What exactly is wrong with slavery?

Since the 1970s we've been seeing a meteoric rise in insecure low paid / zero hour contract jobs because it increases corporate profits.

So why not take it a step further and just not pay your employees anything? Its worked for a good part of 5000 years of human history before the industrial revolution, hasn't it?

It's inefficient

Its dehumanizing, both for the slaves and for the slave masters.

I mean shit, nigga... do you even know how many people are willing to work for free just to get experience? Companies are building their entire business models to take advantage of this cheap and voluntary indentured servitude. A full time job with pension is a luxury of the past now, exclusive only to boomers who were lucky to have them.

Working for room and board in exchange for being harder to fire actually seems like a reasonable compromise these days...

I'd happily go work on a farm if they gave me a cuckshed with an internet connection and good food.

>"its dehumanizing"

it was perfectly normal to have slaves (even as young as 10 yo) for a good part of 5000 years of human history before the industrial revolution.

Human rights are a relatively modern concept.

Because then they can't buy anything.

Only the lower classes would be enslaved. The middle and upper classes would be the primary generators of growth and consumption.

Tbh I'd just kill you by slowly poisoning you with hemlock or killing your family/subtly destroying your property.

You'd have to sleep sometime

We'll be there soon. Universal basic income + free labour.

>Human rights are a relatively modern concept.

How does this change what he said?

In my country (Poland) unpaid work is typical for young people. You work your ass off promised that your work will give you essential experience for future professional career.

People fall for it, so it becomes more and more common. It is however technically still a voluntary work, which makes it different from slavery.

You say that because you've never worked on a farm

Boom, you answered your own question.
>enslave the lower classes so they work for free
>middle classes can't find jobs because they demand payment whereas slaves can't
>the majority of your population is now starving

This is LateRepublic.exe, it didn't work then and it won't work now.

>>So why not take it a step further and just not pay your employees anything?
because it is easier for liberals to turn the convicts into slaves, especially since liberals put more and more people in their prisons

user, if you don't pay your employee why would they work for yoi?

Literally no employer (with VERY VERY few exceptions) offers defined benefit retirement plans.

Almost all offer defined obligation retirement plans in the form of a company match to an employees 401k contribution.

The reason is twofold: a. It simplifies accounting for the company who doesnt have to estimate things like pension cost and post employment lifetime of the employees and b. It puts the risk of not having enough money in retirement on the employee rather than the employer.

Mainly experience to put on your resume to then be qualified for a full time paid position. Basically what millions of interns do every year.

Also could be paid in other ways other than a salary - retirement match, meals, health insurance, gym memberships could all be considered employer benefits that aren't salary.

working on a farm can be a damn hard, stressing and monotone job with very unsure prospects of the future

many places are very very strict about internship and especially unpaid internship. some places stipulate that your business can't benefit from unpaid interns so any work you have them do essentially has to be tossed. It's not an ideal prospect for a lot of business.

It's not really slavery if they agree i think

Because it costs more to give room and board plus paying guards to control no employee escapes than it is to give them a trinket pay and let them figure shit out.

dumb frogposter

Hmm.. ive never heard that work that interns do needs to be tossed. Especially since all work you do for most corporations is the property of the company. Any spreadsheet, framework or model you create while employed with a company is the property of the company and you re not allowed to take it with you to another employer.

You can use what you ve learned and then rebuild the models at the next employer starting from scratch. But you can't email the docs to yourself and just rename them and have a new model.

I dont see why interns work would be any different.

>middle classes can't find jobs because they demand payment whereas slaves can't

No. They will be doing highly skilled jobs such as in engineering, science, management, consultancy, law and banking. All the pleb tier jobs will be automated.

>Any spreadsheet, framework or model you create while employed with a company is the property of the company and you re not allowed to take it with you to another employer.

Does that mean my employer owns every comment I type on Veeky Forums while at work?

Shieeett...I just realized I could potentially sue my employer for incitement of racial hatred on /pol/ and distribution of cp on /a/

not if you print your own currency for them to spend in your own factory shop.

Farming is harder than you think my man.

>Implying that getting paid means that people aren´t slaves.
>A paid worker is doing the same thing as a slave, hard work.
>Todays workers are working more than they have free time for themselves. Sleeping doesn´t count as free time, because you have to be awake to actually do something with your time.
>The slavery of today is what i call moderate slavery. No whips, no starvation.
>The money people get is actually helping them to work. Without money they can´t afford food and without food they can´t work.

>What exactly is wrong with slavery?
It's dreadfully inefficient. In fact, it's inefficient for the same reasons the current wage cutting is.
The only way it works long term is if there's an external source of wealth for a society (like loot in antiquity). Slavery and servitude in general stifle prosperity and growth immensely. Once you get to the point where your work only nets you sustenance, your economy is only worth the production of said sustenance. A small upper class can't support consumption for a big economy. There's a reason the modern world was built upon the middle class.

Try that and see where it gets you.

There are many things horrible with slavery.

BUT the reason it's not used by our masters is because it would cause rebellions and unrest.

People have shown time after time that they're easier to tame when given false hope than when told the hard truth.

Sure, there's essentially zero chance for a working class member of a capitalist society to make it into the middle class, but if you sell your story right they will believe you and work hard and long on their own without pay just in case they make it.

Homer simpson memeposting on Veeky Forums (a site you shouldn't be on during work hours to begin with) probably does not constitute proprietary information that your employer would be interested in (although he may very well be interested in the fact that you are surfing the web during work hours....).

On the other hand, a powerpoint presentation entirely built by you, and delivered by you to your manager, containing information your employer would be interested in, would be considered proprietary information of the company.

Same for any spreadsheet you create on excel that has a business purpose.

Now, there are loopholes. As the creator, you could probably create it again, but you would have to start from scratch. You couldn't covertly send yourself an email with the spreadsheet as an attachment to your personal email, rename it at your new place of work, and use the 'new' model.

don't know why the work made by an intern would not be considered proprietary as well.

Gg social mobility; if your family have ever been poor you would have done badly in this system- it would completely undermine the need for quality education and civil liberties, as well as create a legal imbalance-awful and I say that as a British guy from a very wealthy family

>BUT the reason it's not used by our masters is because it would cause rebellions and unrest.

>what happened to Spartacus

>dae feel like a slave amirite?

Slavery is not simply working for nothing but food/board or even working for free.

Slavery also means being compelled to work with, or against, your will. It means being property with very limited property rights of your own. And it also means your employer is your owner.
Saying this is the same as voluntary work taken for exp, or zero hours contacts, is misleading. You can leave a zero hours contract, you can stop volunteering if it's not worth your time. You can just train as a nurse or teacher or plumber instead if you want to. A slave has no agency, and furthermore if your boss doesn't need you anymore he will sell you to someone else to do work you have no choice in under conditions you don't consent to. Or arbitrarily change the conditions you currently work under.

It cost too much money to keep humans alive. Thats why only wealthy white people had slaves.

>What exactly is wrong with slavery?
I don't know, depriving humans of their own humanity, maybe?

you can't stop volunteering whenit's your survival that is at stake

Wage slavery already exists my duderino. Lots of people are too poor to leave their job at McDicks and pursue higher education.

Literally nothing wrong with cheap labor. Pajeets confirm.

Slaves are generally not useful at many things besides manual labor since they require education and training, which tends to lead towards the slaves getting funny ideas. This means that generally speaking you are losing almost all the potential use of that percentage of the population besides using them as a labor force. So it is better to let people separate themselves into what use they can provide.

People work better when they are happier and people don't work very well if they are owned by other people.

Kek. Employers don't care if you are happy or not if your job is easily automated or replaceable by someone else.

all those minimum wage bitch jobs are going to be automated within 20 years anyways.
they're just gonna slowly sterilize all the poor people through the water system and wait for them all to die off so that they can have their fully automated luxury communism.

>communism
>killing off all the poor
?

>Hurr durr why not just suck your boss dick cause muh survival.
Weak cunts. You enable your exploitation. Why not fight it instead and organize? Death is a better alternative than eternal slavery.

>it's inefficient
But slave plantations had greater yields per hectare and per laborer than free farms. The myth that it's inefficient comes from mechanized farming vs. pre-mechanized farming.

ok, and?

absolutely nothing.

That's pretty much what happened in communist countries, millions of poor hungry suckers had to die off so the communist state could maintain a semi-decent set of living standards for the survivors.

You can either pay your employee however much an hour, or you can pay him nothing and then need to arrange for him to be fed, clothed, housed, etc.

It's considerably more logistics, why not just give them tokens they can redeem as they please and let them do all the hard work of finding the best deal (or not)? Why would a company want to shoulder the necessity of employing people to do all the things people normally do with their paychecks?

The US military is modern day indentured servitude

Slaves are harder and more expensive to mantain than wageslaves.

Already been tried, it didn't work.

No