Celts and shit

Did my DNA thing and I'm 97% Scottish and Irish (Inb4 shit race) and I was wondering how genetically distinct Scottish and Irish people were from Gauls, Britons, and other continental celts. Further, was their culture or religion similar at all, like would they have the same gods but with slightly different names?

Side question, as celts and italics (and even Greeks) are pretty similar (sharing a recent common PIE ancestor) would the Romans have similar gods to them? Is that why they didn't write much on them?

Kek shit tier faggot

>how genetically distinct Scottish and Irish people were from Gauls, Britons, and other continental celts.

From my knowledge not much at all. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though

>Further, was their culture or religion similar at all, like would they have the same gods but with slightly different names?

Very similar. Britain was considered the hub of druidism to a large extent, although the Gauls had some druid thing in the Parisi territory as well. One thing to note is warfare wise, the Britons still used chariots while Continental Celts had stopped.

>Side question, as celts and italics (and even Greeks) are pretty similar (sharing a recent common PIE ancestor) would the Romans have similar gods to them? Is that why they didn't write much on them?

Similar enough where the Greeks and Romans would just call the Celtic gods who they felt they were in their own pantheons.

Overall with religion it's rather hard to tell. Celts had a taboo on writing so we don't know much about their religion and they weren't as unified of a culture as one would assume.

>I was wondering how genetically distinct Scottish and Irish people were from Gauls, Britons, and other continental celts.

I don't know anything about their genetics, but the "continental" and "insular" Celts are on different linguistic sub-branches of the Celtic branch, so presumably there was a genetic break as well.

>Further, was their culture or religion similar at all, like would they have the same gods but with slightly different names?

Yes, the various Indo-Europeans had similar mythologies/theologies until the rise of the Vedas created Hinduism and Christianity took over Europe.

>Side question, as celts and italics (and even Greeks) are pretty similar (sharing a recent common PIE ancestor) would the Romans have similar gods to them? Is that why they didn't write much on them?

Greeks aren't Italics, but yes, the Indo-Europeans had very similar religions. Also, who didn't write about whom?

Not closely related at all, continental Celts are mostly Yamnaya while insular Celts are mostly aboriginal Old Europeans.

AFAIK I don't remember any Roman sources on Celtic religion. Not in de Bello gallico that I remember.

And yeah I get that they had similar religions with more or less the same gods and rituals and stuff, but I feel like it's hard to call it similar given what we know of Irish myth. And that's just celts and Greco-Roman gods who are way more similar to each other than slavs and Germanics.

Got anything on druids? I took a history of Ireland course in college and from what I remember, druids are more of a social caste of learned nobles more than a shamanistic gig.

And yes, that's another thing the DNA test said: I'm made up of like 40% pre-celtic DNA. Got anything on those guys? Were they exclusively hunter-gatherers or did they have some material culture worth looking at?

Barry cunliffe has some stuff on druids but it isn't much at all. They did serve religious/ritualistic purposes but also laws. Definitely not shamanistic to my knowledge

There was some atlantic pre IE culture. I think Barry cunliffe has written on that as well.

>Side question, as celts and italics (and even Greeks) are pretty similar (sharing a recent common PIE ancestor)

lol

>Similar enough where the Greeks and Romans would just call the Celtic gods who they felt they were in their own pantheons.

Are you aware that Romans and Greeks did the same thing with Phoenician, Iberians and other Non Indoeuropean Gods too, right?

The fact hat they equated their Gods means nothing.

They were Neolithic farmers related to Sardinians and (to a lesser degree) Iberians

Not the OP, but possibly Basque-type peoples?

They of course were the fringe barbarians that fill the role of the rising action or peril that serves to drive the main plot

>Side question, as celts and italics (and even Greeks) are pretty similar (sharing a recent common PIE ancestor) would the Romans have similar gods to them?

Celts and Italics have a very recent common ancestor, this is partly why Latin replaced Gallic across modern France, the languages were already fairly similar so it was easy for a Celt to pick up Latin. The two have no recent ancestor with Greek, tho, the Greeks are one of the oldest branches of IE while Italics and Celts are among the youngest. In terms of religion, there are many commonalities between the religions of all the Indo European peoples from Ireland to India, however these are commonalities of deep symbolism and not of the details such as individual gods. The Romans in fact commented on many aspects of Celtic religion they found strange or alien, the use of Latin names for the Celtic gods was a matter of official state policy (intepretario Romana) and shouldn't be taken to literally.

To be fair, for Phoenicians, their gods were identified with Titans from my knowledge (like Ba'al was Kronos/Saturn). I think that's significant enough to note. It's not like he was being compared to with Zeus.

The only one I know identified with a god is Aphrodite, but that's because Aphrodite originated as the Phoenician Astarte.

I would think so, but honestly I don't know too much apart that area at that time period. It's on my list.

They were hunter-gatherers who moved into the islands after the last ice age (~10,000BC). They built Stonehenge and the various barrow mounds and fairy hills across Britain and Ireland, also, Elfshot is actually their flint arrowheads. They adopted agriculture twice, firstly from neolithic Anatolians, then again from the Indo Europeans, from whom they also adopted the Celtic languages and culture. Survivals of their culture may include the Druids, a caste of priest-scholars who were based in north Wales but who were apparently widely respected and honored across the Celtic world, and the fairy races of Insular mythology (the tautha de, etc etc).

>the Phoenician Astarte.

Herself merely a local variant of Babylonian Ishtar, who in turn is the Sumerian goddess Inanna.

No, Stonehenge and almost all megalithic structures in the British isles were made by Neolithic farmers genetically similar to modern day Sardinians

Genetic studies have reached that conclusion a few years ago

ba'al was identified with zeus and both use similar motifs. El was indentified with Kronos

Sorry for quoting Wikipedia but quickest and most summarized source I could find.

>"Theinterpretatio graecaidentified [Ba'al] the TitanCronus. Inancient Rome, he was identified withSaturn, and the cultural exchange between Rome and Carthage as a result of theSecond Punic Warmay have influenced the development of the festival ofSaturnalia"

Also, anything I've read has had El associated with Poseidon.

A druidic class seems to fall in line with Indo-European society though.

If it means anything (and I'm not sure it does) my paternal haplogroup is most common amongst Basques and my maternal is most common amongst lapplanders.

Correct, I was just saying that Aphrodite was taken from the Phoenicians by the Greeks. I didn't want to go down that whole road.

Celts woshipped several Pan Celtic Gods like Dagodevos / Daghda, Taranis, Lug, Ogmios, Esus, and they worshiped their own tribal God .