Sorry if this doesn't seem relevant to the board, I just don't want to ask /pol/...

Sorry if this doesn't seem relevant to the board, I just don't want to ask /pol/. Is Turkey the most socially progressive country in the muslim world? Apparently homosexuality was made legal since the Ottoman Empire.

They have always been one of the most progressive countries in the world, not just as a "Muslim" country, but in general as well.

>Apparently homosexuality was made legal since the Ottoman Empire.
Yes it was legalised in 1858 by one the most progressive Sultans. They are still more conservative then western nations or places like Taiwan and Japan but certainly one of the more liberal Muslim countries. The most secular country would probably be somewhere like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan though.

Still seems like practices of other religions besides Islam or worse, atheism, are a social taboo.

>NON-MUSLIMS CAN PRACTICE FREELY
>as long as they pay a tax
I fucking hate this meme

If there weren't nationalists in 19th century, Ottoman Empire could still exist.

So you hate idea of secular state? This is the one of the earliest and biggest examples of it.

>Ottoman Empire
>secular

Jiyza in the Ottoman empire was historically levied in lieu of the obligations of Muslim subjects, e.g. military service.

What exactly is the problem? It was illegal to even be a Christian, or a Muslim, or a Jew in other places. It certainly isn't up to American religious freedom standards, but it is inarguably liberal in the same way that the Huns were, e.g. keep your culture, just pay us.

Muslims too have a specific tax to pay, plus non-muslims don't have to serve in the army.

>this doesn't seem relevant to the board
You should've stopped typing right there.

So why did ottomans kidnap Christian children to serve in their army if non-Muslim didn't need to serve in their army?

It wasn't kidnapping, the so called Devshirme system took Christian and Jewish boys from the poorer Anatolian parts of the empire (also other parts) and brought them to bigger cities like Istanbul, söğüt, Edirne and ankara.
Most of the parents actually wanted their children to take part in the Devshirme because a brighter future was in store for them.

>Most of the parents actually wanted their children to take part in the Devshirme because a brighter future was in store for them.
I absolutely love this meme.
"We were just liberating them from their boring peasant lives and giving them cool shit.
Yeah, somehow no one remembers how ecstatic they were to "send" their children to be jannisaries, in fact they sometimes maimed them or tatoo'd them to make them ineligible for service, but hey, jannisaries got dental, so it's all cool!"

>it wasn't kidnapping, it was kidnapping
>parents totally wanted their children to be taken away from them, be brainwashed into another religion and have them die in the Sultan's wars
is this what they teach in Turkey

That was pretty liberal/secularist for the day.

>State protection

Being a tiny minority in a large state this was your biggest blessing and something that made you sleep comfortably every night and the best thing you could ever hope for. Jews in Europe didn't know when local christians would sperg out and pogrom them because someone died of fever and they get accused for it. Europe was just one example, most other places of the era also had similar levels of intolerance to foreign (not local/integrated necessarily) minorities.

I don't have much doubt that this was on the better side for the children (And their families), what would've been a farmer for all his life became a rich soldier/official/officer, and he could reach back to his family and elevate them or give them money.

>not knowing anything about ottoman history
70% of the people in the Ottoman Empire that had high ranks derive from the Devshirme
Most of the viziers bought the land of their parents to ensure their income.

>b-but muslims had it bad too...
Christians were valuable assets to the Ottomans since they were used as their money dispensers, their population were stagnant because they were already being taxed to death and had their children taken away whenether they couldn't pay. On the other hand there's no shortage of muslims in the Ottoman Empire since they could many babies freely, along with the fact that some Christians would convert if they couldn't handle it. They could just send an entire army of muslims to die and they would have another formed in an instant.

This is a thinly veiled /pol/ thread, you are not interested in history, please do not post on Veeky Forums again

>you are not interested in history
I see the effect the Ottomans left on my country every day, I don't have to hear some Turk or ignorant westerner tell me about it.

>what would've been a farmer
Nothing wrong with that. Instead of kidnapping them the Turks could have just allowed people to choose to enlist on their own initiative.

>admitting bias

Why talk in historical matters if you have something obviously clouding your view/judgement?

>the turks should've used liberal standards from today

that's not how people in the past worked like bud

I'd rather be a peasant than getting a high rank from a roach by getting kidnapped and sodomized in the decedent Turkish court.

Yes, reality is biased alright

Well, they have been a Secular Republic since Ataturk founded the state, so religion isn't supposed to play a role in state matters. Still, they are a very conservative people and Nationalism is very prevalent there.

>The only alternatives to kidnapping Christian European villagers, brainwashing them into your awful religion and having them fight in your wars is liberalism
Trust me, many systems at the time were far better as far as this is concerned.

List them

Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, HRE, England..

>muh Devshirme
When will this meme stop? The recruitment of christian children was not a very common practice. Still, those children were chosen to occupy high positions, with good pay and good education. There are cases of Janissaries and judges, recruited from christian families, who in turn provided for their biologic parents after they had become state officials.

As far as I know those countries all had a homogeneous population and no demographics except very small jewish communities whom had no rights that regularly got massacred for random reasons

I know, that's why Europe was so Shit in those times

>As far as I know those countries all had a homogeneous population
None of those countries had a homogeneous population at the time.

Why'd you turkboyz conquer the European side of the ERE and attempt to conquer all of Europe if it was shit?

Yeah they had a bunch of buddhists, Jews, Muslims, Satanists and Hindus

No, they literally deny any wrongdoing in 3 separate genocides. They are literally /pol/ tier when it comes to genocide denial.

France wasn't a united identity, the Italian city states were still regional identities and controlled non-Italian land such as Venice controlling Slavs and Greeks, Spain to this day isn't a homogenous country and at the time controlled Dutch and Belgians.

All those nations controlled large diverse overseas empires. If you're counting Turkish subjects as part of the ottoman nation than no excuse exist to exclude amerindians or Africans from the Portuguese, French and Spanish nations of the time.

>muh identity

We're talking about faiths and religions here, don't off-course arguments. Europeans didn't have the tolerance of the ottomans (or most large civilisations) of the time. That's the thing we're discussing and it's clear as fuck and you can't deny it.

>kidnapping children of dirt farmers in bumfuck, nowhere, giving them an education, military training and a fast track towards a political career.
Yeah, that's terrible and inhuman.
Obviously the parents weren't okay with it, since they didn't know what awaited those kids. On the other hand actual Turks have for several centuries fought for the right to enlist their kids as janissaries.

>We're talking about faiths and religions here, don't off-course arguments.
We were talking about homogeneity. None of those places were homogeneous in any sense of the word sans having a more unified religion.

>we're talking about faith and religions
>I'm gonna go ahead and pull an argument out of my ass about a bunch of medieval European countries having tolerance
>I get refuted about most medieval countries having homogeneous faiths
>time to pull out my semantics card

lmao, every fucking time contrarians.

t. human cockroach

t. Subhuman cockroach