twitter.com/AnonBabble

Threadly reminder that mercator is garbage

>Square fit
>Looks nice in a book
>Looks nice hung up on wall
>Good for sailing
>good for seeing latitude and longitude
You have shit taste, user.

Could someone explain what do the symbols, lines, and the symbols' positions, on that map, mean?

>rectangular fit
ftfy.

It makes navigating easier.

These threads are always a joy. I'll try to post some maps that haven't been posted lately.

Did you even read the post?

I want an explanation of the symbols, and signs. I already know that maps are for navigation.

Those are compass roses and the style of the map is known as the portolan chart. Drawing maps with those lines led to a much higher level of detail than present on maps before that. Although they do in many cases look very squiggly due to the methods used in charting them - basically, the cartographers charting the maps from sea connected the dots.

Well to be honest, I'm not sure if you could even call OP's map a portolan chart since it's a modern reproduction with the lines drawn over after. But the lines were used on portolan charts for accurate charting.

>god awful distortions
>is actually rectangular

plate carrée>>>mercator

Is this map from a childrens book or something? I mean it's clearly modern since it accurately describes the coastlines north of the polar circle.

Every map is rectangularish. Mercator makes a better square
>plate carrée
Depends. I wouldn't prefer for sailing or political maps. Mercator has that beat.

That's damn brilliant.

Let's keep to a certain standards and not post thumbnails and stuff edited in MS Paint.

autism

Yeah, but the aesthetics are great. '
Do we want more 'tism maps?

beautiful

why is the fucking flag of Portugal in Canada?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_and_Labrador
>"In 1499 and 1500, Portuguese mariners João Fernandes Lavrador and Pêro de Barcelos explored and mapped the coast, the former's name appearing as "Labrador" on topographical maps of the period. Based on the Treaty of Tordesillas, the Portuguese Crown claimed it had territorial rights in the area visited by John Cabot in 1497 and 1498. Subsequently, in 1501 and 1502 the Corte-Real brothers, Miguel and Gaspar, explored Newfoundland and Labrador, claiming them as part of the Portuguese Empire."

I don't get it, they didn't change anything for South America.

>Every map is rectangularish

What did he mean by this?