/celt/

Conas atá sibh?
Let's have a comfy Celtic thread where we talk about Celtic history, culture, languages and so on.
I'll start things off with some discussion of the Táin Bó Cúailnge. Has anyone here read it (in English or Irish)? Would you recommend it? I want to read it but I haven't yet; I figure I'll like it because I enjoyed the Greek classics at school but it'd be nice to hear opinions of fellow Veeky Forumstorians.
Also can anyone point me to a good resource for pre-Norman Irish weapons, clothing etc? I'm very interested to see what that stuff was like.
And one more question for my fellow people of Celtic descent: what do you think of the LARPers/wewuzzers/"plastic paddies"? I think they're harmless enough but I know some folks IRL who really hate them lol

Feel free to discuss anything else Celtic too, doesn't have to be just Gaelic, I just thought I'd get us started with that.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Average_European
youtube.com/watch?v=r_AJbEoArkU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law#Women_and_marriage
youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA
youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30
youtube.com/watch?v=H6czLfXMS6U
youtube.com/watch?v=Lwofb7-Ny5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All celtic lands belong to the Anglo-Saxon realm

Not to derail the thread, but this made me think of something:

Why is it that the modern Celtic languages, all in the western half of Europe, never developed along the lines of "Standard Average European"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Average_European

"Based on nine of the above-mentioned common features, Haspelmath regards French and German as forming the nucleus of the Sprachbund, surrounded by a core formed by English, the other Romance languages, the Nordic languages, and the Western and Southern Slavic languages. Hungarian, the Baltic languages, the Eastern Slavic languages, and the Finnic languages form more peripheral groups.[6] All languages identified by Haspelmath as core SAE are Indo-European languages. However, not all Indo-European languages are SAE languages: the Celtic, Armenian, and Indo-Iranian languages remain outside the SAE Sprachbund.[7]"

I can understand Armenian and Indo-Iranian not developing the features because they were so far away.

youtube.com/watch?v=r_AJbEoArkU

Bretony and Galicia say otherwise Germanic scum.

>breton
>ruled by the franks

>galicia
>ruled by the visgoths

Noice

bump

The Irish were the most Veeky Forums

True

I've heard that women had more freedom in Celtic society than in their contemporary counterparts. Is this true?

Is it selt or kelt? I'm arguing with my next door neighbour about it. He says its selt

"Selt" was far more common until the 1800s when some autist decided to pronounce it "kelt".

A general for a culture that has done literally nothing of interest. Good luck getting more than 40 replies.

>WE WUZ HIGH KANGZ N CAC

It's a Greek word, spelled with a kappa. The only reason that it's spelled with a "c" is that Irish doesn't have a "k". "C" is used for "k".

The custom of pronouncing a "c" as an "s" in front of "i" or "e" comes from French, which is irrelevant to this word.

There is the football team "Celtic" which is pronounced with an "s". Apart from that everyone pronounces it with a hard c.

Celtic mythology is one hell of a ride, in its general themes its typically Indo-European (most tales concern semi-divine warrior heroes, for example) but the levels of bombastic GAR the Celtic heroes get up to is way beyond the comparative "ultra realism" of Germanic and Greek mythology. Tain Bo Cooley is a good read, Y Mabinogion and the cycle concerning Finn McCool are also well worth a read. I read them in Celtic but a good English translation is fine too, you lose the poetry because Celtic uses a different approach to rhyme than English but the stories are fun and fast-paced.

>impling frenchs are franks

A selt is a kind of stone hand tool. It has always been Kelt, in every Celtic language, and in the oldest Greek mentions of "Keltoi".

It's not a Greek word, the Greeks first recorded it but the word is of Celtic origin like the other tribal names on Ptolomey's map.

my ancestors :)
what do anglo celts know about Castrense culture in west spain?

>I've heard that women had more freedom in Celtic society than in their contemporary counterparts. Is this true?
BREHON LAWS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brehon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Irish_law#Women_and_marriage

>Cáin Adomnáin, a Christian Law, promulgated by the Synod of Birr in 697, sought to raise the status of women of that era, although the actual effect is unknown.[13] Regardless, although Irish society under the Brehon Laws was male-dominated, women had greater freedom, independence and rights to property than in other European societies of the time. Men and women held their property separately. The marriage laws were very complex. For example, there were scores of ways of combining households and properties and then dividing the property and its increase when disputes arose.[citation needed]

>Divorce was provided for on a number of grounds (e.g. impotence or homosexuality on the husband's part), after which property was divided according to what contribution each spouse had made to the household. A husband was legally permitted to hit his wife to "correct" her, but if the blow left a mark she was entitled to the equivalent of her bride-price in compensation and could, if she wished, divorce him. Property of a household could not be disposed of without the consent of both spouses.[14]

>However, under Western Catholic church law, women were still largely subject to their fathers or husbands and were not normally permitted to act as witnesses, their testimony being considered "biased and dishonest".[15]

>A general for a culture that has done literally nothing of interest. Good luck getting more than 40 replies.
Back to your Protestant Mosque Mullah Cromwell.

Go stick your Anglican Jihad up your ass.

That's pretty cool. Another example of Christians ruining a good thing going on.

Cáin Adomnáin did the exact opposite of raise the status of women, it forbade them from fighting and reduced their status to the rest of Europe.

They're not celts thats for sure

The Romans were scandalized by the behavior of Celtic women, who spoke in public on their own behalf, could press suits in romance and in legal proceedings, could initiate divorce for any or no reason, and in manners was treated as the equal of the males. Some of this is probably exaggeration, the Romans loved to play up the supposedly scandalous aspects of foreign cultures, very like the Victorians did, (Carthagean child sacrifice, anyone?) but it's certainly true that women in Celtic societies had freedoms Roman women never had, even to the extent that a woman could raise and lead an army, as Bouddica did against the Romans, and as Cartimandua did on behalf of the Romans against her fellow Celts.

They're as Celtic as they are Germanic. They speak Latin, their law codes are derived from those of Rome, and their religion was brought by Rome and is still based there.

>Celtic is a language
Jesus fuck

>the French and Spanish are celtish
Nice one
I guess the Turks in central anatolia are also celtic

The majority of french and Spaniards have italo-Celtic as their majority genetic background.

>Carthagean child sacrifice, anyone?

They did sacrifice children though you filthy savage.

Fuck you. CARTHAGO DELENDA EST.

>being this deluded
The celts will always be irrelevant
Germanics, Italians, and Phoenicians will always rule Europe and the celts

>Phoenicians
>ruling Europe

Penis also dicke and balls

But it's the truth

I know you're probably just trying to get a rise out of people. But I'm just trying to inform you about the literal truth

Hell , Germany has more celtic DNA than it has old germanic. Let that sink in.

youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA

PS. Redpill me on Ogham Script, Veeky Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30

youtube.com/watch?v=H6czLfXMS6U

youtube.com/watch?v=Lwofb7-Ny5Y

Are you illiterate? Read what I wrote again you stupid ponce.

Is that what I said? No? Then get fucked, simpleton.

>briton4.jpg

What about the other 3?

I read it and had got diagnosed with cancer
Celtfags have been BTFO since the days of the Roman empire and will forever be ruled by non-celts
Stay mad cuck

kek they weren't 'celtic'
This one's a bogtrotter though

>football team

what a shit thread

>I read them in Celtic
>I never said Celtic was a language
What did he mean by this?

I'm fascinated by Celtic (specifically Irish mythology), especially due to the fact they don't seem to have a pre-Christian creation myth. But what I don't understand much are the invasions. Which group are supposed to represent gods, the Fomorians or the Tuatha Dé Danann?

>implying we aren't

French cuckvolution was a mistake