Griffe vs African-American

Should we replace African-American, with the simpler and more exclusive term griffe, to describe this uniquely American ethnic group?

Or maybe we should just simply call them Americans.

ALL THOSE IN FAVOR OF REPLACING THE TERMS BLACKS AND WHITES WITH SKIDDLYBOPS AND DOODLYBOOS GIVE ME A (YOU)

African-American is particularly misleading and implies they are not real Americans, when in fact the average black American is more deeply rooted in the country than the average white American.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH HISTORY!

OR FUCKING HUMANITIES!

REPORTED!

This fucking thread again, oh my fucking god.

Newfag here, how do we report threads?

It is humanities. It is a about the bastardization of an ethnic group through language manipulation.

Click on the arrow beside the post. Click report

Why does this upset people so much. Black Americans are a unique ethnic group, and should have a unique descriptor that is not hyphenated and misleading/bastardizing.

>mfw some libtard refers to a black guy from britain as african american

This is why the term African American just needs to die, and was a bad idea to begin with.

Thanks user.

Yeah, and nobody objected the first 6 million times you made this fucking thread. Literally what the fuck are you trying to accomplish? Are you just killing threads in the most autistic way possible?

Agreed.

I'm doing my part to try to end the use of the bastardizing term African-American.

I knew a guy who referred to the Zulu as an "African-American tribe"

It's incredibly cringey. It needs to end.

You sound British.
Americans use phrases like "African-American", "Irish-American", "Chinese-American" etc. to mean that the person is American but comes from a family that is descended from a particular country/continent/language group/ethnic group.
We use it as small talk and to explain why we do things slightly differently in our family as opposed to other families.

African-American has been beloved by whites though, because of its underlying implications. So they have cemented its use in academia and government. It is a modern tragedy.

No It was a term accepted and spread by Black you jackass. Asides from informal "that guy is black" (due to ease of use) in every other setting African American has much better connotations and receptions then Black American or Black because "Black" has VERY bad image and connotation to it as seen allover the world (ESPECIALLY the new world).

I would much rather use the term "Negro" because everyone knows what it means and it doesn't carry with it arguments about who is African, who is American, is Barack Obama really African-American because he doesn't have any slave ancestors, is someone from Tunisia African-American etc. etc. etc.
However, "Negro" has been culturally poisoned by its association with racists and the N-word, and so can't be used.

It was never accepted by black people at large. It is not like we had a vote on it. Most blacks in real life hate the term, and it has many vocal opponents, whooping Goldberg, Raven Simone, Morgan freeman, suge knight, NOI, Stacey dash etc. The powers that be used a puppet(Jesse Jackson) to put a black face on it, but it was a name that has been essentially forced on the black community. Nobody cares about white people feelings on the word "black". If the word of a color triggers them, than that is their problem.

Negro is not exclusive enough. I'm specifically talking about black Americans whom constitute a unique ethnic group akin to haratins.

You realize that Jesse Jackson was one of the most radical left-wing Presidential candidates ever to have any success?
He was very close to Bernie Sanders in his stated policies and opinions.

Soooo..what does that have to do with anything. Most black Americans are very socially conservative. They hate gays and Jews with a passion. They only vote democrat because so many of their males are disenfranchised that their community has been politically emasculated.

TIL about Haratin. OK, but I don't see what the point is.
But I agree that there should be some term that means "someone who is a descendent of African slaves brought to the USA, has some ancestors that continuously lived in the USA since being brought there as slaves, and looks like they have African ancestors and/or identifies with the language/culture of such people".
That is a culturally fairly unified group that includes people like Michelle Obama but excludes Barack Obama, recent immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, etc.

I'm just saying that referring to Jesse Jackson as a "puppet" of "the powers that be" ignores reality.

>their community has been politically emasculated.

In statistics African immigrants(black) are lumped in with "African Americans". So who are the actual African Americans? Not only that but "African-Americans" are actually on average 30% european, a uniquely American ethnic group via ethnogenesis. They could know no home but America, and are uniquely American products, they are truly all American at this point, and to attach them to Africa is disingenuous. Why don't white Americans call themselves European-Americans, and they have much closer ethnic and cultural ties to Europe than black Americans have to Africa? The average black American is far more deeply rooted in America than he average white American and does not deserve the bastardization that a hyphen brings.

the whole reason black people were so psyched about the president being black is because white people have historically been the ones running the democratic party

these white people (Ex: the clintons) gain power bc of black voters, but don't actually give a genuine shit about black people because they're not black

>Why don't white Americans call themselves European-Americans

my professors literally did this

ok but quit whining about how blacks a politically emasculated when we literally just had a black president

we should just simply call them Americans
link?

Probably just to prove a point.

It is not because Obama was elected that racism is over

Sometimes you do hear the word "European-American".
Again I think you are misunderstanding the hyphenation. It doesn't make an African-American any less American than it does an Irish-American.
There are people that just refer to themselves as "Americans" tout court, but they are mostly from the South and have lived in the USA for so many generations that they can't separate the different ethnic groups that are in their background. Also they have ceased to have any traditions in their family that are identifiably from the old country.

racism being over and black people not being emasculated are two different things user