Fuckin Rad African Wars

What was the weirdest (i.e. coolest) African war.

in b4 pre-zimbabwe bush hotpants

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c5xJpj7EmQM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Katanga
youtu.be/xXun50y3Xgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

africa dump

fuckin rhodesia man among men cuz they killed niggurrrrrs

The Toyota War was pretty dope

Congo Wars ?

Why is his face spotty?

This or the rwandan genocide

Liberia

tribal marks, sudanese probably

Pretty sure that's from Charles Taylor's Liberia and Sierra Leone wars. Pure Mad Max madness

Operation No Living Thing, 1999

This was Congo though.

probably one of the civil wars, they were really interesting.
I think if the come to modern history africa is one of the most interresting places to study

How to move to Africa to do mercenary work?

Spoilers: Untrained cannon fodder aren't very valuable.

Depends, but generally you have to be part of a group of mercenaries to begin with
If you are in special forces they will likely make you an offer
the big mercenary companies generally dont make basic training and recruit already trained personal
So you should probably start with your countries armed forces.
You can obviously go to africa and ask some warlord but if you are lucky he uses you for ransom money

Dumping CAR circa 2015

Military experience, and several years experience in a PMC.

They mainly hire locals because they can pay them less, so you'll have to prove that your worth the extra money

Not going to lie. That looks kind of cool. I think its good for a people to maintain their traditions.

Don't really need to be special forces. Any real infantry experience should do.

Having a functioning weapon, aiming down your sights instead of randomly firing, following orders, not being high, all put you pretty far ahead.

see

> homemade shotguns
fucking hipsters, why can´t they get an AK47 like everyone else

CAR hasn't functioned since Bokasa died in the 1970s so there has been no government to use resource wealth to buy weapons.

It's basically just been a stateless zone for 50 year. When you don't even have shit worth plundering no one sells you weapons.

war amulets, holy fucking shit

I've read this a dozen times and it never gets old.

What if Clinton had expanded troop levels in '93 instead of reducing them?

Which is worse, Congo or CAR?

I was in the US Army for 8 years. When I got out I was randomly contacted by Academi (formerly Blackwater). They were looking for medics and gate guards. I don't know how they got my info. In the Army I worked in a hospital setting patching guys up, and never did anything combat related. I told them to fuck off.

I kind of like that one tribe in the center of Africa who broke off as separatists, the Rwenzururu. I love geography and coincidentally watched a sixties anime that was set here, but dealt with the animals mostly and not conflict.

>Heart of Africa, literally
>Mountain region between Uganda and Congo
>Literal jungle peple, nobody in Uganda thinks they're a threat
>Congo doesn't care, they're too big and what's one valley in a country that's basically one dense forest?
>Idi Amin does some shit
>These guys descend out of the jungle with AKs and cut themselves off, declaring independence
>Over the years fuck up the Lord's Army
Eventually Uganda grants the kingdom some weird cultural recognition and self-governance

The highest point is also the central part of Africa, and ancient explorers thought it was the Moon Mountains, a chain that supposedly stretched east to west, culminating with this one mountain. It takes an almost mythical role to them, and was probably the first thing to be called the Pearl of Africa iirc. The jungles here are still in another century.

>the nibba with the confederate shirt

Not an entire war, but the torture and execution of the former head of state, after he walked into an area known to be under the control of the rebels, was pretty interesting desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=c5xJpj7EmQM

Oh, this also happened on live television.

CAR. Think about Africa's exploding population, even in where AIDS is super high and war is endemic. Still, rapid growth.

CAR managed loose 300,000 people between attempted "censuses" in the early 00s and teens.

Ok, 300k, but out of how many?

...just 4 million.

Why did Israel get involved in the Congo wars?

No meme answers please

You're both wrong, it's from the fictional movie Johnny Mad Dog about a group about a group of child soldiers fighting a civil war in Liberia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

The Ogaden War was pretty neat, especially compared to most cripple-fight-tier African conflicts.

>Siad Barre backed by Soviets
>Ethiopia just dropped by US thanks to regime change and a few human rights abuses here and there
>Barre, in his infinite wisdom, decides to spend all his commibux on weapons and funding terrorists in "Greater Somalia"
>Greater Somalia (pic related) in Ethiopia consists of Ogaden - a worthless, sparsely inhabited wasteland populated by the occasional goat herder
>Barre one day sends his army across the border without any declaration of war
>Only with the Somalis halfway to Dire Dawa do the Ethiopians even realize this is more than just an insurgent campaign
>the five F-5Es of the Ethiopian Air Force spring into action
>shoot down 10 or so planes directly, cause another ~5 to crash in a panick, and destroy about 10 more in raids on airbases
>Ethiopian Air Force suffers its only losses when the airbase at Dire Dawa is briefly overrun, leading to the loss of some T-28s and transports

>cont

>Meanwhile, as Somalis bog down at Dire Dawa, Soviets ask them to maybe not go invading neighbors out of nowhere
>Barre responds by expelling all 20,000 Soviets from the country overnight
>Soviets immediately turn around and throw all their support behind Ethiopia
>Soviets launch largest airlift effort since WW2 to pour men and materiel into Ethiopia
>Planes diverted from Yemen to bolster Ethiopian Air Force
>A fucking satellite launch altered just to provide intel for the Ethiopians
>About 1,000 Soviet "advisors" and something like a division of Cubans along with a squadron or two of Cuban fighters show up
>front stabilizes
>Somalis sit with their thumbs up their asses while Ethiopians/Soviets/Cubans/Yemenis prepare to gangrape them
>Somalis finally decide to launch their "final" offensive to capture Dire Dawa once and for all
>On the same day the Ethiopians launched theirs
>Somalis shattered, fall back to the next major town
>Cubans perform first airborne armored assault in history to put armor behind Somali forces while Ethiopians perform frontal assault
>Somali army breaks into a rout
>Ethiopians chase them to the border
>Half the Somali air force destroyed, the rest out of commission thanks to lack of Soviet support
>every single Somali tank destroyed and most heavy equipment lost

It's pretty funny except for the whole several thousand people dying part.

wasn´t there the biggest tank battle after ww2 or something?

Nah the indo-pakistan wars hold that title.

My favorite is the Katanga War. With groups of mercenaries on both communist and anti-communist sides. It ended in Che Guevara's defeat which for him was the beginning of the end.
Lots of cool stories about people going there and risking lives in the most extreme conditions because of their political beliefs.

Does anybody have any good book recommendations for African wars and warfare?

I love how everyone looks like a cocaine addled cobbled mess that's about to start some serious Mad Max shit, except for the guy in the confederate shirt. He just looks like some poor fucker from L.A. who somehow got teleported into this mess, and has to play it cool until he can find some way to get the fuck out of there.

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason Stearns is really good. It focuses on the war instead of the refugees.

but can niggurz fights wars

someone post the screencap of the african paratroopers that almost blew up that dam

When Mussolini put the Libyans in concentration camps was pretty cool.

The Kabarebe Blitz as well as Rwanda fucking around with Congo

>Here

What part of Africa are you in? Tell us more please!

Got what he deserved. Indigenous scum.

actually yom kippur war does

Thanks for misinterpreting Rhodesia to spread your scumbag lies.

Are there any other Mad Max level shenanigans going down in Africa?

This is kinda a case where the meme answer is true. Not much reason to get involved apart from wanting diamonds.

Liberian Civil War

>I don't know how they got my info.

This is pretty scary once you think about it. How the hell would they get the info they need to snipe you from the pool of people just leaving service and get enough info on you to make that call?

just standard datamining
don't have any pretense of privacy in the age of the internet m8

Sierra Leone and Liberia were the same war. It had the crazy costumes IRL.

The documentary is Vice from DRC

>soviet money fighting soviet money

haha dumb ruskies, good thing this will never happen to us

The funny thing for me was that it was one of the few times the Soviets were unequivocally benevolent good guys in a conflict.

The US, meanwhile, "backed" Barre but unsurprisingly was unwilling to provide much support even after the war.

It did have crazy costumes, but those specific pictures are movie stills

These ones I think are real though

I meant here as in relation to the place.
But Africa will always be in my heart

Was there ever an instance of guys like these meeting actual soldiers and promptly getting their shit horribly and forcefully pushed in?

Well this one time in Mogadishu....

The more years of experience in your armed forces you have, the more likely you are to be approached. Spec ops training is obviously a big point that PMCs look for, and especially experience with training foreign forces in hostile zones. Bush and jungle experience are very very big pluses.

t. South African with friend in the special forces.

This can't be real.

Executive Outcomes in Sierra Leone. Upon their arrival the capital was the last government holdout and under siege. When they left the RUF was contained to a handful of isolated pockets, all the diamond mines were back in government hands, and the bulk of RUF forces were destroyed or fled back to Liberia, with their leaders at the negotiating table.

>Riding with the Cookie Monster
Mah niggas

>Care Bear-kid and Bride-nigger
This pic just made my day.
Anyone have an explanation for why they dressed so goofy?
Do they believe that it will act as some sort of magical protection?

What's with the pouches/patches?

Looks like a Chappelle-sketch.

That's not real, it's from a movie, but many African soldiers dress just as outrageously in real life. Wearing shit like Halloween costumes and bridal gowns makes you stand out and can scare or confuse your enemies.

Because paramilitaries in Africa rarely have real uniforms, these found costumes also allow soldiers to identify each other.

>Kabarebe tries to use his satellite phone to call Kigali
>forgot the lock-out key
>has to drive all the way to Banana, on the coast to steal a satellite phone
>the key to his original satellite phone was 1234
This is like those comic troopers in the Gods Must Be Crazy. The thread also mentioned that the source is

Yeah, realised my mistake when I read through the thread (posting after reading the whole thing is a lession I really should have learnt by now).

However is there nothing more to the goofy apparal of some african paramilitaries than wanting to stand out from the norm and thus gaining a sort of uniform? With all the other shit one hears from african warstories, such as cannibalism granting invulnerability, and exotic tribal cultures I was somehow hoping for a more whimsical answer.
Perhaps I shouldn't expect real life to be a work of fiction.

witchcraft stuff
my guess is amulets to close your body to bullets

holy shit

Came in here to find this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Katanga

Katangese mercenary stands guard over captured Irish ONUC troops, 1961.

The Katanga war was fucking crazy.

youtu.be/xXun50y3Xgk

Honestly, Cold War Africa is extremely overlooked.

Is that link live warfare or just some practices? Some of the parts just seem too moviesque.