Korean War thread

67 years ago today the Korean War began.

*police action

>Korean War is 67 years old. Say something nice about her

Just three generations and the two countries couldn't be less alike.

Does the idea/theory that North Korea and the Juche ideology are derivatived from Japanese Imperialism and rule over Korea (especially in the 30's) have any credible ground?

Why is it that the Korean war is often forgotten and left alone when the Vietnam war is still being talked about?

The south koreans started it.

/thread

Because Korea didn't have memorable shit like It Ain't Me and imagery or a modern news cycle

People who experienced living in the same time frame as the Korean War are pretty old, plus it was right between WW2 and Vietnam

??

Vietnam was longer and caused more loss of life. Also it had different political and social impacts on the homefront.

WWII and especially Vietnam became so enmeshed in our pop culture. References to Hitler are still all over the place (ie, here), and movies about Vietnam are so good and widely known (Platoon, Apocalypse Now, even Forrest Gump).
Korea definitely is really interesting, especially seeing the results in the different Koreas today. But I can also see how it's the "Forgotten War."

Are north korean girls hotter than south korean girls?

It's always struck me as odd that MASH is one of the most popular shows ever made and set in Korea but no one gives a shit about the actual war

Ah thats true.. I was trying to come up with some movie or TV show that took place in Korea..
But yeah, MASH does and it was/is wildly popular. But there's not a big emphasis on the war itself, it's just kinda a backdrop IIRC.

Also MASH ran for 11 years but the actual war was only 3 years.

We at least know they're shorter

>it's just kinda a backdrop IIRC.
You could say the same thing about Apocalypse Now (Heart of Darkness: Vietnam Edition), and a lot of other Vietnam films quite honestly. Only Platoon is really about Vietnam in and of itself because a vet made it

surely platoon wouldn't make much sense unless it was set in the vietnam war?

That's what I'm saying user, though I'd also like to add Jacobs Ladder in hindsight seeing as it was based on experimental combat drugs developed during that time

MASH was set in Korea but was really just a commentary on the Vietnam War.

>Between the Big wars of WW2 and Vietnam
>In the middle of bum fuck nowhere
>Soldier look almost the same as WW2 so not iconic using BAR's and such
>No point as it ends in a draw and pretty much a status quo ante bellum
Inchon was cool though.

>That time MacArthur decided his job was to annex North Korea and brought China into the war making it go for another 3 years
>Then acted like everything was lost and begged for China to bet bombed because he couldn't handle a war not happening on islands
I don't even know why MacArthur is a such a meme, without Ridgeway all of Korea would be communist

Ehh maybe. I definitely don't think it would have the power it does if it was set in any other conflict. Like the breakdown in command that allows Brando to be Kurtz it what's awesome, and the like illegal war in Cambodia/Laos or wherever. It would definitely have a different feel if it were set in like WWI or II or Korea or something. More restrictive, I guess?
Heart of Darkness works on the same level cause it's that same kind of breakdown in communication, with the Col not contacting the colonist administrators in the Congo. If they were gonna set Conrad in a modern setting, I think Vietnam was the best choice.

I was also gonna say this. It's set in Korea to give them the ability to critique and comment on Vietnam without coming off as too preachy.

>GEE I SURE DO HATE WAR
>WAR IS BAD GUYS
>I DON'T WANT TO HERE IN A WAR
>Every fucking episode
Hawkeye is the most preachy cunt ever committed to film it wouldn't matter what setting it had

Do you now any based movie with detailed maps and skirmish modeling?
Fun fact for you: Soviet documents still secrete.