YHWH

what's the real no-bullshit archaeological/anthropological lowdown on YHWH, the God of the Bible, Quran, and Talmud?

Are Abrahamics receiving the same amount of secular study as things like the Indo-European gods?

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/survey-finds-2-of-anglican-priests-are-not-believers-9821899.html
mythologymatters.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/yahwehs-divorce-from-the-goddess-asherah-in-the-garden-of-eden/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Christianity (and as a consequence, Judaism) is the most studied and criticized religion in all of human history.

But I'm talking about ancient Israelite, not some fedora's modern shitpost against the church.

Yahweh was the war god of the Canaanite pantheon. Moses (an Egyptian) brought monotheism to Canaan, and equated his one god with Yahweh. The Canaanites who converted top the new religion became the Jews.

Educate yourself.

Yahweh was originally an Epithet of the Canaanite god El, and arch rival of Baal

He was likely a Judeo-Canaanite god of War, Fire, Volcanoes and Earthquakes and Creativity (sort of like a hybrid of Haephaestus and Poseidon)

He originally had a wife whom the Jews also worshipped until theological developments during the Babylonian exile

If you're interested in this topic a good place to start is the chapter on early Judaism in Karen Armstrong's "A history of God"

>Judeo-Canaanite

No such thing. The Jews were Canaanites before they adopted their new religion.

You're right, I meant to make this remark to indicate that Yahweh was a Cannanite god before he became the sole Jewish god as well

> I cut my own dick today. Yhwh Akbar
t. Abraham

hardcore

So Yahweh is the demiurge after all?

Is Yahweh's cock uncut in this image?

GOLDEN CALF TEMPLE FOUND IN THE SINAI PENINSUIA

ATTENTION: GOLDEN CALF TEMPLE FOUND INT HE SINAI PENINSULA

ATTENTION

ATTENTION

Absolutely not. Not only it doesn't make sene, the Genesis doesn't say that.

Egyptian ATON

=

Hebrew ADON/ADONAI

Akhenaton the pharaoh of monoethism= CORRESPONDENCE WITH ALL THE NEAR EAST INCLUDIGN THE CITY OF CANAANITE CITY OF URUSALIM (LATER JERUSALEM), THE KING OF URUSALIM REPORTS TO BEING UNDER CONSTANT ATTACK OF THE HABIRU (LATER HEBREWS), NOMAD REJECTS OF THE NEAR EAST (JUST LIKE THE HEBREWS), TWO CENTURIES LATER THE BRONZE AGE COLLAPSE HAPPENED, GUESS WHAT, EGYPT LOST ITS TERRITORIES IN CANAAN-->LACK OF CENTRAL POWER-->THE HABIRU(HEBREWS) TAKE OVER URUSALIM (JERUSALEM)

i love the ahistorical mental gymnastics apologists do to try and retain their faith in this bbc god

Finally a pic of Skydaddy!

*bombs you*

>Are Abrahamics receiving the same amount of secular study as things like the Indo-European gods?
They are the most studied religions in the world.

>They are the most studied religions in the world.
What makes it really surprising people still believe in this crap.

What I don't get is not the communities living in the American South, but how in the world do people read the New Oxford Annotated Bible, know everything of the paganism that was before YHWH's monolatry, know all about the mess the New Testament writers made in interpreting the Hebrew Bible through the Septuagint sources and oral transmission, don't even believe in the resurrection as a historical event - and they still go to church.

For example Bart Ehrman approached the Bible as an Evangelical, but he's an agnostic now. He had an extremely short intermediate phase of being a "liberal Christian" which obviously wasn't meant to last.

But Mark S. Smith is a God-fearing Catholic, even though he writes from a scientific, secular angle.

John S. Spong debated AGAINST the resurrection vs William Lane Craig. And he's called himself a bishop.

WTF do they even do in a church? Worship a man-made political entity?

Evidence?

I'm atheist and I like going to church because I was raised an Orthodox and mass is beautiful.

>GOLDEN CALF TEMPLE FOUND IN THE SINAI PENINSUIA
sauce?

They want to feel connected to something greater than themselves.

It is. But, as you said, you identify as an atheist.

There's a bunch of people who definitely appear to be apostates in denial. Sometimes not even in denial as 2% of Anglican priests don't believe in God and don't bother hiding it:
independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/survey-finds-2-of-anglican-priests-are-not-believers-9821899.html

Now "belief in God" doesn't sound too strange or demanding as a belief for a priest, does it?

Can't the just be Neoplatonists or something? Why be a Spong-style "bishop" when you can read Plotinus?

I've been going through the same phase of not believing In the Bible and yet refusing to leave the church. I also like Plotinus. I would go to a Plotinian church on a heartbeat, but there is no such thing. To be honest, and I can be completely honest since this board is anonymous, it feels good to be around other people who at least nominally believe in the same thing as you do. What is metaphysics worth to me if I am all alone in my home with nobody else to share? I guess this is one of the reasons Christianity won and Neoplatonism lost the war of world views in the late Roman Empire.

What did you expect from Protestant leaders?

>morrowind_concept_art.jpg

Same reason many ancient thinkers in Rome and Greece were atheists yet advocated supporting religion.

Religion is from the Latin religere = to link people. It's a powerful tool of societal cohesion and control. Only retards think it should be done away with to make people "free", which will only make them miserable.

Yahweh is a cheetah-man with an enormous penis according to this drawing.

It looks like my animes.

sshhhiiieeeettt

Lmao so this is the god of Jews, Christians and Muslims. No wonder they are mentally ill people.

Don't be nasty the American state school system sucks.

Abraham didn't worship Yahweh AFAIK. He worshiped El.

Kinda sad that you had to lie to unify people :(

Originally you didn't lie, you interpreted within the limits of your understanding of the world.

"People" are sheep who will be led one way or another, to the precipice (nihilism) or to the shepherd (the beautiful lie). The way of the precipice leads to death; that of the shepherd, to life. It is not in my interest that society plunges into a death spiral, as I myself am dependent on said society and can't produce by myself the goods that are necessary for me sustenance and entertainment. Therefore it is in my interest to tell the beautiful lie, even through my teeth, and act out on it and push legislation to force sheep not to jump off the precipice. And according to Pascal's Wager I have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this.

In short. Praise Yahweh the dick god! Even praise him! He is a lie. Everything about him is a lie, but a necessary one. Praise the lie. Stop pushing atheism you edgy kids. And if I ever meet you IRL I'll be that larpy Christian evangelical pretending to believe in young earth creationism and that the Bible is the infallible word of god, and you are terrible people and reprobates for not believing in it.

I'll join you, user.

Better to live in a christian community.

Bullshit. And die, faggot.

Bullshit. You die too.

YHWH came from Midianites you fool. The same people that sprang Tzippora.

Another idiot is heard from.

YHWH isn't the god of Christianity. The father is.

You are talking about Asherah I guess. There is a nice text about their divorce.

mythologymatters.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/yahwehs-divorce-from-the-goddess-asherah-in-the-garden-of-eden/

The Father is Yahweh.
The Son is God, and thus, the Name of the Son is Yahweh.
The Holy Spirit is also God, and thus. . . his name is Yahweh.

Christian only according to fathers of catholic church. Addition of Jewish religion contradicts words of Χρεστος.

Yes, the Bible is clear that Yahweh merely reshaped existing matter (the "waters" he moved across before he started creating).

Typical Christian "love" on display.

It's impossible to stop. Read some Nietzsche my man. You don't have to fake a purpose, you can just make one up from your feelings combined with your reason. Which, honestly, you've already done clearly. Good on you. But just know that deep down you believe essentially the same thing as the ardent individualist atheist you may argue against.

nope

Mat 11:27"All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."

It makes even more sense when you consider that Paul wanted to evict the entire Old Testament cannon. All of the early Gnostics loved Paul.

>study Ancient Israelite religion
>see pic
>everything is incorrect
>Yahweh was originally an Epithet of the Canaanite god El, and arch rival of Baal
Though this theory has numerous holes in it
>He originally had a wife whom the Jews also worshipped until theological developments during the Babylonian exile
disputed
>If you're interested in this topic a good place to start is the chapter on early Judaism in Karen Armstrong's "A history of God"
>early Judaism = Israelite religion
were