You have 10 seconds to name one significant ancient Roman contribution to the world

You have 10 seconds to name one significant ancient Roman contribution to the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=HscIwvtkq2UC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=Romans invented triage&source=bl&ots=PSliskvEiv&sig=I2dyFpFk8a4mfGq6vdQmJciho1g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL5s_5ws_UAhXFFz4KHfRGAfwQ6AEIRDAE#v=onepage&q=Romans invented triage&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Juris_Civilis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_laws
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acta_Diurna
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Roman_Empire
youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This wonderful latin script we widely use, (if you discount those infernal slav runes and the far corners of the barbarous earth)

History

The alphabet you're currently shitposting with.

Wow yeah, writing in this arbitrary alphabet rather than a different one sure changed the world. Also what an amazing achievement by the Romans to learn how to write while fucking up Greek letters.

lol what

Roman achievements so far: 0

greek letters are ghastly though

A legal code that serves as the basis for most Western governments.

The minuscule script we use isn't even Roman but Carolingian French.

The popularization of republics for national governments was pretty nice.

And the widespread use of arches and concrete for shit.

The Napoleon codex?

Sorry to break this to you, but...

Pretty good concrete.

Both those things already existed before Rome though.

Toilet pipes?

Medical triage, professional standing armies, theories of political hegemony and division of power, civic codified law for pretty much all of Europe, distinctions between civil law and criminal law, and formation of European identity, just off the top of my head.

That's Greek.

Plumbing already existed in Greece, India, China, even the Indus Valley.

The Greeks used republics for city-states, and they weren't really well suited for nations.

The system of consuls, senate, and tribunes is a lot closer to the system that modern republics use.

It's a common saying that the Romans invented nothing but improved everything, republicanism would be one good example of that.

And the Napoleon codex was partially based on Roman Corpus Juris Civilis.

Then you got me, what did they invent?

>That's Greek.
The Romans improved it.

Christianity?

Law.

That's retarded, anyone could've had laws

>Medical triage
Isn't that just basic common sense? I can't even find anything connecting it to Rome.

>professional standing armies
Sumer already had those, not to mention the Greeks of course.

>theories of political hegemony and division of power
No idea what you're referring to here, but given that Rome has no notable philosophers I doubt it.

>civic codified law for pretty much all of Europe
That was Napoleon...

>distinctions between civil law and criminal law
Hardly relevant and I don't think even true.

>formation of European identity
lol no, what the fuck. Rome didn't even cover most of Europe.

A network of roads and aquaducts used to this day, education systems that would later be the norm throughout Europe and America, the Latin Alphabet, the Julian Calendar, Christianity, the normalization of regular bathing, glass windows, arches, etc.

inb4 "crude versions of those already existed ergo they don't count"

also, saged and reported for being a duplicate thread

>Being this dumb.

Seems pretty marginal.

Which isn't ancient Roman, but Byzantine Greek.

Well, nothing so far as far as I can tell.

That's Jewish and partially Greek.

Infrastructure.

>OP deliberately ignoring stuff
>Deliberately acting like a retard so he can say "nah dey aind REAL invensiuns"
We've all been had.

Almost all historical developments are marginal.

>Rome has no notable philosophers

Obviously not nowadays we're talking Ancient Rome here

>Seems pretty marginal.

Was more significant that you think.

>Isn't that just basic common sense?
Ok, you're an army surgeon, using only your "common sense" tell me which people of a selection of hundreds of wounded are going to die no matter what you do, which ones are saveable but only if you act quickly, and which ones only need something for the pain. You have 15 seconds.
>I can't even find anything connecting it to Rome.
You're not looking very hard.
books.google.com/books?id=HscIwvtkq2UC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=Romans invented triage&source=bl&ots=PSliskvEiv&sig=I2dyFpFk8a4mfGq6vdQmJciho1g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL5s_5ws_UAhXFFz4KHfRGAfwQ6AEIRDAE#v=onepage&q=Romans invented triage&f=false

>Sumer already had those, not to mention the Greeks of course.
No, they didn't. There is no evidence of Sumeria having a professional army at all. Sparta had a professional army, but not a standing one. Try again.

>No idea what you're referring to here, but given that Rome has no notable philosophers I doubt it.
Yes, we've already established that you're very stupid. Try looking up guys like Cicero and Cato, who wrote about (among other things) why it's important to divide powers for reasons of internal stability.

>That was Napoleon...
I find it hilarious that on one hand you're decrying Roman professional armies because Greece did it first, but claiming that Napoleon came up with the first codified law set.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Juris_Civilis

>Hardly relevant and I don't think even true.
It is entirely relevant you fuckwit. You really don't think the notion of there being a difference between the state getting involved in a dispute and just handling a dispute between private citizens is important? See the above link. Then kill yourself.

>lol no, what the fuck. Rome didn't even cover most of Europe.
So what? Every European power for literally millennia afterwards tried to set themselves up at the legitimate successors to Rome, even places where it never went to, like Russia and Germany.

The aqueduct

This, I hope this "Romans invented nothing" meme doesn't get out of hand, it started yesterday in a thread and now people are just shut posting it as its own thread.

OP doesn't even try to define what a "roman" is in this context so we can more accurately state inventions of the romans.

>everything the Romans improved upon isn't Roman
>everything Roman that others improved also isn't Roman
saged

>A network of roads and aquaducts used to this day
lmao what the actual fuck, you seriously think Roman roads and aqueducts are still being used?

>education systems that would later be the norm throughout Europe and America
Rome didn't even have an education system, all it had was rich kids getting private tutoring from Greek slaves.

>the Latin Alphabet, the Julian Calendar
So they learned to write and count days. Truly amazing.

>Christianity
Now you're getting really desperate.

>the normalization of regular bathing
Oh lord... People bathed long before Rome.

>glass windows
Appeared in Egypt.

>arches
Date back to the Mesopotamians.

No need to be so butthurt, I'm genuinely curious if there are any significant Roman achievements, but it doesn't look like it.

>Veeky Forums doesn't know about aquaducts
aquaducts, a calender that ours is based on, concrete

Take that back malaka

An attitude towards civilization that inspired ever subsequent great nation.
There is a reason Germans had their Kaisers and Russians their Tzars.
The Founders took inspiration from the Roman Republic.
Romans weren't particularly inventive, no one apart from modern Northern Europeans have been though.

Okay, using your own insane criteria, has any civilization invented anything ever?

also: saged

Brass.
Crank handle.
Glass blowing.

Romans didn't invent infrastructure I'm afraid.

I'm rejecting posts that are blatantly false, it's not my fault you post without checking your facts first.

Not really, I can name plenty of massive breakthroughs in plenty of cultures, like Mesopotamians, Greeks, French, British... for example all the things falsely attributed to the Romans ITT.

Can you name one Roman school of philosophy? You can't.

And the sanitation

Not him, but holy fuck yes Roman roads are still being used today. The Via Appia? The Via Aemilia? Route Nationale 7 in France? Have you not heard of any of them?

The newspaper.

>the newspaper
op btfo

>Not really, I can name plenty of massive breakthroughs in plenty of cultures, like Mesopotamians, Greeks, French, British... for example all the things falsely attributed to the Romans ITT.
No you can't. They're all marginal or built off of other people.

OP is either a good troll or a legitimate retard holy shit.

Hurr durr, other civilizations had copper and zinc, ergo the Romans didn't invent brass.

Hurr durr other civilizations grabbed things, therefor they didn't invent crank handles.

Hurr durr, other civilizations blew on glass to cool it down, ergo Rome didn't invent glass blowing.

t. the OP

>Not really, I can name plenty of massive breakthroughs in plenty of cultures, like Mesopotamians, Greeks, French, British... for example all the things falsely attributed to the Romans ITT.

Then fucking do it.

>I'm rejecting posts that are blatantly false, it's not my fault you post without checking your facts first.
t. knows he's wrong but doesn't dare to admit it

>You're not looking very hard.
Maybe next time try reading the link you post, which makes no mention whatsoever of Romans "inventing triage".

>No, they didn't.
>The first possible record of a standing army is the army of Sumer in Mesopotamia, recorded on the Stele of the Vultures between 2600 and 2350 BC.
>Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria (ruled 745–727 BC) created Assyria's first standing army.[3][4]
>The first known standing armies in Europe were in ancient Greece and Macedon. The male citizen body of ancient Sparta functioned as a standing army

>Cicero and Cato, who wrote about (among other things) why it's important to divide powers for reasons of internal stability.
Oh so what you're talking about is separation of powers. That was already written about by Aristotle.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Juris_Civilis
> issued from 529 to 534 by order of Justinian I, Eastern Roman Emperor.

>Every European power for literally millennia afterwards tried to set themselves up at the legitimate successors to Rome
So?

Here's a tip: when you're this much of a historically illiterate meme-lord, try not to embarrass yourself further by being a pretentious insufferable faggot on top of it all.

First built by the Minoans.

>everything Roman
You haven't been able to name a single fucking thing.

NOT
ONE
THING

>no one apart from modern Northern Europeans have been though.
lol what the fuck? I suppose Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks, Jews, French, and British are all Scandinavians now?

I have listed for every single thing ITT who actually invented it.

>You haven't been able to name a single fucking thing.

>NOT
>ONE
>THING
the newspaper

>Maybe next time try reading the link you post, which makes no mention whatsoever of Romans "inventing triage".
Yes it does, you dimwit. Page 157.

>The first possible record of a standing army is the army of Sumer in Mesopotamia, recorded on the Stele of the Vultures between 2600 and 2350 BC.
Now where does it say they were professional troops?
>Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria (ruled 745–727 BC) created Assyria's first standing army.[3][4]
Same problem.
>The first known standing armies in Europe were in ancient Greece and Macedon. The male citizen body of ancient Sparta functioned as a standing army
Sparta's army was very much not a standing one, since they returned to Sparta and disbanded to reform on campaign. Show me when the Spartans were standing assembled for a prolonged peacetime deployment. Same for Macedon.

>Oh so what you're talking about is separation of powers. That was already written about by Aristotle.
No it wasn't.

> issued from 529 to 534 by order of Justinian I, Eastern Roman Emperor.
ROMAN Emperor. And of course, it was not the first codified Roman bit of law.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_laws

>So?
So why would all these people LARP as being Roman rulers if the cultural impact of Rome and its empire wasn't central to European political legitimacy and identity?

>Here's a tip: when you're this much of a historically illiterate meme-lord, try not to embarrass yourself further by being a pretentious insufferable faggot on top of it all.
Pot, meet kettle. I especially like how you mine wikipedia for comments but don't actually cite the articles themselves, just take individual lines in them out of context, especially since you clearly don't understand them.

>heh if I ignore all the posts or make up retarded excuses I can keep the Roman score at 0

Literally fucking kill yourself. You are a grade a faggot and a retard to boot. You've ignored everyone's contributions or deflected them with retarded excuses. You've ignored everyone's challenge to judge other civilizations by this bizarre standard. The average Roman citizen contributed more to humanity in a single day than you will in your lifetime.

>I suppose Mesopotamians, Egyptians, Greeks, Jews, French, and British are all Scandinavians now?

Nah, just none of them invented anything.

>Route Nationale 7 in France?
You're trying to tell me pic related was built by the Romans...

This might be a new low.

>The newspaper.
The first newspapers appeared in the 17th century.

Wrong.

>for example all the things falsely attributed to the Romans ITT.

You got proven wrong. Pretending that didn't happen won't change reality.

>You haven't been able to name a single fucking thing.
>NOT
>ONE
>THING

Brass
Crank handle
Glass blowing.

>You're trying to tell me pic related was built by the Romans...
Repaving does not count as making a new road, retard. It follows the exact same course hitting the exact same towns as the Roman route.

>The first newspapers appeared in the 17th century.
Wrong.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acta_Diurna

And seriously, let's see some real inventions from your butt-buddies like the Mesopotamians, Greeks, Egyptians, etc. Every single one of them was just a copy or was marginal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Roman_Empire

"Latin was the lingua franca of the early Roman Empire and later the Western Roman Empire, while particularly in the East indigenous languages such as Greek and to a lesser degree Egyptian and Aramaic language continued to be in use. Despite the decline of the Western Roman Empire, the Latin language continued to flourish in the very different social and economic environment of the Middle Ages, not least because it became the official language of the Roman Catholic Church. Koine Greek, which served as a lingua franca in the Eastern Empire, is still used today as a sacred language in some Eastern Orthodox churches.
In Western and Central Europe and parts of Africa, Latin retained its elevated status as the main vehicle of communication for the learned classes throughout the Middle Ages and well into the Renaissance and Baroque periods. Books which had a revolutionary impact on science, such as Nicolaus Copernicus' De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (1543) were composed in Latin. This language was not supplanted for scientific purposes by modern languages until the 18th century, and for formal descriptions in zoology and botany it survived to the later 20th century;[1] the modern international Binomial nomenclature holds to this day: the scientific name of each species is classified by a Latin or Latinized name.
Today the Romance languages, which comprise all languages that descended from Latin, are spoken by more than 800 million native speakers worldwide, mainly in the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Romance languages are either official, co-official, or significantly used in 72 countries around the world.[2][3][4][5][6][7]

latin is the root of French, Italian, Romanian, portugeese, and spanish

>Yes it does, you dimwit. Page 157.
Are you just frantically lying now or are you genuinely incapable of reading your own fucking link?

>Now where does it say they were professional troops?
What do you think a standing army is?

>No it wasn't.
Yes it was, as much as by any Romans. But a proper theory of the separation of powers only emerged with Montesquieu.

>ROMAN Emperor. And of course, it was not the first codified Roman bit of law.
Byzantine Greeks are not ancient Romans by any possible definition. And no, Roman law was not codified before that.

>So why would
There is no such thing as "European political identity". There is at most a delusional "Europe" meme which has been highly destructive.

>Pot, meet kettle.
Stop embarrassing yourself.

Amazing arguments in this post.

I bet you're the same as this guy

I feel like you're self aware based on that last bit

>What do you think a standing army is?
>He thinks a standing army is the same as a professional army
lmao

Just stop bumping his thread. He's just a troll. While I agree that he should kill himself, he's obviously too narcissistic to consider that.

OK sorry I haven't been able to respond to this yet because of the fucking avalanche of retardedness ITT.

Brass existed since prehistoric times, and glass blowing already existed in Persia, and got to Rome through the Jews.

However the crank handle does seem to be actually Roman. So congratulations, as far as I can tell we have our first Roman achievement ITT.
Roman achievements so far:
- the crank handle

Sanitation

Notice how the only person that agrees with OP is OP? Stop replying to him and let this thread die guys, he's literally baiting you all to the highest degree.

>Are you just frantically lying now or are you genuinely incapable of reading your own fucking link?
It's right in there. Learn to read.

>What do you think a standing army is?
An army that's deployed in peacetime. It says nothing about the state of its training, discipline, or the professionalism of its troops.

>Yes it was, as much as by any Romans. But a proper theory of the separation of powers only emerged with Montesquieu.
Nope. Aristotle never wrote about the theory of separation of power to ensure domestic balance, which is of course why you've not cited to anything. Montesquieu was just copying the Romans.

>Byzantine Greeks are not ancient Romans by any possible definition. And no, Roman law was not codified before that.
Wrong on both counts. That's why it was called the "Eastern ROMAN Empire", and yes, there was codified Roman law, in that link you ignored.

>There is no such thing as "European political identity".
Yes there is. Why do you think people talk and write about it if it doesn't exist?
>There is at most a delusional "Europe" meme which has been highly destructive.
Nope.

>Stop embarrassing yourself.
Pointing out your idiocy isn't embarrassing. A little irritating perhaps, but now I understand my brother who teaches middle school a bit better.

>Which isn't ancient Roman, but Byzantine Greek.

it's a Byzantine compilation of ancient Roman jurisprudence including the 12 tablets

>It follows the exact same course hitting the exact same towns as the Roman route.
lol so? Broadway is an old Indian path, who gives a shit? Is it a great achievement now to figure out how to get from A to B on foot?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acta_Diurna
So an official newsletter, not a newspaper. Do you have a source on that being the first? Seems like Greek cities would have had those kinds of public announcements as well.

>let's see some real inventions from your butt-buddies like the Mesopotamians, Greeks, Egyptians, etc.
Aristotelian logic, Euclidian mathematics, Athenian democracy, classical art and architecture, philosophy, you're an idiot.

So Romans had a language. Congrats, you proved they were more evolved than literal monkeys.

>this level of butthurt over having to face the truth about your autistic waifu-empire

>It's right in there. Learn to read.
If it was you would have just copied it. It's time to stop posting.

>It says nothing about the state of its training, discipline, or the professionalism of its troops.
Yeah no, you don't just get to pull a judgement out of your ass about Sumerians or Spartans not being professional enough for your tastes.

>Aristotle never wrote about the theory of separation of power to ensure domestic balance, which is of course why you've not cited to anything.
Can you cite Cato or Cicero doing that?

>Wrong on both counts.
>Ancient Rome existed in 1453
Ever getting tired of all this laughable straw-grabbing?

>Why do you think people talk and write about it if it doesn't exist?
Because sadly quite a few people are almost as historically illiterate as you are.

He's claiming the act of codification as an ancient Roman achievement. That codification was actually done by Byzantine Greeks. The origin of the laws it codified is irrelevant to the act of codification.

>He's claiming the act of codification as an ancient Roman achievement

welll yeah it is.

the 12 tablets.

Military tactics

see OK so we have exactly one legitimate Roman achievement so far: the crank handle.

Ever heard of the 10 Commandments? Or the code of Hammurabi?

I'm afraid Romans didn't invent military tactics either.

>if something was invented by someone else but improved by the Romans, it wasn't a Roman invention
>if something was invented by the Romans and someone else improved it, it also wasn't a Roman invention
By that logic, no one has ever invented anything.

Sage tbqh

>Ever heard of the 10 Commandments?

not laws

Or the code of Hammurabi?

more of a constitutional body, nothing civil

The thing is Rome is so incredibly overrated that people give it credit for all kinds of shit that has nothing to do with Romans. This is what you see ITT, with people just posting whatever comes to their minds without bothering to check, because they're just that convinced that it must all come from glorious Rome.

Then you have the really far gone types who even after being proven wrong just get ridiculously buttmad, instead of admitting that perhaps their limitless admiration for a mediocre culture may have been misplaced.

>>if something was invented by the Romans
>still hasn't been able to name a single example of this
>just keeps repeating the same post like a mantra

That's completely wrong, the 10 Commandments are obviously laws, as are all the other Old Testament laws, and the code of Hammurabi includes all kinds of civil shit like contract law.

Please don't start saying random bullshit hoping it will stick.

I see the point that youre trying to make op, the romans didn't invent much original stuff, but they improved and innovated a lot of inventions and concepts like engineering

You can't overrate the birth of all modern states and free societies

Every kindom and empire is based on the Roman model, we use words like Senate, Tribunal, Consul, Century, Militia, Federation, Regent, Imperium, Jurisprudence, Jurisdiction, Justice, etc.

Rome brought everything to everyone all over Europe and the mediterranean, for over a thousand years

Don't feed the troll for fuck's sake.

>What have the Romans ever done for us!?

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL

Glassblowing

Aqueducts

Words are just words. Form, not essence.

For instance our parliaments descend directly from Germanic parliaments, not from the Roman senate, even if they later adopted some of its words and other superficial trappings.

A dream which inspired countless amounts of people to conquer and expand to try and reach the coattails of the Glory which was the empire

Read the thread FFS.

This is basically this thread

Hydraulic mining

Eh, Alexander inspired more conquest.

Books.

ITT: Eternal G*rm being willfully obtuse

Aqueducts

Ah fuck, yeah Alex the great inspired conquest. I don't really know enough about the Romans to comment on this I guess

Man, this is getting tiring, just look it up yourselves.

Western Civilization

What are you even talking about, the book is a Roman invention. If you're tired of being wrong maybe just stop being willfully ignorant?

The source he used might not say anything about the Romans inventing triage but it does say something about the Romans inventing surgical clamps. So there you go. If nothing else they invented surgical clamps.