Bizzarely interesting History books

What are some history books that detail bizarre or incredibly unique stories throughout history that you think more people should read?

Pic related. It's pretty funny how this guy just kept getting away with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bfcjH3W4Vbc
pastebin.com/aXX0UK8x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you just wanted to talk about the book you like and how great you are for reading it. tell me more about yourself op, what is your favorite color, a deeper blue by any chance?

Not OP, but damn are you insecure.

East Side Story. The documentary on Soviet and East German musicals is pretty good.

OP clearly wants to talk about more obscure bits of history that are still interesting.

nah the first poster was right. OP is obviously looking for attention.

Guns Germs and Steel

for me, its pic related. its about hungarian from romania who sneaks himself into hungary(slightly more free than romania in those days) and works a variety of odd jobs (pelt smuggler, ice rink janitor, back up goalie) before eventually settling on a life of bank robbing. his robberies were known for him being piss drunk on whiskey, never harming anybody, outlandish disguises, and getting away with it for ages. became a robin hood like figure in hungary.

he wants to draw attention to the book to encourage people to read it, idiot baiter

You have issues.

A bloodless war over the San Juan Islands between the US and British Canada in 1859. All started by two farmers had a dispute over a fucking dead pig.

The Paddy was in the wrong. the pig was eating the farmer's potatoes

Part arctic expedition, part true crime murder mystery.

Expeditions of all kinds is probably my favorite sub-genre. I don't understand why it's not more populat. Some of these adventures are incredible. For stories like these we're interested in history.

South Pole expeditions are probably the best and my favorite is Scott's final journey. This book written by one of its members was called the best adventure novel by National Geographic. There are some more contemporary like Scott's Last Quest, The Coldest March or books written by Sir Ranulph Fiennes but I'd stay away from anything written by Ronald Huntford.
Also I recommend reading about Shackleton.

And the story of NASA. If this doesn't seem like an obscure topic try starting a thread about it. Impossible.

Really interesting look into Emperor Meiji and how he was as a person and Japan under him and reveals a lot about Meiji himself.

>I don't understand why it's not more populat.
I guess it's the same thing that make some people want to climb mountains while others just think they're crazy. The books also tend to be roller coasters, so if the author isn't also a good storyteller, the down times can be hard reading.

I haven't read Worst Journey in the World yet but did just finish The Beckoning Silence, which was also made into a very good documentary, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=bfcjH3W4Vbc

The eternal Hibernian strikes again.

Apparently Newton went on to run the British Mint after he gave up on alchemy and he basically saved Britain from a monetary collapse at the same time he was investigating counterfeiters and having them put to death.

Pretty badass.

Does modern enough history count? Because this shit is bananas.

It's pretty much predicted everything that plagues our nations today. I was skeptical at first, but the more I learn the more I understand it has to be real.

>the more I learn
Watching YT videos and reading alt-right blogs isn't learning.

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I just ordered it.

LMAO

perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask because its what the OP was looking for but is there any good books on south africa and what lead to Apartheid happening and the effects after it ceased?

The Wildest Dream is good though I'm more familiar with the excellent docudrama. A good medium for these stories. Beyond the Edge might be my favorite.

check this book list out
pastebin.com/aXX0UK8x

Nathaniels Nutmeg: the story of English and Dutch rivalry in the Banda Islands to monopolise the trade in nutmeg and how the Island of Run was eventually traded for the Island of Manhatten.

lmao what a loser you are

This was actually a good read.
>mfw perfidious albion isn't a meme

The journals of Vidocq defy belief. Prolific con man and criminal who went on to become one of France most celebrated detectives. He gives a fascinating insight into life on the margins during the Napoleonic period. The character of Valjean from Les Mis is based on him.

'perfidious albion' has been in circulation as a phrase for well over a century. I'd say its a meme.

Bump

I'm a poor pathetic faggot, does anyone have any Epubs (any file really) of these I could download?
Thanks a lot

quality troll desu

Probably the only unbiased account of the later stages of the Indian Wars that you'll ever see.

Utterly disproves the "noble savage" trope, but not in a racist /pol/ sort of way at all.

The most interesting thing about the Pig War is that the US commander for six months of the standoff was one George Pickett.

And now you know, the rest of the story!

>more controversial than Idi Amin

Anyone have a download link for these?

Yeah, let's ridicule one of the few posts that isn't memes or racism

What a great board

7/10 bait, made me squint my eyes

I've lived in Seattle my whole life and I never heard about this.

el bumperoo kangaroo

there's also a Newton £1 note in commemoration

Downloaded. Thanks.

Found the guy who doesn't read books

Wow so obscure such great read.

That's not really what controversial means, I think when something is controversial, it means the thing in question tends to be conflicted over. One can argue if Ian Smith was bad or good. Idi Amin illicits a pretty universal feeling of "wow he sucks, even for an African dictator".