithic peoples living in Europe before the Indo-Europeans arrived though.

The Roman Empire at its zenith under Hadrian was aesthetic as fuck.

Just me or does this colouration make Portugal and Grenada look like a face and neck, with Castile as its majestice blonde mullet?

preindoeuropeans, like the Etruscans or the Pelasgians.

Most probably of neolithic origin, not a hunter gatherer language.

he's talking about the languages dummy

>Continent has the most naturally appealing boundaries in the world
>Countries split the land in an awkward way that makes the individual nations look like shit
Why?

What kind of map is that?

It's a gif showing the rise and fall of the Achaemenid empire.

Germany is too bloated and a divided Ireland looks bad, change it to total control either way.

>That Italy
Thanks doc.

Man, I miss playing Diplomacy.

>what is the whole of history
It's not there because the first humans decided the borders with MS paint (apart from the European colonization of Africa)

>shitty straight line borders
Fuck you

>Cantabria leonesa
>Zamora castellana
>La Rioja navarra
>Murcia y Andalucía entera es granadina

Dale Mallorca al Reino del Alentejo y habrás conseguido un 10/10 en retarded af.

Pre-Vienna borders looked better desu

How/why did Navarre get cucked out of a coastline?

Vizcaya chose to join Castile and Gupuzcoa got annexed by Castile after the Navarrese king launched an invasion on Castile.

nah the way the german and french empires are of similar size with unique shape looked much better.

fixed it

your map a shit

wrong map lel

It's Stirner with a mullet