Owns the entire Mediterranean

>owns the entire Mediterranean
Seriously, who the fuck did they trade with?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road#Roman_Empire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Black Kings

Themselves

Why not look at the numbers instead

You have a whole Mediterranean sitting around making your trade for you?

That's slavery.

>It's society. They work for each other, Morty. They pay each other. They buy houses.

>They get married and make children that replace them when they get too old to make power.

That just sounds like slavery with extra steps.

>Ooh-la-la, someone's gonna get laid in college

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road#Roman_Empire

why would you need to trade when you control that much?

the chinese

Doesn't seem like slavery to me, user. None of the merchants or craftsmen in the roman empire worked "for" rome, they were just taxed when they traded with other members of the empire.

>unironically using a Rick and Morty quote
Mcfucking kill yourself senpai

Uhhh this. What kind of a stupid question is that OP?

This
Faggot

China

>metropolis conquer new land
>roman laws & send slaves to work for rome
> said territories commerce with nearby people and send tribute to metropolis
>territory gets huge
>military conquest stagnate
>slaves flow decreases dramatically
>road to ruin

>quoting rick and morty
plebbit was a mistake

They didn't need trade when they had everything they needed

This

The Romans had direct martitime trade links with Yemen, Aden, Oman, India and Sri Lanka. Traders there had links with China, Thailand, Burma, etc. They traded all kinds of things like gold, spices, etc.

You can ship production and food from one of your cities to another, but you need a different civilization in order to trade for a profit

Why would they need to trade? Their currency is mineable. They can be self-sustaining. Arguably, their obsession with foreign (Asian) goods was a major cause of problems within the economy.

They took a system that could self-sustain for a good long time and exported it East.
Profit? They could simply produce more. They had slave labor, a system which sustains very well when damned paper currency isn't in the way. Profit is inherent, trade simply opens a hole for that profit to leak from.

Wrong. Profits are divorced from whether trade is internal or external.

fag

best bait I've seen in a while, or I hope it's bait

wat

>but you need a different civilization in order to trade for a profit

So an egyptian selling grain to a gaul while both being part of the roman empire won't make a profit, while few centuries before he did, being independent ?

you've been playing too much Civ

Kill yourself

If you ever opened a book you retard fuck youd know one of the reasons of Rome's economy decliend was trade with the East which depleted their silver and gold reserves,

Retard

this, lol

if this is bait it is the funniest shit ever
if not it is the most cringiest

profit is between individuals. you're thinking of civilisations as single entities either individuals or companies engaged in same operations

it's the same idea why people think US is dependent on China

You fucking fool.

China, Persia, India, etc.

Historically it was impossible to sail past sicily both ways until the 1830s up to thst time the journey from france to greece, lets say, took 12 years

Nigger do you even know what domestic market is? They also traded with the Arabians.

>took 12 years
Wrong

Jesus Christ, Veeky Forums really does always take the bait.

Modern humans have longer legs therefore shorter walking time, also roads, sidewalks, etc.

>if someone from California trades with someone in Texas, he can't turn a profit

How on Earth did they do it?

Google maps doesn't factor in resting on long walking trips, so you're really looking at a ~2 month journey there. And that's with modern roads. The lower level of fitness people have in the modern era compared to the average medieval person might balance it out a bit, but you could probably get by carrying just water and a little food today where that route before would've required the same kind of prep you'd make to walk the Appalachian trail today.

But what you must understand is that there were no boats back then.

I laughed so hard

Do what?

>would've required the same kind of prep you'd make to walk the Appalachian trail today

which takes ~6 months, not 12 fucking years. I can't believe I'm replying to this bait.

12 years by ship you fucking retard

The Romans solved this by splitting in to two seperate halves

Being this mad about a decent cartoon.

Technically speaking, the empire was never formally divided. It was merely a product of it having two emperors and that inadvertently spawning a second court and bureaucracy.

>all those people who angrily responded not knowing it was a Civ joke

>R&R
>Decent

Actually slip at the top of the staircase.

it

Who the hells plays that game?

>you need a different civilization in order to trade for a profit

did your video games teach you this

What is this nonsense?

>there were no boats in the time of the roman empire
what the hell is this board

I'll just leave this here...

Boats only were developed a decade or two before the plane

Well that's an obvious jokester. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only poster on Veeky Forums without autism.

please die

reminder that we share our board with these """"people""""

fucking kill yourself

top b8

Please go back to plebbit you absolute fucking plebian.

>aksum
>south arabian states
>india
>china

>russia
>18
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>I was only pretending to be retarded!

I hope you meant months. 12 years is a patently absurd amount of time, the Romans marched entire armies, complete with baggage trains and camp followers, across Europe in a fraction of that time.

reddit'de gediyorsun

Persia, India, Germania, the Baltics through the Amber Road, Sudan, Ethiopia, and China.

Hes making a joke about civ

Are you the same "Takes decades to sail to Sardinia" retard I saw back in June or July 2016.

ancients counted time differently first of all, so that many hours could easily be 12 years in the ancient mind, because their processing power was lower. second, most of europe was swamp and forest in those days and more rocks existed on the landscape before all the rocks were quarried in the 19th century to make cow fields. the death rate was too high on a journey anyway because mosquito kills people, so there'd be too few people to know the direction, so you'd inevitable get lost because when you get to a village you find that everyone there has only traveled 2 miles outside it in their whole life. all these conditions taken into account you arrive at a travel time of ten years at fastest, though i'd say 12 is more appropriate. as the other user says too people were shorter, suffered from vitamin deficiency and had smaller pack animals, all making the journey require frequent resting and more pain than necessary