Whats hidden in the Amazon jungle?

"Hundreds of ancient earthworks resembling those at Stonehenge were built in the Amazon rainforest, scientists have discovered after flying drones over the area.

The findings prove for the first time that prehistoric settlers in Brazil cleared large wooded areas to create huge enclosures.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Spanish conquistadores ventured into the rainforest seeking fortune, followed over the centuries by others convinced they would find a lost civilisation to rival the Aztecs and Incas.

Some seekers called it El Dorado, others the City of Z. But the jungle swallowed them and nothing was found, prompting the rest of the world to call it a myth. The Amazon was too inhospitable, said 20th century scholars, to permit large human settlements.

Now, however, the doomed dreamers have been proved right: there was a great civilisation.

In the municipality of Calçoene in northern Brazil, a cattle rancher named Lailson Camelo da Silva found what would become known as the “Amazon Stonehenge.” It’s a series of 1,000-year-old stones that experts now believe to be a primitive observatory

The structures, many of which have been revealed by the clearance of forest for agriculture, point to a "sophisticated pre-Columbian monument-building society"

"This hitherto unknown people constructed earthworks of precise geometric plan connected by straight orthogonal roads. The 'geoglyph culture' stretches over a region more than 250km across, and exploits both the floodplains and the uplands … we have so far seen no more than a tenth of it."

Researchers know very little about this Amazonian civilization, so far, thanks to the pottery discovered during excavations, researchers were able to place the civilization in history around 2000 years ago.

Speaking to the NYTimes, Denise Schaan, an archaeologist at the Federal University of Pará in Brazil who now leads research on the geoglyphs, said radiocarbon testing indicated that they were built 1,000 to 2,000 years ago

Caral Supe also lived 2000years ago. It seems that they left their structures and city due to climate problems. Maybe it was a continental problem?

Oh shit they lived 2000BCE

I've heard some debate whether the Amazon was a third cradle of civilization in the Americas as pottery of civilization there dates back pretty far.

4000 years ago actually. It's actually a pretty damn interesting civilization and they left some decent sized and unique pyramids. They also found quipus within the ruins suggesting that the quipus predated the Incas.

El nino this year does do quite a lot of environmental damage. A strong enough el nino certainly could topple a civilization, especially one that is based on a fragile belief system.

As for the Amazon, the discovery of "Terra petra" suggests that the amazon was more active than previously thought.
You have to keep in mind that diseases from the old world devasted native populations in the new world with a 70 to 90% death rate, and even a near 99% rate when it came to certain tribes or ethnicities. Not only that but with the dissolution or collapse of the main governing bodies or states of the native people, there was also probably many deaths from that as any "law" or order or safety from other encroaching nations or people was suddenly gone with governing body or leader no longer there to enforce those rules or protect their people. There are records of tribes in the amazon displaying more complex social stratification than usual which could point to there having been a more organized and advanced society in the past which they may have been a part of.
Disease and the Spaniards may be well known for having obliterated the native people and civilizations in the new world, but the chaos that came from societies and trade coming apart due to disease as well as the harsh servitude to the Spanish that came afterward were also very devastating.
But seeing as the amazon doesn't have much to do with the Spanish, disease probably just wiped out the near majority of the people and with society having collapsed from that, the jungle grew back over whatever they had built over time and the survivors just probably went mad max.

>quipus
It's pretty well known that the spanish and the backstabbing Atahualpa destroyed all quipus records and killed artisans alongside elites on Cusco.

Didn't Chileans do the same with rongorongo? I recall them killling the priests, and the only people who could read it.

Yeah.
>YWN fully know tahuantinsuyo's history

bumping with interest

Clearly rusty props and engine pieces from the space plane that brought our people from Jupiter. Cool stuff!

>thanks to the pottery

That's ducking standard archeology, why shit-tier rag did you copy this from?

Alternatively if it's yours good job but try not to explain the obvious so much and focus on why this site is unique.

underground cities

>primative observatory

We wuz astrophysicists n sheet.

>tfw sp*niards destroyed an entire continent's worth of civilisation and culture

Oh look it's fucking nothing

Any other cultures that made observatories?

All Neolithic cultures in Europe

Why do you think they were observatories?

Astronomers think they were

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta
The Amazon apparently held a big civilization, which disappeared thanks to European diseases

it's more likely for there to have been life on the moon I say

>some rocks piled up
>We wuz advanced civilization the whitey stol our knowledge and magic powers we built space ships to the moon n shiet!
Every fucking time.

Which boils down to
>gib free monei gib reparations gib affirmative action
>gib gib gib

Francisco Orellana was the first euro explorer to sail down the length of them amazon from Peru. His chaplain on the voyage Gadpar de Carvajal wrote an account of it. From the excerpts I read its sorta spooky. He speaks of tribes thousands strong along the river some of whom attacked. Reninded me of heart of darkness desu. His account was thought to be exaggerated but these discoveries you cite may confirm that carvajal wasnt joking about the dense population he encountered on hos voyage. Maybe i can find excerpts somewhere

Why are you on Veeky Forums?

He accidentally clicked on /int/ or /hc/.

Is it possible for a /pol/tard to be cured?

Only niggers and retards say that.

My people are busy working and getting drunk every night :(

did you mean to give me a (you) or was it for the post above me

DAT booty T H I C C