How to make it

I'm majoring in hydrology/Water science and environmental engineering

what kind of jobs at which companies should i try to land ?

Thats a big moneymaker if you do it right. My father in-law has become a millionaire by making deals with qatar or something. Something something saudi-arabia. He was ceo of one of those water thingy companies. I'm not fully sure, but he's accumulated a lot of wealth.

thanks, any idea about how he started as a junior ? Or about his overall career

Nope, he doesn't talk a lot.

Hydrogeologist here.

That field has immense potential, but as of now, its still kinda dormant. is on the right track with the arab region, as well as the mediteran or anywhere else where you have lots of people and a lack of water, but currently it's a political and literal mine field. I had some nice gigs in greece, but guess how that ended. But if you wanna go for some high risk, high reward thing, that regions could definitely be something to look for.

But the most important skill (I learned that the hard way…) is to not be a shy, quiet guy. It surely is not the field for bragging showoffs, but you gotta do more than just quietly do your job.

what type of companies can you aim for as an hydrogeologist ? Is it easy to land a job for a foreign company with a decent degree at first ?

>some nice gigs in greece, but guess how that ended
the money dried up?

>hydrogeologist
I can name all seven oceans, how much more water do we need to know about than that? What a useless degree.

You don't get it, it's all about understanding soil structures, access to water and irrigation systems to give a few

What you think of is an oceanographer faggot

>what type of companies can you aim for as an hydrogeologist
Consultants and (civil) engineering companies. Big names would be URS and ERM.
>Is it easy to land a job for a foreign company with a decent degree at first
Got my first job at a company one tier smaller because I worked there as an intern during my studies.
Second round after greece was really hard however. Now I'm in academia.
It's probably not the most terrible discipline job wise, but you gotta work hard, and network!

>the money dried up?
I see what you did there…

>Oceans
>hydroGEOlogy
hurr,durr, I'm a stupid retard, look everyone, I can prove it!!!!!

Reading not your strong suit is it, waterboy? I'll reiterate (means to "say again"), there's literally NO point in digging in the ground (the opposite of what you're looking for) for water when we're surrounded by giant oceans of the stuff.

>well let me be totally ignorant retard over here
You do know the Netherlands is made by the Dutch right? They literally pumped out the water and filled it with land. Very fertile land.

thank you very much, I appreciate your help sincerely. I would be glad to keep in touch if you don't mind to drop a linkedin link at [email protected]

Ok, so you are either a weak troll or really stupid. Either way, fuck off.

Not into linked in and such. But I probably should at some point. Hence my suggestion that networking is very important.
But feel free to ask me some things you might wanna know.

So what was the point of draining the water if you're just going to put soil there right after? Ever hear of displacement? The retardation of the Dutch knows almost know bounds...

Do you suggest getting into student associations about environment/natural resources and things like that ?

Also where would you go look for internship offers ? for which type of positions ?

And if you have general advices about whatto aim for as a career (what is the next big thing in the sector ?)

Many thanks

Don't know if troll or for real. I aint falling for the bait.

>Do you suggest getting into student associations about environment/natural resources and things like that ?
Was never really a thing at the universities I was at in Europe, but at a short stay in Canada, this was a place where you always heard about internships and such, so I'd try to go for it.

>Also where would you go look for internship offers ? for which type of positions ?
Sometimes companies post those on their websites or at university message boards (the offline, paper kind). The position is likely "intern" and it'll depend on the company and your skills and motivation if that just means bringing the boss coffee or if you can tag along on real jobs or even take some responsibility.
You can almost always do some kind of unsolicited "job" application with most companies. Interns are really cheap and easy to get rid of if they suck, so the tend to hire those
much easier than real jobs.
Just see what relevant companies are in your area and write them something like
>started in this field, very motivated, blahblah, but I want to get exposure to the real world right at the beginning of my studies, and your companie is working on this fantastic project/issue/whatever, so I'd love to gain said real world exposure with you…
Or swindle your way into a tradeshow and approach interesting companies there.

>And if you have general advices about whatto aim for as a career (what is the next big thing in the sector ?)
If I only knew.
Climate change and related to that droughts and floods are definitely going to be a big issue, but as of now, I don't see any jobs hailing from that.

thanks, will look into URS (AECOM) and ERM. Feel free to add other smaller cap companies especially in Europe if you know some more ! (and maybe a website around this field where i could follow the news)

I don't know a good overview website, sorry.
Companies in Europe I can think of right now:
HPC (Germany), arcadis (Dutch I think, but pretty big in other countries), DHI (danish? but pretty international too), deltares (dutch), Royal HaskoningDHV (dutch, but very international), fugro (dutch, but very international) and probably many more.
Most of them do all kinds of engineering and not only water related things.
You could also look at large water users, like Coca Cola and such. They tend to have a handful of hydro people, but they outsource most work to companies like mentioned above.