Was there any practice during medieval Japan of capturing nobles for ransom like in Europe...

Was there any practice during medieval Japan of capturing nobles for ransom like in Europe? Were Japanese too quick to commit suicide precisely to avoid such results in every case?

I know they took hostages a lot to broker deals, but I'm no japan expert

They did, I think. Minamoto no Yoshitsune, if I'm not mistaken. Was seppuku really that prevalent in premodern Japan? Or was it just as common as Roman suicide?

Seppuku during the warring states happened but is was Roman tier. An acceptable way to regain honor, but not the only way.

Edo period is when everyone went crazy about glorious suicide.

Honestly, I would think it was only as prevalent as in Rome or in other pre-christian empires when a battle was hopeless and they were sure to die or be tortured/raped in some way. However, Japanese obsession with "saving face" and some of the things I have read makes me thing they would commit suicide in many more cases. For example, apparently a family friend connected to nobonaga committed sepukku when he was embarrassed by Nobu's flippant behavior after his father passed away. When I watched the anime(and this is anime) princess Kaguya, it seemed like she was threatening suicide nonchalantly over something not that deep imo.

Oh ok thanks.
So basically, everyone in Edo period was some edgy fanboy of past samurai so they invented many pompous practices to relive the "glory of their ancestors."

Nobunaga's teacher committed suicide to shame him into behaving. It was a form of protest in a society were the idea of rebellion or disobedience was often unthinkable.

You killed the leader so they couldn't sneak off and rebuild their power base.

Except Japan had multiple rebellions anyway
>Taiping
>Heiji
>Hogen

>Taiping
>Japan
Wut?

Theory and practice are two different things

it wasn´t ransom for money but political, like a rival feudal lord inviting your whole family to visit his house and "enjoy the warm springs and cherry blossoms" for an indefinite lenght of time.
Etiquette dictated that a negative answer was totally rude and shameful

oops meant Genpei*
my point still stands.
No, it shows that no one really gave a shit in general. Only some people did.

I know that. Europeans also had similar prisoners. I mean specifically, nobles take after a battle or before.

In the Sengoku period, they usually executed enemies captured in battle.

It's shamefur dispray user

we're dealing with over several hundred years. The late sengoku was never different from classical Japan.

Perhaps a better way to say it would be it was a way to protest without bringing your loyalty into question. And clearly people gave a shit, it didn't stop some people from rebelling but that doesn't mean it was an act thought highly of.

There is also a distinction between rebelling against the central authority and ones direct lord

*they helped their enemies get over their shame of losing.

Even nobles? That's the point of this thread.

meant to add you as well

>a society were the idea of rebellion or disobedience was often unthinkable.

And that, kids, is why Oda Nobunaga could die peacefully in his sleep...

I know someone played Shogun 2.

>nobles

Not sure

>commoners

definitely, criminals kidnap people all over the world and all ages in order to extort their loved ones and family members

The whole honorubu samurai thing was a meme invented by the Tokugawa Shogunate so they didn't have to fight Sekigahara every decade

Samurai seem to switch sides a lot, especially after some lord gets totally defeated.

What can I say? It's a damn good game.

Check'd.

So they didn't kidnap nobles for ransom after a battle to make money or to barter for terms(the later I guess would be more if the lord of winning army found the hostage)?

No, hostages were exchanged to assure that treaties were honored. you would send your son to your ally, maybe they would send their daughter or their mother.

These hostages were usually treated very well, even marrying into the family was possible.

Yes. Sometimes nobles would surrender themselves to be "prisoners" for diplomatic reasons too.

Tell me about Taira Tomomori, why does he hold the anchor?