Thoughts on the Crown of Aragon?

Thoughts on the Crown of Aragon?

A meme

Aesthetic borders desu

Should've never given up on Murcia.

>Should've never given up on Murcia.
>They could have kept it
It was a meme kingdom that wasn't totally annexed by Castile due blood ties.

>kept it
What are you talking about? It was never owned by Aragon. They simply did a treaty with the Castillians to give them the land. Which they shouldn't have, is what I'm saying.

A fucking mistake who ruins Castilla

How can a successor of Charlemagne's counties be a mistake in any way shape or form?

They get part of it. Not bad.

Yeah but losing the other part made Castille have access to the Mediterranean - which fucked Aragon's supremacy in that region and was the start of their downfall.

If they didn't do that treaty Ferdinand the III would have annexed Valencia before Aragon conquered it

I thought they did the agreement to appease their neighbors and prevent future wars, I didn't know it was that specific.
t. just an Iberian history fan

>Aragon not better than Castille

Yes they did. But the Taifa of Valencia offered vassalage to Ferdinand the III. The only reason he declined was the pact. In fact Castile got hurt the most by that pact once you think about it

In what way was it better?

In the long run, it started the downfall of Aragon so I don't think it was that bad.

Aragon had more influence on the medieval world.

The downfall of Aragon is the black death
No it didn't

Aragon had trade deals and commercial influence all over the Mediterranean. They even owned some Crusade land for sometime.
Castille was geographically stuck in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula. I don't see how they could have had more influence.

The downfall of Aragon is getting Castille'd

>Aragon had trade deals and commercial influence all over the Mediterranean.
And Castile was more powerful in the med sea through Genova
>They even owned some Crusade land for sometime.
A bunch of mercs created a county in Athens
>Castille was geographically stuck in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula. I don't see how they could have had more influence.
Basically controlling northern trade in the English channel and having the biggest christian navy by far.

I don't see how Genoa is related to any of this at all.

>I don't see how Genoa is related to any of this at all.
It became a commercial partner of Castile in the XIII.The war of the 2 Peters started because Aragon attacked Genova to begin with.I know that you are clueless but at least don't be cocky about a subject that you clearly have no fucking clue.

I wasn't trying to be cocky. I literally just asked a bunch of question and admitted to not seeing connections when I don't know the facts. God everyone in Veeky Forums is so touchy.

VERY aesthetic borders

should have colonized north africa for even more A E S T H E T I C

Catalan niggers want to appropiate it saying it actually was the "Catalano-Aragonese Crown"

Well without Catalonia it would have achieved jack shit.

t. Aragonigger

Well pretty much the whole nobility was Catalan, the language they spoke and wrote with was Catalan, it was also with Catalan that they expanded. The title was Aragonese basically because they pope wouldn't grant them Kingdomhood due to them supposedly being vassals to France.

Surviving the Aragonese Crusade was impressive. They could easily have gone the fate of Languedoc after the Albigensian Crusade there, getting absorbed by the French crown.

And it really goes to show the moral degeneration of the Papacy in the late 13th century that it would use the crusading ideal to try to punish a family because it supported the Hohenstaufen against their beloved Angevins.