What are some positive things one can say about the Wehrmacht without coming off like a Wehraboo?

What are some positive things one can say about the Wehrmacht without coming off like a Wehraboo?

They had an enormously well developed system of communication, especially inter-arm communication, that fairly consistently allowed them to outperform what a straight material analysis of their strength would indicate them capable of doing.

They were probably the most tactically proficient Army during the war.

History's most aesthetic army

Can you guys elaborate with examples?

>They had an enormously well developed system of communication
THIS, and their general logistics system is something I feel a lot of people don't appreciate.

I thought their logistics was one of their weak points though.

I would say it was less the system that was at fault, more their estimates about how much "weight" that system was gonna have to carry.

Not without citing to nitty-gritty tactical elements of larger battles if you want serious, academic citation.

But consider Rommel's performance in North Afirca. He goes into a theater with fewer artillery, planes, and tanks than his foes, and his quality of armaments is even to worse on average. He does have some localized numerical advantages over in the west, but as he pushes east, he tends to lose those, as he can't project the totality of his force, and the inverse happens for the British as they get close to their own supply dumps.

But time and again, he wins skirmishes and even full blown battles. It's not that his tanks are better than British tanks, or his artillery is better than British artillery, but he's using a rather well developed system to ensure that it's his anti-tank guns (or converted AA guns) rather than his tanks blowing the hell out of Matildas, and his own armor are right where they need to be to overrun British flanks. When you have one of those minefield and spotters on a nearby cliff defenses that are tough to get through, he generally had the artillery firing on the overseers and clearing the way for his sappers quickly; sure, his 10.5 cm guns might not have had the direct punch as some of those massive 5.5" guns the Brits had, but it's often more important to get the shells where you need them than to have heavier shell weight.

It's the main reason that you did have a Luftwaffe focused on CAS, and one of the reasons they were successful at it.

For example: They thought their war with Russia was gonna be swift and decisive, like the battle of France. So they prepared accordingly, which later led to complications.

Aestheticism

Blitz tactics

First Assault Rifle to actually be used in combat

Inspired a lot of modern tank designs.

2nd most disciplined army behind the Japs.

>Not without citing to nitty-gritty tactical elements of larger battles if you want serious, academic citation.

No need, this is a quality post user.

Well they had convoluted organization in some areas.

Definetley. But the biggest problem was that while a good system, it relied on a lot of modern infrastructure (good roads, railways etc), which existed in Western Europe but not to the same extent at all in Russia.

They mention, for example. the problem they had with railways in your picture. the Russians used a different track gauge then the Germans, so a lot of Russia railway track was unusable (The Germans knew about this, but they expected to get a hold of a lot of Russian trains and carts as the war progressed then they actually did) So they had to adapt or build entirely new railway.

>HAHAHA THEY'RE NOT REALLY MECHANIZED. MOST OF THEIR SHIT IS MOVED VIA HORSE AND WAGON

Eeexcept that was the HF7 Stahlfeldwagen. That wagon was made of steel, standardized, had a truck tier suspension system, and tires instead of the spoked wheel. A far cry from WWI/Late 19th Century tier wagons. Which many armies were still using.

You could also link said wagons together and tow them behind a truck or a halftrack, forming a road train of sorts and sparing horses.

STG44

It's still a fucking wagon. Considering their rubber shortage I doubt this is what most of the army used.

>It's still a fucking wagon.
Yeah, but its a wagon that doesnt break down like silly on a long haul.
>Considering their rubber shortage I doubt this is what most of the army used.
The German army still used traditional wagon types (the Feldkueche for example), with the meme spokes, but the heavy lifting was done by the HF7s

What I really don't understand is why they didn't use chariots too.

They easily had the best aesthetic of any side in the war.

it's pulled by a fucking horse bro, you can put fins on a turd but that don't make it a rcoket ship