Historical family photo's

I'm interested to see the kind of stock that posts here on Veeky Forums

post any old family photo's; relatives from decades or centuries ago, name the conflict or an event like manifest destiny in America or the penal colonies in Australia etc

here's my Great Great Grandfather in the 1850's, the first photographed war, The Crimean War

He's British as I am, they obviously didn't have coloured photo's back then so you can't see the red on his jacket

I respect them too much to scan them in and post their image on the internet for attention

it's not for attention, you can't find photo's like this on the internet, it's more interesting when people post them and explain the story behind them, but ok be a fag

>be great great grandfather
>save up 8 years to buy a camera because it's your dream
>make the dream come true despite you being a farmer
>British soldiers stroll along
>destroy your camera for no apparent reason
>no pics

TLDR Y'ALL BRITS THE REASON I DIDN'T SEE MY ANCESTORS

poor Russian farmer

Im Egyptian

I probably shouldn't tell you then that my Great Great Grandfather on my mother side fought in the Anglo-Egyptian war

did this really happen?

hearsay over a great many generations is not verifiable, if you believe it then I suppose it's possible that you're just predisposed against us

Yes it did
And no I don't hate you for something your ancestors did

There are 2.
Did he fight during the one in mohammed ali Pashas reign or did he fight in urabis reign ?

well, it's regrettable that it happened of course, I'm sure those responsible had no idea or care what that camera represented to the man

possibly both, his medal is confusing, it's dated 1884-85, if you look it up it say's it was awarded for both conflicts so I'm not entirely sure, pic related is the medal

*similar, it's not the same medal

Probably the latter,the urabi campaign.
If your grandfather actually fought in the expedition of Sir mckenzie frizzer and returned alive he has unbelivable luck.in the frizzer expedition the brits marched into rashid (a city that was basically built to trap invasions incoming from alexandria).the natives shut all the gates when the brits all entered,and then completed to go apeshit on any brit they found.the urabi campaign was much easier since the brits had many people in the egyptian royal war command as spies and also could deploy troops in ismaelia through the suez canal and thus required the egyptians to split up to fight the forces coming from alexandria and ismaelia

thanks, I don't know much about these wars

Here's an engraving in a book one of my ancestor wrote about his diplomatic missions. I look quite a bit like him. Engraving is probably supposed to represent him when he did what he's talking about in the book, so 1830's.

All my ancestors were farmers who were pretty irrelevant I guess. I have no clue what they did.

all of them?

are you a farmer?

The only 2 relevant ancestors of mine lived in mohammed ali Pashas reign.one was a general in the levant the other was a thug who did the dirty work for the royalty

Fought in:
2nd Boer War
India (where he got his tattoos
WWI
WW2 (staff Sargent or some shit)

He looks like a bad-ass my man.

Dr. Thomas Michael Blackwell, Chaplain and head doctor for the 11th Mississippi Infantry. His eldest son was KIA at Gettysburg. I'm descendant through his younger son who was a partisan ranger.

First European ancestor to come to the United States, settled in South Carolina, was a member of the legislature.